PDA

View Full Version : K9 rust??

mattusmc
09-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and have a quick question. I have an older K9 in what I was told was blackened SS. S/N AE****. MY question is that it tends to get a light brown surface rust if not wiped down pretty close to daily. Since it is with me most always it is easy to keep an eye on but I had a P40 covert with a standared SS slide that never did this.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me??

Bawanna
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
My early K40 I believe is carbon steel framed, not the DLC finish on the newer ones. I'm not certain on the slide, I had an issue and Kahr replaced it with a stainless slide since they didn't have any black ones. I preferred the stainless anyhow. I'm pretty sure it was not blackened stainless either. I'll let the experts address this also as I've always wondered about it myself.

ripley16
09-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Almost assuredly your K9 has a carbon steel slide as did my K9, also having a AEXXX serial number. Nothing wrong with the gun at all, just needs a little extra care. May I suggest you try the product Eezox on your gun. It is a dry lube, but also exhibits excellent rust preventative qualities.

http://www.eezox.com/

mity2
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
My K9 - Carbon steel Slide with SS frame - do develops a rust rather fast.
If I don't maintain the finish with oiled rug, it'll show light serface rust in less then a week(since its my main carry gun).

Which is sucking, because gun is just about perfect CCW other then its very suceptable to rust.

But now that I got T-9, and once its prove itself as reliable weapon(And find some holster for it) I can finally send her to a much deserved vacation to refinishing place....

mattusmc
10-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I think you are right about my gun being carbon steel. I did not realize Kahr made guns other than SS so I guess it is my bad for not reseaching more before purchase. Either way I think I got a good deal, I paid about $425 for the gun used. It is sweet for CCW and is now my main carry gun. The rust issue is annoying though since it is my only pistol that does it. I may look into trading it for a true SS K9 or I may just keep it and put the oil rag to it everyday when I get home. Either way I will definitely continue to own a Kahr K9.

Bawanna
10-01-2010, 09:29 AM
It's a great gun, I thought the same thing when I discovered mine wasn't stainless but as you say I got a good deal. I just do the oily rag treatment and give it love. My slide going bad and requesting a stainless was actually a good thing.

TonySoprano
10-03-2010, 07:28 AM
My E9 is Carbon Steel and I found that I wipe it down with MotorKote and have not had any rusting issues. This stuff so far has worked out rather well as a lube also. I don't have the keep the E9 as wet as I use to. Just my .02..
www.motorkote.com is the web site fyi

joshh
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
+ 1 for eezox! it dries too so no oily mess or stains on clothes = happy wife.

Kevin C
11-15-2010, 04:35 PM
My K40 w/carbon finish also began to rust. I robar re-finish it with electroless nickel for about $200. Problem solved.

Bawanna
11-15-2010, 05:36 PM
We sent an officers rifle back to Birdsong for a Black T finish. 2 or 3 weeks I'll have some feedback on that finish as well. Always wanted something with a birdsong finish, if it's nice I may have a box full of stuff to send. Bank account, financial coordinator pending of course...............