PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber frame?

Sova
03-04-2019, 02:21 AM
Void

kenemoore
03-04-2019, 03:23 AM
Here is my uneducated opinion.
I have watched high speed photography of a Glock 19 firing a round. The polymer frame flexes and absorbs some of the recoil. This allows shooter to carry a much lighter weapon, but still have manageable recoil. With my limited exposure to Carbon fiber, I feel that it is much more rigid, and less likely to flex and absorb recoil. I would guess that a carbon fiber framed heavy caliber weapon, would be very painful to shoot.

Sova
03-04-2019, 05:55 AM
Void

MrBlackCat
03-05-2019, 04:23 AM
I am sure Carbon Fiber CAN be made to work with the concept of a Desert Eagle, but... the current Desert Eagle design is based on standard machining and casting production methods. A carbon fiber frame to do the same thing would likely be completely different. While slightly over-designed, the Desert Eagle is still shooting the most powerful pistol cartridge in production, so the design would need to be really robust. In that design, you will be constrained to mating the slide, where its design was made for the cast frame and might not be appropriate for what you can do with Carbon Fiber.
If it was a 9mm, I would not have much concern, but there is a lot of energy being contained/controlled by that frame.

I was trying to imagine some kind of splice at first, where the handle area was replaced to accommodate a new magazine well... but then while looking at one here for a bit, there is a lot going on, with very low mass.

If you try it, I would enjoy seeing the project for sure. :)

MrBlackCat

Sova
10-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Void

Sova
01-15-2022, 01:19 PM
Void

Sova
01-15-2022, 01:29 PM
Void

Sova
03-18-2022, 07:40 PM
Project changed to a 100% scratch build. So i am voiding this topic. Feel free to delete it whoever is in charge.