PDA

View Full Version : CT380 feeding issues...(fed only one brand at first, but now feeds only another)

Evi1joe
07-10-2018, 06:18 PM
I got a CT380 for $227 at Academy Sports. I wanted the Tungsten, but not enough to pay $80 more.

I took it home, and noticed that USING THE REQUISITE SLIDE LOCK to feed method, it wouldn't feed my Fort Scott 95gr all copper ammo (it's a very pointed fmj), but it worked with my SIG 100gr (which has a tiny flat face).

I racked the slide about 200 times when I got it. Today I broke it down, polished the feedramp, and cleaned and lubed it up real well with Rand CLP.
NOW it won't feed the SIG, the Fort Scott, or even Hornady Critical Defense (everything feeds that stuff!). It closes ALMOST all the way, and even though the barrel is EVEN with the slide, the recoil guide rod sticks out 1/4" and the slide is still 1/4" from closing.

Out of desperation I dug up some old Fiocchi, which evidently has been problematic in many Kahr 380s, and NOW it will feed that BUT NOTHING ELSE. Any suggestions? At the moment, my plan is to shoot 42rds of the Fiocchi, then TRY the SIG, HORNADY, and FORT SCOTT ammo. I wouldn't be TOO sad if it required more fiocchi (but I'd rather shoot American Eagle, Hornady, and Fort Scott).

---

NOTE: I was pretty active in the early P9/PM9 days on Glocktalk's "Kahr Talk" forum. I remember a fella named "Michigun" who also was active (I'm assuming this was the early 2000s...back when "Dorothy" was the lady to talk to at Kahr).

DavidR
07-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Hopefully one of the experts will be along soon with some suggestions. It’s not a great start if you can’t even chamber a round.

You definitely got a good price. I’m fortunate that mine has been reliable.

https://i.imgur.com/oVXNs8c.jpg?1

kenemoore
07-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Sounds like you did not get the recoil assembly re-installed correctly. Sometimes the spring catches on the dust cover and sticks out like you mentioned. Try wiggling the recoil guide rod.

Evi1joe
07-10-2018, 07:31 PM
The recoil assembly is in correct. It works perfectly until I try to chamber a round OTHER than fiocchi. :)

Evi1joe
07-11-2018, 07:11 AM
A friend was here when it wouldn't feed anything but fiocchi. We went away for 5 hours, and when we got back, it fed everything.
Literally, nothing had changed except maybe some lube went from one side to the other. I don't like mysteries with my guns, but go figure.

I have 150rds to try out at the range today. ::fingers crossed::

CPTKILLER
07-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Also try Federal HST. I like it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/380-acp/br?cid=21653

Evi1joe
07-11-2018, 03:10 PM
HST is what I carry in 9mm and 45acp, but with 380, the new HST, like most, does 18-22" when it fails to open, and 10.5" when it does open (out of the 0.25" longer barreled G42--so maybe 9.5-10" out of a CT380).

I'm thinking of using a hot XTP load, but I want to see more gel tests with the Fort Scott (I also want to see if my 380 will feed Lehigh's 90gr ammo).

SEE: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

berettabone
07-11-2018, 04:56 PM
I carry Hornady CD, and HST's in 9mm and .40 cal. Take all ammo tests with a grain of salt. You will never get true results because the conditions always change. Shoot what works smoothly in your firearm, and forget the tests. You will most likely be shooting through clothing of different types, so throw the tests out the window. Some are noticeably more accurate than others. Plus, the HST's have been selling at a great price for a defensive load. Target Sports USA has HST's for a good price. I like the plastic plug in the Critical Defense for going through clothing.

Evi1joe
07-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Yeah, with 380s, I'll carry whatever feeds well (and I DO prefer 50rd boxes, but they're hard to find in 380). I get usually get 9mm HST around $25/box online.
RANGE REPORT:
(Grip was very tight.)
-- 50rds of SIG: multiple failures to return to battery. The slide wouldn't close the last 1/2". One tap would make it work. It was so often and random that I got to where I'd tap it even when it did go into battery. I had at least 3 mags of 7rds that had no failures to return to battery, including the 2nd to last mag of the day.
-- 50rds of Federal Brass 95gr red box: multiple failures to return to battery. Same issue. Tap solved it. I had maybe 1-2 mags that had no issue.
-- 20rds of Fort Scott ammo: multiple failures to return to battery. Tap solved it.
-- 25rds of Hornady Critical Defense: multiple failures to return to battery. Had two mags with no issues, including the last mag of the day.
-- 50rds of Fiocchi: Would shoot first round, but gun wouldn't extract the empty case. Tried 5 times and gave up.
CONCLUSION:
The gun is definitely not ready for prime time. I think the failure rate went from 40% (including using the slide lock to chamber a round) to 15%-20% towards the end. It's a good sign that after 146rds, the last 14 all fired without issue. However, it DOES seem like it won't be "broken" in and 100% by 200rds. At this rate, it SEEMS like it might be more like 300-400rds, but we shall see.

It seems to like SIG 100gr fmj as well as the Hornady CD. I'll get some super hot UNDERWOOD XTP to see how it likes that, as well as some American Eagle (which is my main practice ammo for 9mm/45), and more SIG.

Stay tuned...

markman
07-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Check your extractor tension.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?31400-Failure-to-Feed-Extract-Return-to-Battery-Fix

Evi1joe
07-12-2018, 11:50 PM
I do suspect the extractor is too tight. One guy fixed his by removing two coils from the extractor spring. Others have shortened the pin. Others have created a "ramped"/curved edge to the guiding edge of the extractor.

Since mine SEEMS to be improving, I'm going to put another 150rds through it and see if it doesn't "break-in". I bought 50rds of WWB, 50rds of Federal Brass, and 50rds of Winchester "Practice". I also grabbed 20-25rds of Winchester "Defend" and 50rds of UNDERWOOD XTP +P.

If all of that doesn't break it in to 100%, I'll cut off 2-3 coils of the extractor spring to loosen it up a bit (and buy a replacement JIC).

Evi1joe
08-26-2018, 05:32 PM
UPDATE:

Over 500rds now through the CT380. It seems to be shooting AE and UMC now...having some issues with WWB (flat-faced) ammo getting pinched between feedramp and rear-face of the chamber.

MODS: I took two coils off the extractor spring since it felt INSANELY tight. Then I took off some material so the extractor is sitting about .02" forward of where it was. It seemed to cure almost all of the fail-to-return to battery issues--now I get like 1 FTRB every 100rds, which is still too many, but (a) it could be ammo, and (b) I'm HOPING it disappears in the NEXT 500rds.

With WWB and a HP (I think it was XTP) it occasionally fails to feed and gets pinched between the feedramp and the rear of the chamber (it's still 85-90% in the magazine).
I SOLVE this by locking the slide back (like 2-3mm from where it is), tap the mag base, then hit the slide release. The round feeds every time that way. I ASSUME this is due to the shape of the round...but will wide HPs have this issue? I don't think it's weak ammo since it failed on an XTP round, BUT there's a small chance I may have had a WWB in the barrel before the XTP...perhaps occasionally the rounds are strong enough to eject the brass, but don't strong enough to make it back far enough to get the forward momentum needed to push a round up the steep-ass feed-ramp (which seriously needs to be like 10 degrees less steep--seriously, KAHR, shorten the barrel 0.2" and give us a real ramp). **I'm going to re-polish the feedramp tonight...can't hurt (as long as the flitz doesn't take any metal off).

--
My advice to anyone considering a CW380 or CT380: DO NOT BUY this gun unless you like the size and sights enough to aren't afraid to mod things a bit AND will dedicate $150-$200 in ammo to break it in. I KNOW I could have sent it to KAHR, but I've read too many stories of guns coming back with the same FTF or FRTB.

markman
08-27-2018, 06:21 AM
Have you measured the extractor tension, it’s possible it is still too much.

Evi1joe
08-27-2018, 07:16 PM
I don't have a way to measure extractor tension, but it feels very good to me--not too stiff--AND the fact that I'm getting so few FTRBs makes me think it's good (I DO notice that the extractor gets dirty within 150-200rds (there's even some fouling in the striker channel, and the extractor channel felt a little gritty). The extractor tension is definitely closer to glock and others now...nothing like how insane it was before (I may have taken off 3-4 coils--the kitchen scissors weren't super precise).

**I REALLY think the feedramp needs to be re-profiled like this guy ("Ghost Chili" on another forum) had done--I need to find out who his gunsmith is, since I'm just not that steady with a dremel. Also, it's too bad there isn't a PT380 WALTHER LOTHAR barrel available for this gun. :(

"Ghost Chili" explained, "Basically, the ramp was dished out a little to lessen the angle at which the bullet contacts. It is kind of hard to see due to the reflection, but the dish shape of the ramp blends into the top at the chamber where the ramp was left unaltered so as to not reduce support for the cartridgecase."