PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Night Sights re-lamped

wyntrout
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
In case anyone needs some Trijicon night sights rejuvenated, here's my experience.
I got my K9 new March 1998 and as of late, they aren't as bright as I would like, with the half-life of tritium gas being just over 12 years, they've lost at least half of their luminosity and acquisition in the dark is harder.
I had heard that they could be re-lamped by the factory and that it was cheaper than getting new sights and installation.
I checked out the company site and got the phone number to order the re-lamping.
Read these for relevant info -- FAQs:
Trijicon, Inc. : Brilliant Aiming Solutions (http://www.trijicon.com/Faq_index.cfm)
Contact Customer Service for ordering re-lamping:
Customer Service
Toll Free: 1.800.338.0563
Phone: 248.960.7700
Fax: 248.960.7725
I called on August 17th and Ordered the procedure. They ONLY repair or work on Trijicon sights. They do list another company and phone number for other sights. Only the slide is to be sent or just the frame, no cylinder, for revolvers. The slide can be sent by any method I guess.
I sent my slide by a more rapid delivery method than regular UPS Ground, and insured it. This cost about $4 extra, totaling almost $15.
A few days or so after they received the gun, someone called me and got information for payment by credit card... no PayPal. They checked the credit card... $1 pending until they actually charged me $54, which was pending for about 4 days. That's $18 per lamp... included return by UPS Ground.
The invoice is dated Sept. 3, and I just got the slide back this afternoon. I think they removed the sights for the process and they are stamped like new with the trademark, H₃, and the two-digit year "10".
These sights are as small as the ones on my P380, but a tiny bit brighter.
This process takes a while, but it's an inexpensive way to get your Trijicon sights re-lamped.
Pictures:
#4 and #5 are in the dark... not so good. In #5 I used automatic brightening for comparison.
Wynn:)

gb6491
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Excellent write up Wynn! Thanks for sharing this info; it's good to know.
Regards,
Greg

ripley16
09-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Good post, good info... thanks.

Where do they put the Bible reference on these tiny sights?

Bawanna
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Go to your room and stay there till I tell you to come out. Shouldn't be more than a couple days. Please, please, please, lets not go there again.

wyntrout
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I looked at the P380 and the K9 sights, which are Trijicon, with a magnifying glass and I can't see anything other than those markings on the new sights of the K9. The PM45 and the PM9 have TruDots.

Now, where is my "Franken-" PM45?? :confused:

ripley16
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe they don't do it on the pistol sights. I've not been able to find anything on the Trijicons I have here.

aray
09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I've been toying with the idea of adding these sights to my CW9 and this is a very helpful write-up, thanks. One of the things that I was curious about was exactly this: how does one go about refreshing the brightness of the sights given the known half-life of the material. So this was a great article.

I think they removed the sights for the process

But if you just sent in the slide, how do they guarantee that the sights are zero-ed in? For example I notice on my CW9 the rear sights are ever so slightly off-center. You have to look very closely to notice, but if you do you can tell. It was that way before I bought it (second-hand) and it shoots straight so I assume a previous owner or the factory tweaked it slightly. Wonder what happens in that case if only the slide gets sent in and they can't test fire the weapon?

Bawanna
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Most sight manufactures prefer to receive just the slide or the frame on revolvers. It's cheaper to ship and less liablility. I seriously doubt even if you sent the whole gun that they would test fire it anyhow.
They also may put a reference mark to insure the sight is reinstalled in exactly the same location when working with the same sight. New sights I'm sure are just centered and in fact may require a bit of tweaking by the end user. Trijicon I'm fairly certain doesn't want and may not even accept complete guns.
Kahr we know does and they say so they can test fire of course but I'm not sure this applies to new sights either. Be a good question for Kahr next time anyone contacts them.

jocko
09-09-2010, 04:33 PM
No sight company can zero in sights for me. I have to adjust my sights for my shooting errors, so I do think the companies center the sights + or - and that is what you get.

wyntrout
09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
From the name of the process, "re-lamping", I guess they remove the little vials of tritium gas and replace them with fresh ones. As for removing the sights, I don't know about getting new sights installed. The FAQ link I listed may answer some questions, or you could call customer service.
Wynn

MrToad
05-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm curious: did Trijicon themselves relamp your K9, wyntrout? On their site they mention Tooltech for non-listed manufacturers (Kahr wasn't listed that I saw), so I was curious. My K40's are getting quite dim...visible in the dark, but still fairly dim.

wyntrout
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Trijicon only re-lamps Trijicon sights. The others must use the original manufacturer or one listed there as Tooltech is. Trijicon is the only one I've had experience with. For Trijicon N/Sights it's a really good deal. I shipped them my K9 slide and they re-lamped and returned it for a total cost of $54... about $18 a lamp, shipping included.

I did ask them about my S&W and the representative suggested trying Tooltech. I haven't checked them out, though.

MrToad
05-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks for that, wyntrout. I just wanted to double-check, since Trijicon didn't seem to list Kahr. Well, I'll shoot them an email or call come Monday. I was going to replace with Meprolights, but for $54 or thereabouts that strikes me a pretty good deal.

Ljutic
05-24-2011, 08:39 AM
I have a some Mepros that were installed in 95 and they are very dim. I called Tooltech to check their relamping fee. They wanted $198 for the 3 dots.

All future nightsight purchases will be Trijicon, including the set I will be buying to replace the dead Mepros. Lesson learned.

MrToad
06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Contacted a very nice woman a Trijicon who advised me of the process, so I'm awaiting a callback for the RMA to get my K40 relamped.

Thanks again, wyntrout for you very helpful advice!

wyntrout
06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
It's too bad they'll only replace their own lamps, but it's a great bargain if you have Trijicons. It takes a few weeks, but it's cheap!

And the Tooltech deal is crazy! Isn't it cheaper to sen the slide to Kahr and get new ones... ~ $40 + shipping and the sites! Check with the FACTORY... ?? Maybe they re-lamp their own, too.

MrToad
06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Okay, the slide is off to Trijicon today. I should see it in about 6 weeks. That's a long time in dog years.

Bawanna
06-08-2011, 05:36 PM
6 Weeks! Thats a life time in dog years. Wow, long time. Hope you got something else to play with while it's gone.
Do I need to mail ya a loaner?

jeepster09
06-08-2011, 07:57 PM
6 weeks!!!!!! Why so long? I have used Tool Tech in the past and they are good, neighbors of Mag Na Port.

MrToad
06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I've got my CW45, so I won't be lonely. 6 weeks is the estimate...it may take less time.

MrToad
06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Trijicon received the slide Monday, but haven't called me yet.

Ohhhh...waitaminute. I've had to work from home the last couple of days and I think I put my work number on the RMA request.http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad2/breley/Misc/facepalm.gif

Nuts.:rolleyes: