PDA

View Full Version : The new PM9

Pender1
10-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I just thought I'd vent my opinion about the PM9193. I know that Kahr is making an effort to please people who like things like external safeties and the such, but I hope that this does not replace what is already offered. I'm not bashing Kahr, this is just my personal opinion on the gun.

The loaded chamber indicator has two problems. 1)it pokes up above the level of the slide. IMHO a good indicator is depressed below level when empty and flush when loaded. No one wants an extra protrusion on a carry gun. 2)there's too much writing on the gun. The warning etched on the top of the gun bugs me. Call me weird, but I enjoy having an aesthetically pleasing gun and large amounts of writing do not fall into this category.

The thumb safety is almost a good design. It appears to be very flat to the gun and not something that's going to snag when drawing the gun or cutting your hand when firing. My only suggestion would be placement. I know that the function of this particular safety limits it's location, but it seems like it may be a little far back on the gun. I would prefer it to be just to the rear of the slide release instead of so far back on the gun.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone or said anything stupid. This was all just MY opinion.

ltxi
10-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Not an effort to appease buyers....just an appeasement to anti-gun/nanny states....primarily the one Kahrs are built in, ironically. PM9093/4 already has an effective loaded chamber indicator and the safety is a useless complication on this DAO design.

Pender1
10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
I agree with you on the LCI and safety. I'd never use the safety if I had one. The LCI on my PM45 works just fine for me.

Dietrich
10-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I`ve seen pictures of the new Kahr and I`m glad I bought mine before they did this to a fine looking firearm. And don`t worry about saying something stupid.I manage to do it at least twice a day.

wagon
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
But I thank the new model (the one with tattoo and safety), it made me decided to buy the "normal" PM9 -- before too late. :D

500KV
10-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Anyone who doesn't know whether there's one in the pipe really shouldn't be playing around with guns.

Dietrich
10-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Fellows, I guess we shouldn`t be too hard on the folks at Kahr.I reckon that it has bothered them quite a bit that they can`t sell their product to the citizens of the stste of Massachusetts. I wonder if the state has refused to accept any tax money from Kahr because their handguns didn`t pass the "safety" requirements they set.
To have your product banned from sale in the state your manufacturing operation is in must be very frustrating.

deadhead1971
10-19-2009, 06:23 AM
are the new models being offered in addition to the old style or are they totally replacing the old style?

Pender1
10-19-2009, 06:49 AM
are the new models being offered in addition to the old style or are they totally replacing the old style?

As far as Kahr's website goes it is listed as a separate model from the original PM9. So my guess would be at least for a while both will be sold.

luka
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
When you see changes, it is BECAUSE people that have Guns should NOT as they always assume a Gun is Unloaded or they Leave it where it should NOT be.
This is the same reason the Car Industry has all these Safety issues, think about all the added SO Called Safety on a Car, the reason the Anti-Gun people win all the time is because they know we will just sit back and wait for someone else to say something if it were Not for a Few we would Not have any guns? Think-Washington DC, NRA, etc, etc. So the Next time you see something on the Gun you are NOT happy with Let your Rep Know.:typing:

jocko
10-19-2009, 04:02 PM

on this, the regualr kahrs are not going by the wayside of the new model they introduced. They made this gun for a reason and that was to be Mass complaint. They are grand fathered in the stateof komi fornia, or otherwise their guns would not be accepted for they don't quality for california sales. this new model will quality for california sales.

They know what is their bread and butter here and unless some nation wide federal laws require all the bells and whistles on this new model. kahr will not be making any changes.

The PM9 is by far their best selling semi, so it figures they would introduce it with these new features.

Until I put my hands on one, I reserve my opinion on the safety and the LCI. I will state that I hate all that verbage that is on the damn slide. Justjunks up what to me is one of the most hand some semi's ever made. Again, who knows, maybe Mass law requires such....

zena
10-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Had to put myself in the "There's a new one?" category and then go look at it. Like my older all black stealth model much better. But living here in Mass. where they manufacture Kahrs, I have to claim my ignorance is justified because we cannot buy them new. Only LEO may purchase new. We have to be lucky enough to find an LEO actually willing to part with theirs to be able to own one. I've not heard of another one for sale in a long time around here.:frown:

jocko
10-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I just thought I'd vent my opinion about the PM9193. I know that Kahr is making an effort to please people who like things like external safeties and the such, but I hope that this does not replace what is already offered. I'm not bashing Kahr, this is just my personal opinion on the gun.

The loaded chamber indicator has two problems. 1)it pokes up above the level of the slide. IMHO a good indicator is depressed below level when empty and flush when loaded. No one wants an extra protrusion on a carry gun. 2)there's too much writing on the gun. The warning etched on the top of the gun bugs me. Call me weird, but I enjoy having an aesthetically pleasing gun and large amounts of writing do not fall into this category.

The thumb safety is almost a good design. It appears to be very flat to the gun and not something that's going to snag when drawing the gun or cutting your hand when firing. My only suggestion would be placement. I know that the function of this particular safety limits it's location, but it seems like it may be a little far back on the gun. I would prefer it to be just to the rear of the slide release instead of so far back on the gun.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone or said anything stupid. This was all just MY opinion.

THE no'S will pervail in this survey but we know why it was made that way. Mass complaince rules are weird by strict. I was just todldtoday by kahr that even all the verbage printed on the slide was mandated to be Mass, compliant, so at least a Mass resident now has a chance to own a kahr, and I don't think we who live else where should criticise this new model. It is there with allthe other kahrs that are not jacked up like this new model is for us to choose or not to choose.

If you wanna sell cars in komifornia, you MUST adhere to their stricter emission regulations, there fore you will see cars for sale stating "komifornia car"...

I voted no also as I don't like it either but yet I have a choice, Mass, people do not..

The LCI that is on all of our kahrs now was not Mass compliant. Until I get one in my hands I will reserve my opinion as to the exact location of this LCI. My bet u will not see that LCI in your sight picture either..

jocko
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree with you on the LCI and safety. I'd never use the safety if I had one. The LCI on my PM45 works just fine for me.

are both right, that being said, your PM45 can't be sold in Mass either, and I would bet that it being a new model by kahr will not be komifornia complaint either. The kahrs that are komifornia compliant are actually grandfathered in with komifornia regulations. I would assume any new model out would have to conform to their new strict "ridiculous" regulations

Just like the glock Model 25 and 28 (380 semi). They are not allowed to be sold to anyone escept LEO'S due to it being an import and that it doesn't make the reqired point count total for allowable importation......

No one ever stated that our elected politicians are "smart"..

Pender1
10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
are both right, that being said, your PM45 can't be sold in Mass either, and I would bet that it being a new model by kahr will not be komifornia complaint either.

You're right, PM45's are not available in Cal. or Mass. When I wrote this I was not versed in Mass. gun laws, however I'm slightly more informed at this point. However, I still hold that I do not like the design despite the ridiculously stupid legal reasoning behind it.

jocko
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
wait till u see one up close. It might not be as awful as think either. I am sure alot of thought went into this design along with a copy of Mass rules and regulations. If I lived in Mass and wanted a PM9, I guess I would then own one of those new versions. One does not hav eto use the safety and I don't for see it being there an issue one way or the other. My bet is that the average gun novice might find it even a safer gun all around.