PDA

View Full Version : totally unbiased p380 test

bossbird
09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Took wife to range this past weekend. She wanted to try some "purse" handguns. Her house pistol is a HK p2000sk 9mm. Her car handgun is a 13.5oz S&W 32 h&r mag 6 shot revolver. She wanted a smaller pistol for the mall and grocery store trips. I let her shoot 3 brand new 380 purse guns. Ruger lcp,Kel-tec p3at and Kahr p380. All three are less than 3mths old. She does not know one brand from the other. I did not comment about one brand or the other. She just shot 30 rds from each pistol. Six rds from each pistol 5 different times. All three pistol were flawless on reliability. Then I ask her comments. Here is what she said. First she said she did not want to shoot anymore that day. I guess 90 rds was enough. Easiest and most fun to shoot was the Kahr p380. Best point and shoot accuracy was the Kahr p380. The least felt recoil was the Kahr P380. Pistol she would like to carry in purse was the Kahr p380. The Kel-tec took second place and Ruger lcp was last. Is this the same order I would put them in? Maybe yes maybe no. However, the above story is truly a totally unbiased test. Thought I would share the results.

Dietrich
09-30-2009, 05:04 AM
I guess each person needs to try different guns so they can fit their own needs but your wife`s response certainly speaks well of the Kahr,doesn`t it? I love the fact that she didn`t know which brand of handgun she was firing.A truly honest opinion.

bossbird
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
The only bad thing about the test is now I have to buy me another p380.

lawndart
09-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I think the P380 has about half of the felt recoil that a Kel-Tec does. I often shoot them on the same day, and always end up shooting the Kahr more.

Jeremiah/Az
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
The trigger is better & smoother on the Kahr than the other 2 by far.

In-Yo-Grill
10-09-2009, 06:57 AM
between the three guns?

The Ruger and the Kel-Tec seem almost identical but the Kahr seems to have a little more meat on it.

bossbird
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
On my scales each one loaded with 6 rds of speer gold dot (90g) looks like this: Keltec 11.1 oz Ruger 11.6 oz Kahr 13.3 oz

LLDJR
10-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Great info, I cant wait to shoot one

jocko
10-11-2009, 07:30 AM
On my scales each one loaded with 6 rds of speer gold dot (90g) looks like this: Keltec 11.1 oz Ruger 11.6 oz Kahr 13.3 oz

can your wife rack the slide on the P380 or does she need to use the slide lock lever to load that first round? Just curious, as I think the P380 is the most difficult of any of the 3 guns you mentioned to hand rack.

Nice report. I would have had the kel teck in last place from past horrible experience.

Cappy
10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I like your report! I need to go out and try one of the P380's.

Cramalot
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Just the sort of information I was looking for, except for being hard to rack as posted by Jocko.

WMD
10-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Great report! I concur with your wife and have a P380. I like it a lot. I have shot the LCP and Keltec. I could not tell the difference between them. I thought both of them had a lot of recoil. After shooting 50 rounds through the Keltec and Ruger, my hand was sore. I did not have that issue with the Kahr. I am sure in a high stress situation the recoil from the Keltec or Ruger would not be an issue but why have it if you can get a pocket pistol without it! I was pretty amazed at the accuracy out of the little P380 as well. Once I got the sight picture, I was able to consistently break clay pidgeons sitting on a dirt bank at 25 yards.

WMD
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Just the sort of information I was looking for, except for being hard to rack as posted by Jocko.

I came upon a neat trick to rack the gun. I hope I can explain it easily.

Assuming you are right handed....

Hold the (UNLOADED) gun (with EMPTY magazine inserted) chest high (middle of your chest) with your right hand as if you are going to shoot it (finger OFF the trigger). Poiint the barrel down at an approximate 45 degree angle. The gun should be close to your chest.

With your left hand, lay your thumb across the serrations on the left rear of the slide and your four fingers pinching the right side of the slide.

Hold your left arm firm and do not move it. With your right hand still holding the grip of the pistol, quickly push hte pistol grip down and the slide will lock back very easily.

the trick is to push down with your "right" hand while holding the slide stationery with your left hand.

I hope this makes sense. I have taught my wife to rack semi-auto's using this method and after doing it a few times it is now second nature to her. I have never actually written the procedure down before and am not sure that I am as clear as I want to be.

Try it and let me know how it works! :)

bossbird
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
She was able to rack the slide. Her hand would "slip" a few times but she was able to rack the slide on all 3 pistols. I did not help her load the pistols at all. I felt like if she was going to carry one of these pistols as a purse gun she needed to be able to load and unload them. She would rack the slide using the "overhand" method. Right hand holding the grip. Left hand on top of rear section of slide. Bottom part of thumb palm on left side and 3 fingers on right side. Hopefully you get the picture.

bossbird
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Well, I posted my rack the slide comment before I read WMD comments about that subject. WMD is right on the money. That explanation is the perfect way for a female and a male for that matter to rack the slide.

bayoutrigger
10-18-2009, 04:57 PM
My wife currently carries a Bersa Thunder 380ACP. This thread started with observation that felt recoil was lightest with Kahr.

Does anyone know how the Kahr compares to the Bersa Thunder 380 with regard to recoil? I would like my wife to switch to the Kahr 380.

bossbird
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
My wife currently carries a Bersa Thunder 380ACP. This thread started with observation that felt recoil was lightest with Kahr.

Does anyone know how the Kahr compares to the Bersa Thunder 380 with regard to recoil? I would like my wife to switch to the Kahr 380.

I own a Bersa Thunder 380 and my wife has shot it. She liked how it felt but still likes the Kahr P380. Believe it or not the perceived felt recoil is less with the Kahr P380, even though my fully loaded Bersa is 22.2 oz and the fully loaded Kahr is only 13.3 oz. I am pretty sure the difference is that the Bersa is a straight blow back and the Kahr is "tilting" barrel. Another big difference is the decocker/safety DA/SA on the Bersa and DAO for the Kahr. At first my wife thought she had to have a safety but once she got use to the built in "safety" ( semi-long semi-heavy, but very smooth) DAO Kahr trigger she has never looked back. However, pistols are like cars. Some folks like Fords and some like Chevys. So I introduce my wife to different type handguns but I let her decide which one she wants to "drive". Let her shoot a Kahr P380. I bet she will like it.