PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Kahrs?

9mm
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
With CCW class coming next month, I began looking for a carry gun. After exhaustive research, I was extremely excited to settle on a K9098 Elite 03, only to find this gun can't be found. I've read forums/reviews where people were thrilled when notified their backorder was in, and they had waited almost a year.

Is this normal? Why is this happening -- everyone wants one or they only make 2 each year? :confused:

jocko
08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
good question but it seems that 90% of all K9's are with the NYPD trigger and the elite 03 is what is keeping it from being plentiful...

cobalt402
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I just picked up a "used", unfired K9 off of Gunbroker and put it through the paces today. It is a 4 year old, new gun and was a pure pleasure to shoot. It just became my new carry piece.

c4

jocko
09-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I just picked up a "used", unfired K9 off of Gunbroker and put it through the paces today. It is a 4 year old, new gun and was a pure pleasure to shoot. It just became my new carry piece.

c4

do feel the kahr K9 is their most "flawless" semi in their entire line. They have had alot of years to perfect the K9 and u just don't hear much from the K9 owners that are negative...

Tack
09-03-2010, 04:46 AM
I have a K9 as a BUG that I carry everyday.

In the past month, I've loaned it to two of my students for classes I was teaching.

It's been flawless. One student put 350 rounds of Russian steel cased ammo through it without an issue.

The next put 100 rounds of WWB without an issue. Plus the ammo that I put through it during that time.

It was very dirty, and dry after that. I finally broke down and cleaned it.

Most people who get ahold of a K9 tend to keep them for a reason.

Tack

mattusmc
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I was lucky enough to find a K9 used about a year ago for $425-ish. Not the elite version but still a sweet carry gun.

aray
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I do think Kahr has a supply & demand issue. I waited 4-6 months trying to get a new CW9 before I finally gave up and got a used one. Don't know for sure but it seems to me they set up their factory to make a certain number of a particular model, make a production run, then cycle around to make another model for a while. In the meantime, supplies get short on those models not currently in production.

But what do I know?

koishoes
11-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I had been looking for one for about a year but never really found one in my price range (I wanted one new but could find a new one for under $750 locally, and only two popped up). Just a week ago, for s**ts and giggles I called a gun store on the other side of the state, where I grew up, and sure enough the guy says "Yeah, we've actually got a used one here for $399." I called up Kahr with the serial number and they confirmed the gun was made only a year ago. :D
Drove 2 hours to pick it up the next day, thing looks like it's brand new!

wyntrout
11-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I think there are several reasons for the increased demand for Kahr pistols, the big one is that Obama ushered in a new/renewed appreciation for the 2nd Amendment and a big worry that part of the Progressive/Anti-gun agenda would be a renewed push to curtail that right. With a few holdouts, most states are adopting concealed carry laws and loosening their requirements for reciprocal agreements with other states.

Many people seeking carry weapons are realizing the Kahrs' compactness and simplicity in operation, and ergonomics that make it a popular carry. Kahr hasn't had time to expand production on all of the new models and meet the demand for already popular lines.

Let's hope it doesn't get as bad as gasoline requirements do that cause gas shortages as the refineries shift production to each and every community or state demanded designer recipe of gasoline.

It may get worse before the demand is met... then you have the "hoarders" who have more than their "fair share of Kahrs", depriving others of the opportunity to acquire one or more of their own.

Maybe we need federal legislation on price controls or price rollbacks and limitations on the number of Kahrs one can own, especially the "rich". I'm sure Ex-POTUS Jimmy Carter would love to help write such legislation, as he supported in the the gas crisis(that he created) in the 70's.

Oh, yeah. That's right... when he chose to fix gas prices to keep them "fair", demand increased, but the supply dwindled as there was no incentive to produce more gas for less return on the investment. Just like during emergencies when no price "gouging" is allowed, no one is going to make an effort to get the needed supplies into the area and not be able to raise prices to cover the increased costs for doing so.

For instance, here in Florida back in 2004 during all of the hurricane activity, we had a severe shortage of generators. There were entrepreneurs across the country that would have hired trucking firms to ship the generators down here, pay for local lodging and other expenses that were additional or higher due to the emergency. But then they would have to sell them at the "pre-emergency" prices resulting in a big a loss after actual expenses. Not everyone wondered why there were no generators available, but the politicians kept the people from being "gouged", and consequently, there were no generators to be had.:rolleyes:

Many people would have gladly paid extra to have the generator, or anything else that was in short supply due to the "no-gouging" laws.

Rambling and "ranting" again.:rolleyes:

Wynn:behindsofa:

O'Dell
11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I think there are several reasons for the increased demand for Kahr pistols, the big one is that Obama ushered in a new/renewed appreciation for the 2nd Amendment and a big worry that part of the Progressive/Anti-gun agenda would be a renewed push to curtail that right. With a few holdouts, most states are adopting concealed carry laws and loosening their requirements for reciprocal agreements with other states.

Many people seeking carry weapons are realizing the Kahrs' compactness and simplicity in operation, and ergonomics that make it a popular carry. Kahr hasn't had time to expand production on all of the new models and meet the demand for already popular lines.

Let's hope it doesn't get as bad as gasoline requirements do that cause gas shortages as the refineries shift production to each and every community or state demanded designer recipe of gasoline.

It may get worse before the demand is met... then you have the "hoarders" who have more than their "fair share of Kahrs", depriving others of the opportunity to acquire one or more of their own.

Maybe we need federal legislation on price controls or price rollbacks and limitations on the number of Kahrs one can own, especially the "rich". I'm sure Ex-POTUS Jimmy Carter would love to help write such legislation, as he supported in the the gas crisis(that he created) in the 70's.

Oh, yeah. That's right... when he chose to fix gas prices to keep them "fair", demand increased, but the supply dwindled as there was no incentive to produce more gas for less return on the investment. Just like during emergencies when no price "gouging" is allowed, no one is going to make an effort to get the needed supplies into the area and not be able to raise prices to cover the increased costs for doing so.

For instance, here in Florida back in 2004 during all of the hurricane activity, we had a severe shortage of generators. There were entrepreneurs across the country that would have hired trucking firms to ship the generators down here, pay for local lodging and other expenses that were additional or higher due to the emergency. But then they would have to sell them at the "pre-emergency" prices resulting in a big a loss after actual expenses. Not everyone wondered why there were no generators available, but the politicians kept the people from being "gouged", and consequently, there were no generators to be had.:rolleyes:

Many people would have gladly paid extra to have the generator, or anything else that was in short supply due to the "no-gouging" laws.

Rambling and "ranting" again.:rolleyes:

Wynn:behindsofa:

Excellent Point Wynn, and exactly correct. The government screws up everything they try. No one in Washington has ever heard of unintended consequences. When they try to put in these anti-gouging laws, they just dry up the supply. No wonder they hate free enterprise so much. They don't have a clue on how it works.

I remember the generator situation in FL. Donna Boortz, Neal's wife, bought 400 generators here in Atlanta through her 'Donna Boortz Foundation', and trucked them to Fl. She then gave them away to people who needed them, but were unable to find any for sale. Since she didn't charge anything, there wasn't much the feds could do.

wyntrout
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
They are really nice people and I like Neal and his program, but I do drop off sometimes when he let's some whiny liberal go on and on... emphasis on the whiny... that gets old fast... whiny conservatives, too. :D
Wynn:)

ripley16
11-06-2010, 11:28 AM
With CCW class coming next month, I began looking for a carry gun. After exhaustive research, I was extremely excited to settle on a K9098 Elite 03, only to find this gun can't be found. I've read forums/reviews where people were thrilled when notified their backorder was in, and they had waited almost a year.

Is this normal? Why is this happening -- everyone wants one or they only make 2 each year? :confused:

Why not shop one of the major on-line sites. There are several K9 Elites for sale on Gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=199405361

I've purchased 6 of my 7 Kahrs off the various internet sites with no problems at all.
I bought one of these a while back and am very pleased...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=199015785
... though not the Elite, it ranks as a best buy IMHO.

jocko
11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
probably can't find them becuase they are busy making those new BUTT UGLY MR40's. Hellwhy would anyone want to make a gun that people wants???????? like that elite 03