PDA

View Full Version : upgrade GI model or just buy loaded 1911?

snatch
10-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I've been looking at buying a 1911. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a gi model and upgrade it myself or just bite the bullet and get a nice kimber cdp compact or springfield operator. If I go with the gi I definately want to upgrade the sights and grip safety. I can also buy a micro gi for concealed carry and a fullsize gi for range and home use for the cost of the cdp. Is it actually cheaper to buy the base model and upgrade what you want to? Or do u just spend more in the long run than you would if u just bought a loaded model? Any thoughts or opinions?

pistol pete
10-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I bought the Auto Ordnance 1911PKZ SE and put rosewood grips, stainless hex head grip screws, titainum firing pin, ect... ect.... I would say that its very much worth buying the base model and making it what you want it to be.

Popeye
10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
JMO here but if your looking for pure 1911 45 cal. fun then buy the GI model. If your looking for something better then just bite the bullet. In the end you'll probably allot happier and your pistol will have less down time.

Bawanna
10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I gotta agree with popeye on this one. It's like building a street rod, it's almost always cheaper in the long run to just buy one already done.
The GI's are great fun guns and if you can live with down time and separation theres alot of satisfaction in making it just what you want piece meal.
If you want to build from scratch you can even research and start with some of the imported knock offs since you end up throwing most of the stuff away anyhow.
I think a 1911 is like a motorcycle or a garage, they are never big enough or have everything you want on em. Kind of like a DisneyLand of guns, never completed as long as there's imagination left in the world.
Sure fun to ponder and think on. Maybe get the GI to hold and play with while your thinking on it.

snatch
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
thanks guys. i really dont want much. just a good set of sights and some thin grips. maybe an upgraded grip saftety. most of the gi's have crappy sights, at least as far as concealed carry goes IMHO, not so bad for the range but they really suck in low light. ive noticed alot of the gi's front sights are pinned to. so its either find sights that will fit, or have the front dovetailed. but $1000 for a 1911 just seems like a ton of money, and if i scratch it or drop i think i would cry. but that kimber cdp compact sure looks sweet, so does the smith & wesson 1911ES. i really like the idea of the commander slide on an officers frame, kinda like the 1911 version of the kahr covert. maybe the kimber cdp for carry and a fullsize springfield GI for the nightstand? i still gotta buy an ar15 and good home defense shotgun. man this gun hobby is becoming expensive and addictive, just like crack, but whithout all the downsides. although i havent bought anything for a while and i feel like im going through withdrawl. are you sure there isnt any addictive substances found in gun powder?

Bawanna
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Addictive for sure and the more you try to fight it the worse it gets. A GI with decent sights and a beavertail would make a nice gun for ya.

jeepster09
10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I am all for customizing....you get it the way you want in steps as you can afford.:yo: I really have come to like the XS Big Dot sights, I think I have them on 4 guns now.

Bawanna
10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Never pass up a chance to plus 1 XS Big Dots. I love em. I only got em on 3 so far but I got a line of them waiting.

Bawanna
10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey I just had a thought!,, I know, I know thats semi rare for me but hear me out.
Remington is coming out with a GI 1911 pretty quick. I saw it in one of the slick paper magazines. Lot's of 100 year commemoratives too.
It won't say Remington Rand on it like the old real ones but its suppose to be a mil spec genuine GI 1911. The beauty of it is it looks just like your GI but it's suppose to be upgraded inside. Better trigger and sear and well fitted. It still had the worthless sights and I believe the abbreviated beavertail or lack there of. The tester shot very respectably with it and was fond of it which of course we have to take with a grain of the sodium on account of he probably got a ton of green backs to say he liked it BUT it looked awesome. And it wasn't terribly expensive compared to many as I recall, wish I could find the mag, actually maybe I can, I think it was the Guns & Ammo 1911 annual or something, it might still be around work someplace. Seems like it was in the 500 range.
I'd love to own one myself, don't own any Remingtons, well maybe a 22 rifle. Reason enough to add it to the list.
You could be the first kid on your block to own a Remington 1911 and all the other kids would be sooooooo jealous. I already am.

mr surveyor
10-05-2010, 07:52 PM
just adding my worthless opinion, but I would stick to all steel construction. I never shot an alloy framed 1911 style pistol (and that includes Kimbers) that felt right or shot right in my hands. Sure, carry weight is reduced, but in my opinion the usefulness is reduced as well.

And, for what it's worth, unless you are experienced in 1911 pistol smithing (as in hand fitting parts) I would recommend buying what you want the first time around. I love my Kimber Stainless Compact, but I also know there's a lot out there to choose from with all the stuff I would want. I also have no problem buying high quality used guns at a bargain price.

surv

snatch
10-06-2010, 04:05 AM
Is that a springfield jeepster? I love that dark o.d. Green and black. The local gs has a champion operator that is super sweet.

snatch
10-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Bawanna, the local gs has the remington in stock for 600. I didn't handle it, but it did look really nice. If all the internals are already upgraded like you said, it might have a step ahead of the springfield and para gi models. Definately gonna have to go back and check that one out. The shooting range I go to in delaware has well over a hundred guns I can rent, and cheap to. So I can try out a few different ones and decide what just feels right. I'd buy used if I could find one, but around here you don't see any 1911s for sale used. Guess that's a good testament to their design.

jeepster09
10-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Is that a springfield jeepster? I love that dark o.d. Green and black. The local gs has a champion operator that is super sweet.

Para Ordnance Night Watch LDA.

snatch
10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice pics again jeepster. I can't tell makes and models on the crackberry screen, its to small. But I could tell that was a taurus judge. There's no mistakin that huge cylinder. Did you coat all those frames and slides yourself? Looks great. Makes me wanna give the old m&p compact the two tone treatment

Bawanna
10-06-2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911r1.aspx

Heres the Remington site. I see it does have dovetailed sights front and rear. They say tight tolerances, lowered flared ejection port, a crisp trigger.
I'd love to hold one.
Buds list them now but they don't have any. They are getting 580 delivered so your local GS is right in there money wise. Support local when we can.
Should be a plethora of 1911's out next year, most all the manufactures got plans for some sort of commemorative. Some shooter grade many keep it in the box and drool on it with cotton gloves grades.

Too rich for me but I can sure drool and look with the best of them. Speaking of which I gotta go empty my drool cup.