PDA

View Full Version : New PM40 & PM9 Range report

bayoutrigger
08-28-2010, 10:14 AM
My son and I just got our respective PM40 and PM9 in. No problems at the range except on taking the PM40 down for post range cleaning the screw cap/nut on the spring assembly is missing. Fortunately we are attending a 3 day defensive training school in a couple of weeks and I purchased some back up spring assemblies.

1) After reading prior threads it looks like a drop of red lucite would be a good idea to keep this from happing again or happing on the PM9?

2) Somebody (can't remember if Jocko or Winntrout) suggest 20# wolff spring for PM40. That makes sense if the PM9 also has a 18# spring. Has anybody found a reason not to pot 20# on PM40?

3) Man are these great guns! We went from CW's to these PM's with black matte finish and night sights. My wife shoots a p380 and we love them all.
Thanks.

bayoutrigger
08-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Follow-up question: Do you take the outer spring off to put the flange/nut back on the inner-spring rod? The outer spring seems to be attached. Is this attached with glue that has to be heated to break the seal? Thanks.

Bawanna
08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think it's glued. They are just tight fitting on there. Theres no need to take it off unless it makes it easier to clean up the threads and stuff for a good locktite treatment.
I believe twisting the spring or rotating it around will make it come off easier. I'd not mess with the inner spring at all, just leave it as is.

wyntrout
08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
It comes off and be sure to put it back on with the closed end to the rear, open end to the front of the gun.
Wynn:)

bayoutrigger
08-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the help. Are the PM9 & PM40 recoil spring assemblies the same? They look exactly alike. Are they interchangeable?

Bawanna
08-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the help. Are the PM9 & PM40 recoil spring assemblies the same? They look exactly alike. Are they interchangeable?

Looking at Kahrs parts sheet they show the same part number. In the same grouping. Would think the 40 would have a little heavier spring but don't look to be the case.

wyntrout
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Wolff Springs shows the same spring for both:
Springs for KAHR ARMS Semi-Auto Pistols (http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#185)
Wynn:)