PDA

View Full Version : K9 and pins?

Canine Dave
06-01-2021, 04:23 AM
I tried pin shooting this weekend for the first time. Had a good time, fun game.

I used my SIG 229 in 40cal. That was considered "low power" so the pins are moved back on the table to the same spot 9mm shooters use.

So wondering, has anyone used their 9mm K9 in pin shoots? I have a decent load worked up with a 147 bullet I'll probably try.

Thanks,

Dave

Canine Dave
06-03-2021, 11:59 AM
Bump to the top.

Oh, never mind. It is to the top.

Bawanna
06-03-2021, 12:11 PM
I've watched a few pin matches, never did play in any. I actually got a couple pins, planned to try them out. That was 30 years or more ago, still have the pins, know right where they are, maybe it's time to shoot em.

Ken L
06-03-2021, 03:39 PM
I shot pins a couple of times with a Ruger Blackhawk 357. It was great fun, but I had no chance against the guys with 45s. Swatted the pins off the table pretty smartly though.

Canine Dave
06-03-2021, 04:38 PM
I've watched a few pin matches, never did play in any. I actually got a couple pins, planned to try them out. That was 30 years or more ago, still have the pins, know right where they are, maybe it's time to shoot em.

Bawanna, they make a swell lamp.

Canine Dave
06-03-2021, 04:41 PM
I shot pins a couple of times with a Ruger Blackhawk 357. It was great fun, but I had no chance against the guys with 45s. Swatted the pins off the table pretty smartly though.

I wondered, and even asked, about shooting pins with a single action revolver. They said I wouldn't be the first to do it, but should consider the time penalty. I supposed you could fan the hammer?

Ken L
06-04-2021, 10:01 AM
I wondered, and even asked, about shooting pins with a single action revolver. They said I wouldn't be the first to do it, but should consider the time penalty. I supposed you could fan the hammer?

I thumb cocked each shot. The roll of the revolver made it easy. I thought about fanning it, but figured that would affect aim a bit more. I knew I would never be competitive with an SA, but it was still fun. No room for error though. I had to stop my string after 6 bangs, whereas the 1911 guys at 8 or more depending if they had extended mags. But only hits count....and you can't miss fast enough to catch up.

Bawanna
06-04-2021, 10:10 AM
I remember in metallic sillohette where you had chickens, turkeys, rams, and can't remember the 4th. You had to knock down 5 at 25, 50, 75, and a 100. No easy task with any hand gun. But they had shoot offs where you could have multiple guns or whatever, some guys blasted away with 3 or 4 guns and one guy would shoot slow and accurate with one and win every time. Don't knock a single action revolver with a guy that can shoot it over a spray and pray with any auto.

rx7sig
06-04-2021, 01:16 PM
I tried pin shooting this weekend for the first time. Had a good time, fun game.

I used my SIG 229 in 40cal. That was considered "low power" so the pins are moved back on the table to the same spot 9mm shooters use.

So wondering, has anyone used their 9mm K9 in pin shoots? I have a decent load worked up with a 147 bullet I'll probably try.

Thanks,

Dave

I wasn't aware that this (shooting bowling pins) is a "thing"--until I read your post. I watched several YouTube videos last night. I still don't get it.

rx7sig

Ken L
06-04-2021, 02:42 PM
I shot back in the 90s. It is like any shooting sport. It had it's day, now there are a few places that still do it. Back in the day there were specialized 1911 "pin guns" that were compensated with bright sights and stuff like that. Almost like an IPSC race gun, but more nose-heavy if I remember right.

Canine Dave
06-05-2021, 03:20 PM
I wasn't aware that this (shooting bowling pins) is a "thing"--until I read your post. I watched several YouTube videos last night. I still don't get it.

rx7sig

I'm still brand new to the sport. But here, this explains it very well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_pin_shooting#:~:text=Massad%20Ayoob%20cred its%20the%20origin%20of%20bowling%20pin,popularity %20between%20the%20mid-1980s%20and%20the%20late%201990s.

One session and I'm hooked. Doesn't (necessarily) chew up a lot of ammo.
It's a hoot!

rx7sig
06-06-2021, 12:07 PM
I'm still brand new to the sport. But here, this explains it very well...

Thanks for the link, @Canine Dave. Very informative. It's interesting that the bowling pins get heavier over time (as they retain more and more Pb)! Also interesting is the fact the .357 Magnum (and .357 Sig, too?) is considered one of the main calibers for this (along with .45 ACP and 10mm Auto, for example).

rx7sig

Canine Dave
06-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Worse than additional weight, the bullets sometimes stick out and the pin won't roll (off the table). Most amazing are the pins hit with a full load of 00 buck. They fly backwards still uprght until they hit the backstop.

thinman
01-14-2022, 08:23 PM
Bill Wilson in his autobiography speaks a little to shooting pins. He won many major pin matches. Bill Wilson often favored a Colt Python shooting a .38 Special +P load. Said the secret to it was accurately hitting the fat part of the pins. Bill Wilson being the world class shooter that he was, one suspects he was able to do so pretty quickly. Said a good hit with his load was enough. Didn't need magnum power loads.