PDA

View Full Version : Other 380s coming from Kahr?

Stabu
10-17-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know if Kahr is thinking about expanding their 380 product line? I love how the p380 looks, feels and especially how thin it is, but I would like to have two more rounds on it with a little longer barrel. A height around 4.3" and a length around 5.3" might be the ideal in my opinion.

500KV
10-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Can't answer your question but:
Have you considered the PM9 ?
O/A Length-5.3" Height-4"
And look what you get..9mm, more firepower, cheaper to shoot, excellent concealability, etc.

Can't tell I'm a PM9 fan, right ? :)

Stabu
10-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Can't answer your question but:
Have you considered the PM9 ? [...]
And look what you get..9mm, more firepower, cheaper to shoot, excellent concealability, etc.

Yes I have. I'm still actually debating whether to get a 9mm or a 380 as a primary concealed carry weapon (currently none of my weapons is really concealable). As far as I understand the stopping power difference isn't that great even if a 9mm clearly wins, however it's still thicker and would produce a larger imprint and would also be more uncomfortable for ankle carrying. I've been actually thinking about a P9 or a K9 since they would include an additional round and be a little bit heavier with a longer barrel that would make hitting a target and managing recoil a little bit easier.

I'm an academic kind of person who only thinks that shooting is fun occasionally and therefore I'm not a very accurate shooter so I would likely need a longer barrel with more bullets to hit a target if that occasion would ever arise :(.

ltxi
10-17-2009, 05:40 PM
The only reason for Kahr's producing a pistol in a minor caliber in the first place was to reduce weight and size. If you make it any larger, you have a PM9 with a slide width difference of 0.15 inch.

As to the .380 vs 9mm thingy....I'm in the currently defensive minority that continues to accept the .380 and standard pressure .38spl out of a snubby as adequate defense rounds, but even I wouldn't think to place the effectiveness of the .380 ACP in same ballpark as the 9mm Luger cartridge.

Dietrich
10-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree with Itxi about the .380 and standard pressure .38. With the improvements in self defense ammunition,both of those calibers will take the taste out of someone`s mouth.But do check out the PM9 if possible. It is a fine handgun that packs quite a punch and is extremely easy to conceal.Not to mention cheaper and easier to find ammo.

bossbird
10-17-2009, 09:42 PM
The only reason for Kahr's producing a pistol in a minor caliber in the first place was to reduce weight and size. If you make it any larger, you have a PM9 with a slide width difference of 0.15 inch.

As to the .380 vs 9mm thingy....I'm in the currently defensive minority that continues to accept the .380 and standard pressure .38spl out of a snubby as adequate defense rounds, but even I wouldn't think to place the effectiveness of the .380 ACP in same ballpark as the 9mm Luger cartridge.

Put me in that minority also. I always carry either a small 380 (P380) or J-Frame revolver loaded with standard pressure Federal 110 gr low recoil. Now when I lay my head down on the pillow at night it's a HK P2000sk 357 Sig. And you are right. The 9mm is Major League compared to it's little brother 380 in the Double A Minors.

jocko
10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know if Kahr is thinking about expanding their 380 product line? I love how the p380 looks, feels and especially how thin it is, but I would like to have two more rounds on it with a little longer barrel. A height around 4.3" and a length around 5.3" might be the ideal in my opinion.

gonna happen with a longer barrel etc, They are working on coming out with and extended round magazine. What sizer ur mentioning is about the PM9, buy it and forget about the P380. the PM9 will ride almost anywhere the P380 will. I have um both and I hardly ever carry the P380. carry my PM9 24/7, more fire power. easier for me to shoot also. Ammo cost alot less. I only bought the P380 because it is a sub miniature in every detail to the pM9. Both great guns, but actually only one is needed and IMO that isthe PM9.

Stabu
10-19-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't want to sound picky, but I'm pretty sure that Kahr has/will produce(d) any self defensive caliber that has a reasonable market. Personally I think that the 0.15 inches make a considerable difference when it comes to concealment - the length/height of the gun being merely secondary issues. Also, if I've understood correctly, a 380 has also a lower recoil and is slightly quieter and thus a good choice for people with disabilities or a sensitive hearing.

But do check out the PM9 if possible.

I actually went and checked out my friend's MK9 :). It feels good, but weighs a little on the heavy side. The PM9 wouldn't have that problem. However the MK9/PM9 has some of the same problems that the P380 has, namely it has only 6 rounds (I'd prefer a 7th) and lacks a place for the 3rd finger (that, again, would help considerably with managing recoil). Luckily Kahr has created the P9, which would be more of my likening (a cheaper alternative would be Kel-Tec's PF9). However, every time when I think about a 9mm Kahr it also raises the question whether a 40 would be better as they come in virtually the same length/width and the 40 is only 0.04 inches wider. If we forget the bullet cost (which doesn't matter with the relatively small amount of shooting I do) what do you guys think about the 9mm(s) vs. the 40(s)? The only three relevant things to consider seem to be stopping power, sound and the number of rounds.

wagon
10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Also, if I've understood correctly, a 380 has also a lower recoil and is slightly quieter and thus a good choice for people with disabilities or a sensitive hearing.

If you compare like-to-like between 380 and 9mm, sure, 380 will be of lower recoil and less bang.

However the MK9/PM9 has some of the same problems that the P380 has, namely it has only 6 rounds (I'd prefer a 7th) and lacks a place for the 3rd finger (that, again, would help considerably with managing recoil). Luckily Kahr has created the P9, which would be more of my likening (a cheaper alternative would be Kel-Tec's PF9). However, every time when I think about a 9mm Kahr it also raises the question whether a 40 would be better as they come in virtually the same length/width and the 40 is only 0.04 inches wider. If we forget the bullet cost (which doesn't matter with the relatively small amount of shooting I do) what do you guys think about the 9mm(s) vs. the 40(s)? The only three relevant things to consider seem to be stopping power, sound and the number of rounds.

PM/MK: 6+1 = 7 :D
And I thought you started liking the P380 due to smaller, slimmer for better concealment, i.e. ankle carry? Anyway.. how about Bersa 380cc? Cheap, accurate, soft recoil, 8+1, a little larger than PM9 as you wish and your pinky will have a place + lifetime warranty. It has everything you need.

ltxi
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
lol...sorta...from .380 to .40 in two days is a record(?):D

I'll give you my quick take on all of this, fwiw....

P380...nice pistol and if I needed/wanted something new like this I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I have long time companions...442 and mustang pocket light... that work well in this range. What pried me loose from these favorite deep CCW guns was....

PM9...perfect today balance. Controllable 9mm in a 442 size and weight package. This is my 85% EDC.

MK9...I have one and I like it. I use it for belt carry sometimes. Extra weight makes it a no brainer pleasure to shoot. Wouldn't buy it again though, because...

K9....If you're gonna go past the PM9 in size and weight, might as well go to the fuller frame and weight K9. Wife has one of these. I like it. But it's a full size gun and that leads to the.....

.40...If you buy into the K9, why not just go for the K40 unless you're very recoil sensitive. I like the .40 a lot. I'm kinda looking for a K4044N. Good weight and slim. I would not buy a Kahr polymer version in this caliber. I have a G23 and a G27 that serve well for their purpose....and also to remind me that the .40 with it's sharp pressure curve is not a good choice for ultra lightweight handguns.

Good luck in your quest.

bossbird
10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
I think you should give the PM9 one more look. It has a 7 round finger extension magazine which could give you 8 rounds total ( 7 in magazine 1 in chamber ) and allows you to use your pinky finger to grip. Also, the recoil on a 40 cal is going to be much greater than the 9mm. As for as sound. All will be loud when firing with no ear protection. The PM9 is about 19.2 oz fully loaded on my scales. The trigger is smooth and my PM9 has been flawless. Give it one more look. I think you will like it.

Stabu
10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
PM/MK: 6+1 = 7 :D

Yeah, I get the math. The main reason I'm not talking about that one round is because I plan to carry 1-2 magazines + one mag in the gun, and I don't like to carry a loaded gun just to be on the safe side (yes, I'm somewhat paranoid).

And I thought you started liking the P380 due to smaller, slimmer for better concealment, i.e. ankle carry?

Yes, that is one reason why I like it, but I also want to have a third finger on it to easier manage the recoil. I'm rather picky really :( - shouldn't be.

Anyway.. how about Bersa 380cc? Cheap, accurate, soft recoil, 8+1, a little larger than PM9 as you wish and your pinky will have a place + lifetime warranty. It has everything you need.

I like the Bersa, but it's again too wide. The reason why I got into Kahrs in the first place (via the Kel-Tecs) was that they are so slim.

lol...sorta...from .380 to .40 in two days is a record(?):D

Well, could be I guess :tongue:. So far I've only shot/owned 22s and 9mms when it comes to handguns (I'm far more experience with assault rifles). In general my thoughts have been to get a very slim 380 that I can accurately shoot and if I can't find one that I'm 100% comfortable with (that's kind of the case now) I might as well consider the 40 since the difference between 9mm and a 40 is so small, but the 40 has clearly a better stopping power. So all in all, my train of thought has been more or less the same one you described.

All will be loud when firing with no ear protection.

I guess that's a good point. My thinking has so far been that since the 380 is pretty much the biggest caliber you can fire outside in the open without hearing protection it would be a good reason to carry it. Of course if you have to fire it inside in a store, office, restaurant or car it probably makes quite a little difference what you fire since you're hearing is screwed anyway...

In any case, I'm going to test fire the PM9, soon once I have figured out a range that has them...

wagon
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I like the Bersa, but it's again too wide. The reason why I got into Kahrs in the first place (via the Kel-Tecs) was that they are so slim.

Spec on paper and reality, sometimes, can be misleading. here are the SxS comparison for your viewing pleasure:D

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture56-pm9-380cc-sxs-rear.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture57-pm9-380cc-sxs-bottom.jpg