PDA

View Full Version : MK40 Felt Recoil

hollander
10-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Presently have, carry occasionally, and shoot occasionally a Walther PPS 40. The gun weighs approximately 20 oz. and is quite sharp to shoot for more than a couple of mags. Currently also have the MK9 and the PM9 which I also carry. I am interested in keeping at least one 40 caliber gun. What is your collective opinion on the felt recoil on the MK40? I could easily trade the PPS for an MK9 and still use the same holsters. Will I get any sort of recoil relief in all of your opinions? Thanks in advance.

Bawanna
10-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I have the K40 and as you described the recoil is quite sharp. Not punishing and I can shoot it all day but it is a jolt. I had it magna ported which helped some but it's still a good jolt. I prefer the push of my PM45 over the K40 for defense work.
The MK40 would be in the same boat to my thinking.
Many here say its a non issue and I'm a wooos for thinking the recoil is hard so it may not matter that much to you.. I'm not recoil sensitive but just don't like the jolt on a carry gun.

g26s239
11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I never tried the MK40 but the Glock 27 and HK P2000SK both have very noticeable recoil with substantially heavier slides. I will stick with my 9mm K9 and MK9 (in Kahr at least) for that reason.

robmcd
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
As a comparison in handguns of like weight, the approximate recoil energy of a 9x19 (124 gr. @ 1250 FPS) is 6.0 ft. lbs. which is a recoil velocity of about 16 FPS, a 40 S&W (155 gr. @ 1200 FPS) is 10.6 ft. lbs. and 21.3 FPS, while a 45 ACP (230 gr. @850 FPS) is only 7.9 ft. lbs. and 15 FPS.

garyb
11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I went through all the comparisons of 9 vs .40 vs .45; size; weight: glock 27 vs Kahr vs Walther vs Keltec, etc...; and what will do the job best when needed. I decided on the PM40, but that's me. The reasons for the .40 were compelling and undisputable....research it. I am not creating nor supporting any arguments on caliber. I simply call it "my caliber". I am very pleased with the PM40 for pocket carry or belt carry. It is simply a nice handgun to carry. I can shoot 100, 200....rounds at a time with no problem... but time and money. Recoil, schmeelcoil ( a new word)...it is nonsense! If you can shoot a 9 you can shoot a .40, you can shoot a .45. Please, dont be silly. You will adapt. You simply need to decide what you feel comfortable with and like everyone else, you will justify it to yourself and to others.

hollander
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I know I started this a few months ago. Since then I have purchased a Springfield Ultra Compact Stainless .45 and a Springfield EMP .40. After shooting both of those garyb above is correct. I have had no problem with either. When I get back from 5 weeks in Florida, the .40 PPS is going up for sale and when that takes place the search for an MK 40 will begin. I also have the PPS in 9mm but I am not sure I will get rid of that gun. I carry a PM9 in the summer and it conceals so well I think that I will up it to the MK 40 for the summer and the EMP 40 for winter. Thanks again to those who expressed their thoughts.

jocko
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I consider an airweight J frame smith with 38 spl in the same class as 9mm and the 357 mag in the same class as the 40. And firing a 357 out of an airweight J frame is certainly more noticeable in "felt recoil" than the 38 spcl. Doesnt mean a person can't shoot it, but for many they tend to fall back to the 38 spcl round due to "felt recoil". An MK 40 is going to be more pleasant to shoot than a PM40, doesn't mean you can't shoot either. And a MK9 and PM9 is going to feel better in the "felt recoil" area than the 40 cal. One can shoot damn near any gun but being totally comforatble with it is another thing..If u handle a 40 cal good then for sure why lower yourself . Most people who choose not to have a 40 caliber to my knowledge don't ignore it becuase of felt recoil as much as just PREFERENCE.

Bawanna
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Thank you Jocko for not making feel any less of a man.

I have no issues carrying my 40. I can shoot it all day. But to me that jolt is just enough that I'm not real comfy with it on a carry gun.
I shoot mine frequently, sometimes I suck in my gut, puff out my chest and shoot it at the range when there are angels present. So far it hasn't earned me any new angel friends but I'm sure they are quite impressed with the little handicapped fat man shooting the mini canon. I tell em it's my backup, carry a 50 for real business..........................usually get a smile anyhow and whats not to love about that!

jocko
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
agree, bawanna I never had any issue years ago "carrying" my Model 29 either, But I did have issues shooting the sucker. It just was a total handful but back in those days the 44 mag was DIRTY HARRY'S special. I fond the 41 mag far more pleasent to shoot of the two but neither really bent my crank back then. I think I had one because it was a macho thing to say I have a model 29. That was before I knew about porting to or that 29 would have had ports even on the damn cylinders..

Bawanna
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I had a 41 for many years and loved it immensely. A guy talked me out of it and to this day I still hate myself for letting him have it. I still have 2 29's and 2 Super Blackhawks that I don't shoot enough but still love them.

jocko
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM
The super blackhawks were a real bear to shoot compared to the 29's. I forogt all about them. I always thought it was strange that Colt never made a 44 mag in the Python frame.

The Model 29's were just a peace of art IMO , such quality and the finish was mirror blued finish. oh for the memories..

I did have a 6" Blued Python for awhile back then, never shot it much but that gun was so smooth out of the box over any Smith could ever dream of being. First thing I did with the Pyton was take their butt ugly grips off and had a set of herritts made for it.. I didn't shoot it well thoughI had some of the finest guns back then and neve rshot any of them well. do you think it could have been ME??? I really need to know Bawanna, ur the wise one on this forum. Your results could ease my pain for all these years of not knowing..

Bawanna
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Rest easy pal, it had to be the gun. All those guns and you shot em all lousey, just had to be a bad batch of guns.
I had to go back and check if you said wise one or wise a$$.

Colt did years ago make a 44. The Anaconda. 15 years before it came out me and a coworker were talking that they should come out with one and with all the snake names it should be a snake too. Cobra, Python, etc.
Danged if it didn't come out a year or so after we talked about it. I never played with one but as I recall it was a huge beast.

There was nothing to compare to the Python trigger though. It was a bit fragile compared to some but what a trigger and a finish.
At the price they are going for now days, I wish I had a couple dozen to part with.

jocko
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
forgot all about the anaconda. can't even picture it in my mind. certainly never sold any either. . They said back then and it might be all add hype but colt said every pythonspejd 6 hours on the timing and finishing bench..