PDA

View Full Version : Is MagTech Target Ammo Good?

OldLincoln
10-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm about to order range ammo for my 45. I got a free shipping thing from Streicher's for my last purchase. They have 2 products that will work, one is .45 ACP Magtech, 230GR FMJ for $19 and the other is .45 ACP Federal American Eagle 230GR for $21.

I know the American Eagle is OK as I've shot it, but never heard of MagTech. I plan on buying 10 boxes so it becomes a $20 difference. Of course once it's bought there's no return so being OK in my Colt Alloy is paramount.

Bawanna
10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Personally I'd go with the Federal myself. I just never had any use for the magtech. It's been so lone I can't cite any concrete events that make me not like it but as you said I know the Federal is good or always has been before.
My 500 free Hornady bullets that were part of my progressive press purchase deal are finally suppose to get here tomorrow. 185gr XTP's. They didn't have too many options for each caliber. Hoping to try these in my PM45 and see how they work. I used 185's in an earlier life with no problems then transitioned to the 230 for carry and 200 or 230 for reloads.

wyntrout
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
They didn't have any Man-sized bullets?? :D The .45 ACP is meant to shoot 230-grain thumpers... slow but big and mean.
I stick with 230's and vary the bullet... FMJ for the range and some really good hollow points for the serious stuff.
Wynn:D

On my third Newcastle Brown Ale... good. About 62° now... just right. Waitin' for Wifey's "Inbound" call.

Bawanna
10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
In 45 the 185 was the only option. An thats probably the only caliber I'll use up 500 bullets with anytime soon.
I usually stick with the 230 also but these will be fun to play with.

OldLincoln
10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Now that I ordered 500rds of .45 ACP Federal American Eagle 230GR @ $219 shipped, I see Palmetto State Armory has the same in 250rd bulk pack (http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/529.php) for $98 shipped ($196/500rds).

Bawanna
10-11-2010, 07:27 PM
20 bucks is lunch money for those that can afford lunch. Don't sweat the small stuff. If I had 196 bucks I'd order some from the second place and make ya feel really bad but not to worry. I won't likely see 196 bucks all at once for a long time.

OldLincoln
10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Me either!! I mentioned I was trying to slip this in before the cutoff, well the cutoff came about an hour after I ordered it. My wife has been putting all expenditures into categories as step 1 to setting a hard budget. We were both shocked to discover I spent over $3K total on gun related (no guns) purchases this year. I have to review it, but she is usually right. I know that's terrible, but maybe I can tell her "You're worth it honey! I can't protect you if I'm not prepared."

The thing is I was setting up, and bought 4 holsters, pistol boxes, lots of clothes, Cleaning gear, Dremmel-like tool and do-dads for it, and ammo, lots of ammo. Now I'm finished. Both guns and holsters are 100% ready, Belt & suspenders all worked out, Lots of defense ammo (years worth!) and plenty of range ammo for now.

I know a lot of folks get stuff over time, but it all fits into a project whereby each thing has a dependency. Had to get CCW. Have guns need lock boxes. Can't shoot unless the guns ready, to get gun ready, need to polish, get mags, replace springs, prove at range. Can't carry till get holsters. Holster has to be comfortable, conceal and not sag. Got to practice = range membership, range ammo. Defense ammo to carry. Clothes to carry for IWB & mags. Whew, it has been a lot of work!!

jlottmc
10-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the party that we call concealed handguns. BTW, I've not had a problem with magtech, but ma just be an anomaly.

OldLincoln
10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I read up on Magtech and it doesn't have a stellar reputation around the forums. Too many people have had problems for me to chance it. I won't link them but search and you will likely find.

f44life
10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
well i bought the copper defense rounds from magtech....i plan on carrying them so....ill shoot half the box and they all go well then i call it good.

jlottmc
10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I have my P45 loaded with the solid copper hollow points, and haven't had a problem with them. I do plan to shoot a bunch of them the next time I go to the range, just to confirm though.

f44life
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I have my P45 loaded with the solid copper hollow points, and haven't had a problem with them. I do plan to shoot a bunch of them the next time I go to the range, just to confirm though.
yep that my plan