PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Thompson, FBI case worthwhile?

ripley16
09-11-2010, 08:08 PM
My Dad's 90th birthday is approaching and my brothers and I thought he'd get a huge kick out of a Thompson. Dad is retired from the FBI, so we also might add the FBI case. Two questions;

Is the case worth having?

Which model Thompson would one recommend...I'm thinking T5.

Any advice appreciated.

Ghostsoldier
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Ripley,

My advice: Don't do the T5. I have buddies who own the aluminum receiver guns, and they really take a severe beating if you put a lot of rounds through them (plus, I've heard horror stories of cracked receivers, something that you definitely don't want to happen).

I have an M1A1 with the steel receiver, on which I installed a 10.5" short barrel (the M1SB in the Kahr catalog)....it's been a good shooting gun for the last 4 or 5 years, with no problems whatsoever.

If the SBR isn't the path for you, then the stock TM1 with the 16" barrel will be an excellent choice.

Rob

Bawanna
09-13-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree with Ghostsoldier who happens to be my go to guy for all questions regarding Thompsons. I think his SBR is the envy of everyone here for sure.
I have a 1927 A1. I thought I wanted the light weight also but it's still not very light weight and I heard apparently the same horror stories.
I chose the 27 A1 so that I could use sticks or drums. I knew I wanted wood, no tupperware on a tommy. I also replaced the vertical gangster foregrip with a horizontal GI type forearm. Got an extra buttstock and cut it off about an inch so it fits me alot better also.
Now I got lots of options. I'm looking to go the SBR route myself but it's went to back burner status for the time being.
You totally rock for thinking of getting your dad a tommy for his 90th birthday. Wish I could be there when he opens that package up. Hope you get alot of good pictures. He's gonna be thrilled beyond description.

Ghostsoldier
09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Bawanna....I appreciate it! :o

I'm still wanting a '27 model myself, but like you and the SBR option, it's going to have to wait until a later time (when the funds get re-collected! :D)

I agree with Bawanna, Ripley...that's one helluva loving gesture to your dad on his birthday...you should be commended, and I'm sure he'll be stoked when he gets it! :)
Rob

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Well Ripley, do you got a Thompson wrapped up for your dad's birthday? I think some pictures are definitely in order. What a great plan.

ripley16
09-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Well Ripley, do you got a Thompson wrapped up for your dad's birthday? I think some pictures are definitely in order. What a great plan.

Thanks for asking, but no, I didn't. One of my brothers thought he would enjoy another firearm that he'd often talked about purchasing. In a few days he'll be the owner of a nice Winchester model 1892 in .45LC. He is a real western buff. His house is filled with Bama prints, a nice Remington bronze and other western art.

Either gift would have pleased him I'm sure, but the Thompson will have to wait. Maybe for his 100th. ;)

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm a big western fan and really like the old winchesters myself. I have a Puma 92 replica in 45 colt. It's probably my favorite rifle. I often think that if something bad happened her at home I'd most likely grab that 92. Light handy, accurate and I feel like John Wayne when I pick it up. He'll love it I'm sure.
I really want to get a Schofield # 3 in 45 Colt to run with it. I have a Uberti Cattleman for now but gotta have a Schofield some day.
Give your dad a big Happy Birthday from everyone here at Kahrtalk. Now that he's middle aged he should start acting like an adult. In another 60 years or so when he's a senior there'll be a whole new rule book.

Ghostsoldier
09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm not a big western fan, but I do like James Bama's artwork....I have several of his Doc Savage series prints....;)
Rob

ripley16
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
My personal favorite Bama, Souix Chief

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/House%20and%20Home/portraitsioux.jpg

My wife's; The Sage Grinder

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/House%20and%20Home/sagegrinder.jpg

Both in my house, on loan from my Dad's collection.