PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell

Ken43
01-24-2017, 08:39 AM
I am retired LE. I carry either a Kahr PM9 or a CW9. I also have a M&P shield 9 that I normally don't carry because of weight and nerve damage in my back. I am thinking of selling the M&P shield. Would you guys sell it or hang on to it???

Bawanna
01-24-2017, 08:47 AM
I'd have to think on that one awhile myself. If you like the gun otherwise maybe other carry options would help. Cross draw or appendix carry or something. Seems every gun I've ever sold caused me regret at some time. I've tried to avoid the practice entirely.

I keep thinking sell and refocus, less gun but better quality logic but doesn't help much.

You must be hurting pretty good, the Shield isn't very heavy or large.

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

CPTKILLER
01-24-2017, 08:52 AM
If it is a safe queen, then adios. It is nothing special like some weapons.

JohnR
01-24-2017, 08:58 AM
I'd hang on to it. I love my Shield, and I think it's a good idea to have a standby in case your EDC needs a trip to a gunsmith or is otherwise out of circulation.

Shields are as common as weeds, you likely wouldn't get a lot of money for a used one right now, if that makes a difference. I keep trying to sell off some of my safe queens, but I just don't have the salesman's touch, no one's biting.

downtownv
01-24-2017, 01:22 PM
The M&P shield has had 2 recalls, if I had one and it sat in the safe it would be off like yesterday underpants!

berettabone
01-24-2017, 02:53 PM
If you don't need the denaro, keep it, or, do what I've done a lot of, make a trade.......................you get to shoot a lot of different firearms without the price tag......................

Nytcrawler93
01-24-2017, 07:14 PM
Nothing special about it. Get something you will shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwh
01-24-2017, 07:32 PM
I pocket carry a CM9 90% of the time. I bought a 40S&W Shield on impulse when they first came out. Nothing wrong with it ,but I like my Kahr better.
However, when I want deep concealment, I carry at the 12:00 position with a soft pouch holster below the belt line. I use my Shield because it has a thumb safety. The 12:00 position is very comfortable for me and no strain on the back.
The Shield thumb safety also provided mental comfort when I tried appendix carry, as I hated the ICK factor of poking my femoral artery.
Maybe hang onto the Shield if it has the thumb safety as you may someday want an alternate method of carry. If not, I see no reason to keep it other than the reasons already stated by other members above..

Ken43
01-25-2017, 03:53 PM
I have decided to keep the M&P Shield, at least for a while. I found some other alternative carry positions and it seems to be working. Thank you for all the comments.

AIRret
01-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Ken, first off welcome to the forum, there are lots of good people here.

I've had two back surgeries and when I want to carry a heavy gun I wear suspenders that hook under my carry belt and it really helps. My favorite full size gun to carry is a CZ sp 01 tactical that weighs a good three pound when fully loaded, and suspenders make all the difference. You can also try a contoured belt from comp-tac (I'll post their web address). The contoured belts are easier to break in than the other gun belts. I know for me pressure from a new belt can be miserable.
With a lighter gun you can also use a double thick web belt. I've found the web belts to be softer against a tender back. I adjust according to what kind of day I'm having. Good luck, adjusting to significant back issues isn't easy.

AIRret
01-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Ken, here's the link;

http://www.comp-tac.com/gun-belts/kydex-reinforced-contour-belt-10511

berettabone
01-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Perry Suspenders are one of the brands/types mentioned above. I have a pair I use for heavier firearms. They work well. Takes a lot of pressure off of the beltline. I wear regular suspenders to help me pocket carry. Once again, takes the pressure off of your beltline. Over the years, I've had to go lighter and lighter with the firearms, and the holsters. Just 5 years ago, I would have never thought about anything but leather for a holster, and now I use kydex. You could also make it a bedside/table firearm.:)