PDA

View Full Version : T9 or K9 Elite?

mity2
09-24-2010, 08:24 AM
So I have reguler K9.
Its the distributer model with Carbon steel slide with SS frame(well, way I understood it was that it was Kahr's crever tactics to get rid of crap load of old carbon steel slide that was sitting on their shelf. Slap them on the frame, call it special model. LOL)

Anyway, I love the gun. But I have been considering to upgrade to other Kahr, due to dificulty of finding nightsight for it(since it has older style rear sight cut), and fragility of blued carbon steel slide(They rust when I don't wipe it down in few days, because I carry this gun everyday tucked up against my sweaty budy!).

I narrowed my choice down to either Kahr K9 Elite(Model #K9098 - w/o night sight. But since its newer rear cut, finding one is no biggie), or Kahr T9(Model #KT9093-NOVAK With night sight).
http://www.kahr.com/imgs/img_PA_k9098n.jpg
K9 Elite
http://www.kahr.com/imgs/img_PA_kt9093.jpg
T9

I like the rerety of T9. I was told that they are hard to come by. And I also like the little bigger size fits my hand better. And wood grip looks great.
My K9 has butter smooth trigger, and K9 Elite have even better trigger I was told, which is hard to ignore(Frankly, i can't imagin how can this trigger be better then it already is!)

I can get K9 Elite for $715, and T9 for $740(They are both NIB).

What do you guys suggest?

jocko
09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
being you have a k9 now, buy the T9, you won't be unhappy, basically other than alittle shinner finishh the K9 elite has a 1/8 " more trigger travel and I doubt if most can tell that difference either. I have a K9 NYPD trigger and a PM9 with elite trigger and to be honest I cannot tell the difference. Both smooth as glass.
the K( and T9 are both waist band carry, so neither will be a Plus or minus in that area. Both great guns.

The T9 with wood grips, just the grips alone would cost u $40 to buy for your K9. Not sure I would want or need two K9's and never read a complaint on any t9 owner either, nor for that matter a K9 owner also..

mity2
09-24-2010, 08:56 AM
My thing with T9 is that I love the slightly bigger demention of T9, and at the same time, that bigger demention is what scares me.
K9 is fantastic little pistol, and conceals extreamly well.
I carry it in Dan Hume's IWB holster, and it simply dissapears under my shirts.
I do carry it in OWB now and then too.

I'm afraid that what made my K9 super sweet CCW would be hindered with slightly bigger demention of T9.
Just how much bigger is 9 compared to K9? Anyone have side by side pics?
Also I find that Holster choice for T9 is severly limited.
I like my Dan Hume's IWB for my K9. Who makes good IWB Leather holster for T9?

I wish I could keep the K9 and get T9 on side, since its fantastic little carry gun, other then weak blued finish on mine. But current finantial situation dictates that I get eithre or.

My reasoning of replacing my K9 is that I'm having a heck of time trying to find night sight for old style sight cut. And carrying this weapon in leather IWB everyday since I got the gun sure did the numbers on carbonsteel slide with blue finish. black slide is turning dark gray as leather simly polishing the blue away.
I talked to several refinishing place, and its gonna be around $150~$200 to refinish, and about 6 to 8 weeks turnaround time.
I was gonna use Customized Creationz CeraKote(http://www.customizedcreationz.com/services/cerakoterefinishing.html), but my wife made the point that if I have to pay above mentioned fee, and wait almost 2 months, then why don't I just spend that money and upgrade and not wait for 2 months.

Which makes perfect sense to me...

jocko
09-24-2010, 12:20 PM
kahr sells night sights for ur K9 old style cut, they show you how to check your slife even to verify it is the old style. U did not mention that I could find you had the carbon steel version of the K9, indeed that is an older model and no doubt the new K9's today are IMO much nice, all stainless goes a long way towards service and less maintenance to. I doubtif you willget much on trade for your old style K9, so still IMO, I would keep it, it is reliable, sights are available and kahr can mount them fo ryou and you can just send the slide to them for about $5.

Ur right about one thing, T9 holsters are far and few between compared to the every popular K9 series, which has been kahrs bread and butter gun since they opened their doors.

by the way: ur wife is dead right to...

OldLincoln
09-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Just a SWAG here, but it looks like he can get a new stainless slide for $150 and night sights for $90. Wouldn't it be cheaper overall to replace the slide?

mity2
09-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Just a SWAG here, but it looks like he can get a new stainless slide for $150 and night sights for $90. Wouldn't it be cheaper overall to replace the slide?

I thought about it. But prospect of buying another Kahr is too much of temptation.

I ended up ordering T-9 with nightsight, AND I'm keeping my K-9 as well(man, my wife is gonna kick my arse...:()
I simply love my K9 way too much to let it go:D

OldLincoln
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Hey, blame it on the company you keep - that's what I do! You're gonna love your new T-9. As always, the new gun disclaimer around here.... be sure to follow Jocko's Proper Prep for a New Kahr (http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/1521-proper-prep-new-kahr.html) in the Kahr-Tech section and the Lube Diagram (http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/308-kahr-lube-diagram.html).

jeep45238
09-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Run the T9.

mity2
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
So I want to thank you guys for recommending to keep the K-9 and get T-9.
I just picked it up, and held it it for the first time, and instantly fell in love with it!
And I still have my beloved K-9 as well.
I'll post pics later!

at_liberty
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
The IWB holster question is solved by Crossbreed. I use the supertuck for my T40 and the regular for my P40. Actually the regular will work for both.

Concealing one of the T9 or T40s is an issue because of the increased grip length (one more round). As with other "big" guns, the forward cant holsters point the grip upwards and make it far less of an issue poking out under ones shirt. Get the forward cant whenever an option.

user
10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Boy, that's a relief. I was all in a sweat, reading this thread - I couldn't figure out how you could possibly resolve that dilemma.

I generally tell people that if you can have only one handgun, the MK9 Elite 2003 NS is the one to have. But I don't have one. I've got 2 T9's, the K9 Elite 2003 NS, and a PM9 (sort of depends on what I'm wearing ... that's why it takes me so long to get dressed, I can't decide what goes with the gun I'm wearing.)

dannyeller
04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I would have the sight dovetails cut to a Glock standard size. Go to Aero-Tek and get their Glock nightsights that have a similar to Novak profile. I have both and the Aero-Tek is a better sight. You'll have to use the standard Trijicon Tritium front dovetail from Kahr for the front.

Go ahead and buy the wood stocks and send it to Robar for either an NP3 finish or a Roguard Black finish with NP3 on the internals. The trigger will actually be smoother due to the self lubrication of the Roguard and NP3 finishes. You WILL NOT have to worry about rust with the Roguard finish, period.

You'll have a great looking "super smooth operating" carry piece that no one else will have. Take the $200-$300 you save on buying another pistol and get more ammo. But although Rogar "takes their time" with it they really do great work.

Just my thoughts.

I did something similar to my T9 and MK40. See pics on the T9 string "T9 back from Robar w/pics".