PDA

View Full Version : TP9 VS P9 for CCW

bigj480
10-12-2009, 12:31 AM
This topic may very well have been covered here before, but the terms are too short to make a search possible. I currently carry a stainless snub-nose for CCW, but I've been wanting to step it up to a semi-auto for awhile, plus it's a little heavy. So I've settled on a single stack 9mm and, after a little research, it will be a polymer Kahr. I'm not interested in a PM9 at the moment, I'm looking for something with a full grip and a longer barrel.

So this leaves me with two options, besides the less desirable(IMHO) CW, the TP9 or P9. There is nothing I like more about the P9 except the apparent shorter grip length. I've fount that slide length makes little difference in concealability, so I would prefer the higher bullet velocity and longer sight radius of the the TP9.

This leaves the grip length as the only disadvantage, if favor of the P9. Having said that, there seems to be two lengths for the TP9 grips. There is the standard 7 round/P9 length and an 8 round length. My question is, are both currently made? Is there a way to know which I am ordering online? I have read stories of people getting the wrong grip length when ordering shorter one.

Also, what is the limit to modifications allowed before Kahr will no longer do warranty work? I see that they offer a polishing service, but what if one wanted serrations on the top of the slide to reduce glare or chooses someone else to polish the slide?

Thanks,
John

bigj480
10-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Just read in the TP forum that all new TP9s gave the longer grip.:mad: That really sucks. I wonder what the chances are of finding an older "TP9 Covert", or if they ever existed. I wonder if Kahr would warranty a TP9 with a shortened grip. That is really disappointing....

ripley16
10-12-2009, 07:56 AM
It is a little frustrating that the Kahr web site shows the shorter "P" sized grip, but that is apparently not what is produced. I bought a TP expecting the shorter grip, mainly to make concealment easier. Having said that, I really have no problem concealing the longer grip, (I have a CW9 too as a comparison).

I wonder why the "Covert" lines aren't produced. There certainly would be a market for them.

Personally, I'd hesitate to cut the grip for fear of losing warranty coverage. Maybe after the warranty lapses, then perhaps I'll cut the grip.

In-Yo-Grill
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I've seen several used Covert's and they have gotten my interest. Although I have to say that I haven't seen a Covert in 9mm but Kahr's are still very new to me.

MattTheKnife
10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I had my CW9 chopped to the PM grip size. I don't see why that couldn't be done with a new TP9.

You could also buy a ported 4" barrel for the P9.

I've always wondered if a stock 4" barrel for a TP9, without the porting, would fit into a P9 . . . or a CW9 for that matter.

bigj480
10-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Kahr needs to change the info on the site, if they want happy customers. I emailed Kahr and was told that:

TP9's have always had the same length slide and barrel, they did have two different length grips though. One like the current TP9, and a while back we made some with a P9 grip length. We do have TP9 slides to do repairs, but you cant mount one of them on a P9, the frames are different. Some of the forums out there have threads saying that there were two different slide lengths, thats incorrect. There were two different grip lengths.

I never stated that there were different slide lengths, but there were different dust cover lengths. Regardless, I'll be on the lookout for a TP9 with a P9 grip length. Any opinions about how minor mods like slide polishing or adding slide serrations might effect the warranty? I guess I could always email Kahr, the responded quickly to my last question.

ripley16
10-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Kahr needs to change the info on the site, if they want happy customers.

I never stated that there were different slide lengths, but there were different dust cover lengths.

I agree on both counts. The Kahr site is what led me to go ahead and order the TP9, expecting the 4.5" grip.

I've yet to see a reference as to different slide lengths, dust cover - yes, slide - no. Then again, there are a lot of forums out there...

bigj480
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Did they also make a TP45 with a P45 grip length and a P45 with a PM45 grip length? I may just have to collect all four.:D