PDA

View Full Version : CW40 dropping Mag Fixed

skychief12
09-13-2010, 07:04 AM
My CW40 started dropping the magazine so I talked to Jay at Kahn. I explained I'm left handled. His suggestion was to file down the mag release button, which I did. Now I need to refinish the button top. Anyone have a suggestion for an good way to accomplish that?

Bawanna
09-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Got a picture of that?

gb6491
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Cold blue can be used to touch it up, but is not the most durable.
Rust bluing or browning are within the realm of DIY, as is parkerizing.
Paints such as GunKote or Duracoat should give decent results for the DIYer.
Caswell has their Plug N' Plate Brush Plating Systems: again DIY friendly.

If it were mine, I'd do the parkerizing.

BTW, have you shot the pistol since doing the mod? Did it fix it? I ask becuase you wrote: "My CW40 started dropping the magazine...". That seems to indicate you have some rounds downrange that were trouble free in regards to mag drops. If that's true and you have not changed your grip, I suspect you will need the modified magazine latch that Kahr has available.

Regards,
Greg

skychief12
09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
It just started as I neared the 200 rounds marker (last weekend). Today I fired the first mag left handed and it drop after 3 rounds. I change my grip to right hand and had no problem with two more mags. I filed off the serrated ridges to a flat button and fire another 50 left handed with no more drops. Looking at the grips from the back, the release is now level with the height of the grip/frame.

Bawanna
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Ok, I wasn't sure if you were looking for refinish which GB covered very well or putting the serration or checkering back on the end of the button for texture.
A thread chaser file or just a slim taper file and a careful eyeball can replace those serrations pretty easy, then refinish with one of the methods GB talked about.
Are you still able to get plenty of depression on the button to make the mag come loose now or hurting for travel?

skychief12
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I should have been more specific. I was interested in the blue. I think I'll parkerize as recommended

There is still plenty of travel to allow the mag to drop. To me the release is too soft to start with. Dropping the height gets it away from being under the inside edge of my trigger finger.

bayoutrigger
09-13-2010, 08:27 PM
How does the modified magazine latch that Kahr has available work? Over the weekend my PM40 mags started to release after 1 or 2 rounds. Thought that I may need a new mag release spring.

gb6491
09-13-2010, 09:51 PM
How does the modified magazine latch that Kahr has available work? Over the weekend my PM40 mags started to release after 1 or 2 rounds. Thought that I may need a new mag release spring.
http://kahrtalk.com/15667-post2.html
Regards,
Greg