PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

luka
10-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Anyone had a Problem cleaning there PM9, I notice on the cleaning of Kahrs on the Kahr Site, they state to watch out that you do not move the Slide Stop Spring, that the slide stop should go under the spring, I pushed it in, but, no way can you tell if it is under it.

Anyone had a problem with it?::32::

Kahrdog
10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I know what you mean Luka. That threw me for a loop too. All you can do is position the spring as far up as possible, and then try to hook the slide stop under it as you push it in. I've had mine apart a few times, and I gained a little confidence each time. If you make an effort to get under the spring you'll be ok. It doesn't help when they tell you if you screw up, it's a sure thing your pistol will be going back to Kahr for repairs. As always do a function check on the pistol before you load and fire it.

Tom

P-Denny
10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
The way everything fits together, I believe it's almost impossible to push the slide stop in above the spring, & pay little attention to it.

Something that seems kind of goofy to me is how you're instructed to line up the marks on the slide & frame, then tap the slide stop loose with a screwdriver. With the gun pointing to the left and my right hand facing away from me, I set the rear of the gun in the meat between my thumb & index finger, and grab the slide with my index finger & middle finger. Then I pull the slide back with the index finger & middle finger until I see the slide stop in the slide's notch. Then I reach around with my left hand & push it loose. It's very easy.

Denny

Dietrich
10-16-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah,the warning about the spring increased my pucker factor too. I was on eggshells the first few times I cleaned the thing but now I tend to agree that you would have to really not be watching what you were doing to mess it up. The instructions in the manual could have been written a bit better.Other than that,PM9s rock!

500KV
10-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Found this tidbit.
This guy paid the price but got it fixed.

Well last night I proved that the PM9 is not idiot proof. I was reassembling the gun after cleaning it while listening to my brother gab on the phone and watching some T.V. so I wasn't paying as much attention to the process as I normally do. Somehow I managed to insert the slide catch into the gun in front of the barrel instead of through the machined slot. Once the pin was inserted there was no way that I could get it back apart as the slide was locked into a rearward position. :banghead: :cuss: I spent a couple of hours looking at the situation prodding, probing & racking to no avail. I eventually boxed the gun up getting it ready to ship out to Kahr today to see what they could do and went to bed. After tossing and turning for about 45 minutes thinking about the problem I decided the only way to fix it was to somehow cut the slide catch in half which would allow me to push the pin out. I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep thinking about this so I got out of bed at Midnight, went down stairs, fired up the Dremel and proceeded to cut through the lever with a cutoff wheel. I was very carefull to mask up the gun with tape and stopped cutting leaving just a thin layer of metal. This allowed me to tap out the pin, easily breaking the lever in half allowing the slide to move forward so I could remove the rest of the lever. :D This morning I ordered a new slide catch from Kahr.

Has anyone else done this or am I the only knucklehead unlucky enough to manage this feat. It seems to me that this is a design flaw and at the very least should be noted in the manual in BIG red letters. I looked last night and the only thing they say is to move the slide slowly and insert the pin as soon as the barrel relief lines up with the hole. Nothing is mentioned that if you move it too far you will be totally screwed!

luka
10-16-2009, 07:30 AM
I guess it just takes time to get use to your Gun, I know for sure I like the Gun and I am going to order these parts: Recoil Spring assembly, Recoil spring, slide stop spring, and a screw and washer, Not that exspensive but, I will have if needed, (Like a First Aid Kit for my PM9).

I am Glad I am NOT the only one with Cleaning Problems:D

border bandit32
10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I fretted over the same thing, but I have cleanded and field stripped the gun about 4 times now with no problems... and yes the manual does scare ya little about messing this up!:eek: