PDA

View Full Version : Is a "precautionary" re-lucite advisable?

bayoutrigger
08-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Ok, I have a "back-up" PM recoil assembly and the flange/nut seems to be on "tight". However, I do not want to be faced with the heat caused by shooting it resulting in the loss of another flange/nut.

I realize that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but ......as a precaution is it advisable to heat up this unused recoil assembly to turn whatever lucite to powder, remove flange/nut, clean threads and re-lucite to be 110% sure that flange/nut will not come off?

I guess I'm worried because my new out of the box gun had the flange/nut come off with first use.

jlottmc
08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't, it really shouldn't be a problem. Then again...

Bawanna
08-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Ok, I have a "back-up" PM recoil assembly and the flange/nut seems to be on "tight". However, I do not want to be faced with the heat caused by shooting it resulting in the loss of another flange/nut.

I realize that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but ......as a precaution is it advisable to heat up this unused recoil assembly to turn whatever lucite to powder, remove flange/nut, clean threads and re-lucite to be 110% sure that flange/nut will not come off?

I guess I'm worried because my new out of the box gun had the flange/nut come off with first use.

If you think that would get you a better stronger bond on the new loctite I'd do it. Mine has not come loose as yet and I find myself checking it periodically to make sure I know if/when it goes south on me.
I should also order a spare "just in case". Seems like they come off early or they are good to go and don't. Another one of lifes mysteries.

Seahawk60
08-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Thousands of rounds through my PM9 with three different recoil/guide rod spring sets. The "original" set and two "improved/re-designed" sets. I put a few hundred rounds each through the two new ones to ensure reliability. One is currently in the PM9. The original and the other new "improved" one are in my spare parts kit. Never had a problem with the original set. I just wanted some new spares. Zero problems with any guide rod coming apart.

wyntrout
10-16-2010, 01:44 AM
The flange nut on my PM45 departed at the last trip to the range. I didn't notice that until I got home. I think it shoots okay and doesn't become a problem until you take the gun apart.
Kahr sent me a new recoil spring/guide assembly. And I got to tinkering today trying to make another nut for the guide rod. I'll start a new thread and post a link here soon.

http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/3934-make-your-own-flange-nut-guide-rod.html#post37717

Wynn:)

earle8888
10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Wolff Spring recomended using RED loctite!

wyntrout
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't have any of that and can only find the Permatex line locally. I have the green Permatex which is much stronger than the green Loctite, but less than the Red, for sure. I put a little on my homemade nut and put some on the new guide rod's nut as well. This is the penetrating stuff that you use on assembled parts. It's thin and runs like crazy, so it's easy to use too much, but it cleans up okay.
The red stuff is meant to be forever... considered a permanent bond... not something you want in every case. The guide rod nut IS such a case, though.
Scope mounts and rails, etc., should be removable, which is why I bought this stuff... the green, penetrating variety.
Remember that none of these products should be used on polymer parts. The bond can be stronger than the plastic and I don't think the plastic can hold up to the heat required... over 500°F... or the chemicals that are used for removal.

earle8888
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Anybody changing "striker" spring??? Got one with my Wolffe spring package. Discussion with Wolffe tech.-- He said he wouldn't change it unless it became problem, which is doubtful. Also stated the the lower pressure "strike" spring is not recomended for CCW, target only, reports of some weak primer hits--thus malfunction.

jeep45238
10-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't heat it up and remove the existing compound.

Loctite makes two green compounds. One is strong enough to be used to hold cylinder sleeves in engines.

The other can be used on assembled units. I can't recall the break-free torque, but I would do that before taking apart a known good assembly.

jocko
10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
that locktite "green" is some serious stuff. they make some "green" that actually penetrates threads when already tightened. YOu won't have much luck getting that apart..

wyntrout
10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I posted the comparison info off the back of my Green Permatex Threadlocker on several threads. Here it is again:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/Permatex%20Info/PermatexInfoLarger_0480.jpg

This Green Penetrating version is pretty strong... more so than the Loctite Green. Check out the torque requirements and heat, etc., to defeat the bond.