PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Kahr today: my feedback on CustomerService and Product

wagon
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
First off, a quick run down on the gun (since I have not headed to the range yet): Today I took home my very first Kahr gun from a LGS, a new PM9, which I REALLY like how it feels in my hand, and almost everything about it. I will post a range report after a range time, but so far I am very happy with the overall quality of the package.

The box shows a model # "P9093A", although I've read from another post that "A" doesn't not mean anything but I am still curious about it... The PM9 has a serial # IB29xx, but since there isn't a "test fired envelope" in the box I cannot tell the "birth date" of it ... so I wanted to give them a call to find out more about my new gun.

(Now I hope Kahr is reading.....)

It was 12 noon PST (3pm EST), and I could not get to a live person. I had to keep cycling in the automatic voice system (and music) every other few minutes to circle back to Option 1. Finally I must have exhausted the cycle-count of their system I could no longer loop back and only the system choice was to leave a message.. ..Total wait time 12+ minutes. I told myself: They must be very busy (and that can happen to every companies).

so I re-dialed. Same thing, I came to a same point that the system only gave me a choice to leave message. 12+ minutes.

Just for the kick of it, I re-dial again, same old same old.. at 12+ minutes, the system only gave you a choce to leave a message.

That makes a total of 36+ minutes wait time without ever picked up by any live person in the company.

That's really bad, it's unacceptable! Gun (and ammmo) manufacturers are the minor few today which are not affect by the recession, in fact they have been enjoy good busienss in the past few years, so they can't be downsized to the level that donlt have enough staff to pick up phone calls???? This is my 1st Kahr but not my first gun, I have had a few pistol and long guns, and I have had called them up to use their service in the past, but never had the same no-answer experience as I have today with Kahr.

Understandably it didn't leave me a good first impression on Kahr's service to their customers, which always ring home coz I've been in Sales and Customer Service functions for 30+ years, and we are VERY serious in customer service and phone coverage. May be today Kahr had an unusually-ultra-busy-day, or may be they had a hic-up with their phone system ...

but now, I just PRAY that my PM9 will function as perfectly as it looks, and it will NEVER have needs for me to contact their "Service" dept, ... and that I won't have to experience again the same frustarting 30+ minutes wait time, all for nothing.

That aside, the built quality on my PM9 is at least, impressive, to me.

500KV
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I would guess your problem was probably due to the time of day you tried to call.
I have only called one time (about 9am EST) and got through right away.
You might have better luck by emailing them with your questions, really don't know.

BTW..What's a "test fired envelope"?
I didn't receive a test fired round with my PM9 for what that's worth.
Anyway, I'm sure you will like your PM9.
Good luck.

Bigcube
09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I had good luck emailing them. I can't check my home email from work but I emailed them at night and there was a reply the next day when I got home. With a IB29XX serial number it must be pretty new. Mine was IB11xx and was made in 7/22/09. Look on the yellow tag on the top of the case for the date.

Spank the Monkey
09-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Kahr's customer service can be a bugger to get a hold of! Been there and done that with a similar experience to yours. In all fairness, Ian and Sean are pretty personable guys once you reach them.

I'm sure after break-in your PM9 will run fine. Mine took a few more rnds than I thought it would before it ran smoothly. They're fun to shoot and make the perfect EDC!

P40
09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
BTW..What's a "test fired envelope"?
I didn't receive a test fired round with my PM9 for what that's worth.
Anyway, I'm sure you will like your PM9.
Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Posting what I know happened to me and hoping for someone to add or correct what I write...
I think he may be speaking of how some manufac. will fire the handgun and actually put the empty brass in an envelope or similar, and then put it in the box. I have bought only one handgun that this happened to. It was a S&W M&P 40cal. last year. I asked the vendor at the time what this about. I was told the bullet fired was filed away somewhere with the serial # to my handgun (in case used in a crime I assume), ....creepy. Again this is a S&W which has been known to go along with that kind of %$# ;o) so he may have been right. Maybe some manufac. do this for you to see that it has been test fired? I don't know.
Regardless of the reason, why put the empty brass in my box anyway.
Does anyone know more?

wagon
09-29-2009, 11:51 PM
I think he may be speaking of how some manufac. will fire the handgun and actually put the empty brass in an envelope or similar, and then put it in the box. I have bought only one handgun that this happened to.

Yes, that's what I meant. I have a Bersa 380cc bought this year and it does come with one, but then there is none in my HK USPc40 which I purchase ~12 year ago .. nor had one in the SP101.

I am under the impression that Kahr does provide one based on what I read from the Kahr serial # sticky, the original poster did reference the "envelope" and the date stamp.

Been fondling the PM9 all night, really like it, can't wait to head out to the range and find out how it performs.

Bigcube
09-30-2009, 03:23 AM
No, Kahr does not provide the case. In NY if there is not a fired case in the box the dealer needs to take it somewhere to have it done. It's called Ballistic Finger printing.

500KV
09-30-2009, 06:16 AM
I have received a fired case with some of my Sigs but not with other guns I have.
Kahr may do the ballistic fingerprinting thing and keep the case on file. Who knows.

wagon
09-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Yes, they did respond to my e-mail promptly, got a reply today answered all my questions. May be they just had a bad day yesterday, may be I was calling at the tail end of the work day, understandably sh8t happens. Anyway, it's all good.

* IB29xx is also a July 2009 production.
* test-fired case only supply to Sates where required by State Laws
* A = "newer model"

I had good luck emailing them. I can't check my home email from work but I emailed them at night and there was a reply the next day when I got home. With a IB29XX serial number it must be pretty new. Mine was IB11xx and was made in 7/22/09. Look on the yellow tag on the top of the case for the date.

Dietrich
09-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Bummer.Sorry to hear about your problem with customer service or the lack thereof. After reading your post I sent an e-mail to the service dept. with a question. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get back to me. On another note,congratulations on your purchase.I hope yours is as troublefree as mine has been.

johnh
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I would not let one day's phone experience establish your impression of Kahr's service staff. I have dealt with many businesses over the years and found that any company can have an off day handling some aspect of their operations. It could be a simple as a few key people off or system problems. I would say prompt answers to emails are often a bigger challenge given the volume of such traffic companies receive these days. It only takes a few seconds to email, and many people use that as their first choice in communicating.

The main thing is enjoy your pistol! I am sure it will win you over very quickly!

:D

John

wagon
09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
(Dietrich: Tks, I do have hight expectation on the PM9, will find out soon. btw, as I said and as per other ssuggested, they did reply to my e-mail promptly.)

Sure nuff, John. I am a fair minded person and I know 1st handedly how a
bad day in the office can be. I have nothing against Kahr otherwise I wouldn't have bought and put trust in their product.

I will remain neutral and won't make judgement by a bad day.... however, understandably, the three calls yesterday reminded me right away some of those posts I read from other forums of similar experience.

BTW, I am an old school ... I always prefer dealing with live persons as much as I can; or may be I'm just an impatience person that I always want what I need "right away" ... oh well, one of my vice. :o

dshreck
10-02-2009, 07:16 AM
I am a stickler about wanting to speak to a live person also. My experience with Kahr has been: If you call first thing in the morning, you will usely get someone right away: If you leave a message, they are normally prompt at returning your call. At most, the next day: If you email them in the evening time, I have always had a reply first thing the next morning. That is pretty good IMHO. When I have needed a upgraded part or parts, they have always been prompt in sending them out with no questions asked and free of charge. Again, I don't have much patience when it comes to customer service, but I can assure you these guys are top notch. Ian and Sean are great guys and I am sure that they are quite busy everyday. Even so, I have always found them courteous and prompt to handle any questions or issues I have ever had. If you follow my suggestions, I think you will be very happy with their service.

Sincerely,

dshreck
P.S. I initially refused to leave a message and kept calling back. All that did was raise my blood pressure. Next time leave a message, I assure you it will be returned.

wagon
10-02-2009, 08:04 AM
:D We are like twins on this front, dshreck! Good to know what would be the best time for a live chat.

All: Thanks for sharing of your favorable experience with Kahr, as I said, it probably was a bad day or had issue with their phone system.

Anyway, I have given the new gun a good wipe down, and have gathered up several brands of 9mm, it is ready for the 1st trip to the range. Will submit a separate post accordingly.

Again, thanks for all your feedback.

P.S. I initially refused to leave a message and kept calling back. All that did was raise my blood pressure. Next time leave a message, I assure you it will be returned.

Diocoles
10-02-2009, 10:23 AM
My emails have been promptly answered. Very nice responses and response time.

Goldflinger
10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I e-mailed a question this morning and had a response within the hour! Excellent!!!