PDA

View Full Version : Today was the day!

mark7mod0
09-15-2017, 02:38 PM
On this date in 1968 I arrived at RTC Great Lakes for navy boot camp. It was unknowingly, only the beginning of a 20 year tour. A great deal of pain, a truck load of fun, and a bunch of great friends and got to know some of the best sailors in the navy that I am proud to call "Shipmates". From a training squadron in Meridian, Miss that I hated so much I terminated shore duty and volunteered to be a door gunner in Vietnam, 6 cruises on various aircraft carriers (USS Ticonderoga/ USS Ranger / USS Constellation / USS Carl Vinson, to retirement at the best base in Naval Aviation... NAS Whidbey Island, WA. Was it all worth it?.....no doubt! NONE at all.

gb6491
09-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Thank you for your service!:Amflag2:

So, seeing you are a Sailor, would that mark7mod0 be in reference to something from your naval career?

Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
09-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Know a few friends that were stationed at Whidbey. Spent considerable time on the island myself, not on the base but surrounding area.

Loved roaming around Fort Casey and still do from time to time although I don't roam quite as much due to limited transportation issues.

And again thanks for your service. Hit's a little closer now that I have a Marine son. Been home for a few weeks, one more to go and then he's off to Kuwait.

Mom isn't fond of the idea.

mark7mod0
09-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Thank you for your service!:Amflag2:

So, seeing you are a Sailor, would that mark7mod0 be in reference to something from your naval career?

Regards,
Greg

You are correct sir....it is in reference to the ejection seat cartridges of the MK-5 Martin Baker ejection seat in a F4-J Phantom aircraft. I was an AME in the navy responsible for ejection seat maintenance, cockpit and special equipment air conditioning, liquid oxygen and survival gear.

mark7mod0
09-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Know a few friends that were stationed at Whidbey. Spent considerable time on the island myself, not on the base but surrounding area.

Loved roaming around Fort Casey and still do from time to time although I don't roam quite as much due to limited transportation issues.

And again thanks for your service. Hit's a little closer now that I have a Marine son. Been home for a few weeks, one more to go and then he's off to Kuwait.

Mom isn't fond of the idea.

Ft Casey is a great place to just relax and enjoy the views. I lived up by Deception Pass on Cranberry Lake. Thank your son for his service. Has to be nerve racking to be a parent of a combat patrol military member. All the best to him.

Alfonse
09-15-2017, 09:15 PM
I met my wife at a sailboat race in Oak Harbor. Even though we are in a different part of the state now, when a big, loud offshore boat roars past we still call it the "sound of freedom" from the sign along the road at NAS Whidbey.

Thanks for your service and having another northwestern member.

AJBert
09-15-2017, 09:28 PM
I just missed you at Great Lakes by about...oh, say 12 years! Ended up doing almost 26 years myself. I can't remember the exact date my enlistment started though I know it was either the 11th or 12th of Aug, 1982. Can't say I miss anything about Great Mistakes though they did teach me how to boil water!

kenemoore
09-16-2017, 04:54 AM
Joined Uncle Sam's Canoe Club on April 1st, 1977. Kept telling them I was just fooling, never worked. Not a lifer, only 8.5 years for me. Was supposed to get out after 8, but was in a bad motor cycle wreck and had to stay an extra six months to heal up.

mark7mod0
09-16-2017, 09:39 AM
I met my wife at a sailboat race in Oak Harbor. Even though we are in a different part of the state now, when a big, loud offshore boat roars past we still call it the "sound of freedom" from the sign along the road at NAS Whidbey.

Thanks for your service and having another northwestern member.

Unfortunately the Political Correctness police had a hand in removing the sign outside the base........ "Excuse our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" sign is gone. Maybe someday it will return.

Alfonse
09-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Unfortunately the Political Correctness police had a hand in removing the sign outside the base........ "Excuse our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" sign is gone. Maybe someday it will return.

That's too bad. The A6s they used to fly out of there (maybe they still have some EA6s, I don't know) did make some noise taking off! That sign used to make me smile every time I saw it. You're in a beautiful spot.

mark7mod0
09-17-2017, 01:21 PM
That's too bad. The A6s they used to fly out of there (maybe they still have some EA6s, I don't know) did make some noise taking off! That sign used to make me smile every time I saw it. You're in a beautiful spot.

All the EA-6 aircraft are gone now. They were replaced with the Modified F-18 Hornets....the EA-18G Growlers.http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14973&stc=1

Alfonse
09-17-2017, 09:14 PM
That's a great photo. My brother flew F/A 18s and was on the Lincoln's first deployment. He was out of LeMoore though and I think the Lincoln was in Alameda then and later came to Everett.

mark7mod0
09-18-2017, 08:43 AM
That's a great photo. My brother flew F/A 18s and was on the Lincoln's first deployment. He was out of LeMoore though and I think the Lincoln was in Alameda then and later came to Everett.

I was never stationed at NAS Lemoore, just went to Special Weapons Loading Training there for a few weeks. Was a nice base. NAS Whidbey was my favorite base though. Most people talk about how great the area is, which is true, but the base ( actually 2 including the seaplane base) was well designed and had a great housing area.

CPTKILLER
09-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Good work brother. I was in infantry in Vietnam.

mark7mod0
09-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Good work brother. I was in infantry in Vietnam.

Rough life in the infantry. I was lucky...as a crewman, when I landed in the helo, hot shower and decent meal everyday. After Vietnam I went into fixed wing aircraft squadrons as an ejection seat mech...missed the helos, close net group. Officers and enlisted meshed more than in fighter or attack squadrons.