PDA

View Full Version : CW45 & Light Loads ?

500KV
10-11-2009, 05:58 AM
I've come to the conclusion that my CW45 doesn't like light loads.
Unlike my Glocks, Sigs and 1911s, It'll stovepipe, fail to feed, sometimes even fail to strip a new round off the magazine.
The cause of this is obviously the fact that the slide is not moving all the way to the rear.
On the other hand, it will function 100% with hot loads.

The recoil spring is strong, and I realize that's good for several reasons.
I've finally convinced myself to use only hot loads in my CW45.
My PM9 will shoot anything I feed it all day long, it seems.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with their Kahr .45s?
Also wondered whether anyone has used a lighter recoil spring, and what the advantages/disadvantages might be?

jocko
10-11-2009, 07:27 AM
I've come to the conclusion that my CW45 doesn't like light loads.
Unlike my Glocks, Sigs and 1911s, It'll stovepipe, fail to feed, sometimes even fail to strip a new round off the magazine.
The cause of this is obviously the fact that the slide is not moving all the way to the rear.
On the other hand, it will function 100% with hot loads.

The recoil spring is strong, and I realize that's good for several reasons.
I've finally convinced myself to use only hot loads in my CW45.
My PM9 will shoot anything I feed it all day long, it seems.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with their Kahr .45s?
Also wondered whether anyone has used a lighter recoil spring, and what the advantages/disadvantages might be?

what are u considering light loads. I would think any new mfg-ered round would not be considered light, These companies know what it takes for a round to make a gun function properly. what braneds ar eu having issues with?? Are u having issues with any hp rounds???? Those are normally not loaded on the light side at all, as they are defense rounds, not paper punching rounds. Are u reloading???

IMO you have something wrong with your kahr that needs some kind of attention, possably more rounds down range. Stick with the factory springs, not sure there are any lighter ones even offered. Make sure the spring is on correctly.

500KV
10-11-2009, 08:17 AM
No, the lighter loads are strictly my recipes.
Like I say, they function 100% in my other .45s but not in my CW.
Defensive loads work fine.
I just wondered about a lighter spring in the Kahr for lighter loads.
No problem with the gun.

jocko
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
not sure they make a lighter spring, u might check gunsprings (wolffs) as they make the recoil springs for kahrs. Our buy a few spares from wolffs or kahr and clip a coil off of one to see. You might just have to light a load for ur cw 45, kinda hard to compare one model of gun to another.

I would be concerned had they been factory loads causing that but being they are ur recipes, then IMO u need a new recipe for ur cw45..

ltxi
10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Trying a lighter recoil spring is the obvious answer. That Wolff doesn't offer one makes me suspect it may be an issue with Kahrs and the striker spring/recoil spring balance is delicate. Or it may just be that there's no demand. I don't think Kahrs normally attract handloaders into light target loads. I would think if you went to a lighter striker spring, which is available, the gun could certainly tolerate a lighter recoil spring....if you can find or "make" one. Just make sure the gun's going fully back into battery. Of course, that could make it problematic for hotter ammo.

Personally, I'd probably try it just because I like to play with stuff. But normally I tend to view Kahrs as single purpose SD appliances and save the handgun experimental/fun time for 1911s, S&W revolvers, and various S/A wheelguns.

500KV
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I can get a lighter spring from one of the two gunsmiths I know.
jocko, I had thought about clipping a coil off of a stock spring, only for light loads of course.

Not sure about the striker/recoil spring balance ltxi.
I initially had some light primer strike issues with the gun and Kahr sent me a new striker and spring and the new spring is stronger, by about 4 coils.
It cured the problem and didn't seem to affect the trigger pull.

I might get around to playing with it later.
Wonder what a *homemade* method of measuring spring strength would be?
I think they run between 18 and 24 #.