PDA

View Full Version : Question: what's the best cleaning procedure.

yqtszhj
10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I have had my new CW9 for about 2 months now and have read many topics on cleaning and maintenance. I'm rather new to this "glockish" type pistol so I'll post what I do and would like to know if I'm missing anything or doing overkill. Here's my process:

1. Field strip down to frame, barrel, spring and guide rod, and slide.
2. Clean barrel, spring, guide rod. (That's the easy part.)
3. Spray down dirty parts of frame inside with CLP and detail wipe clean.
Now the part that I am not as sure about. The slide. :confused:
4. I spray away all loose crud between the breech and the muzzel with CLP and wipe clean. Clean around the striker and striker safety. Lub based on the diagram in this section.

Do I need to use the brake cleaner method mentioned in the clean out hole each time? I've read where the striker can/should run dry. What about the extractor? Clean at it or leave it be? Do I need to do much lube on the frame (trigger or anywhere else?) :confused:

I'm loving this gun and just want to do it right.

All input welcome. Thanks.

ripley16
10-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Do I need to use the brake cleaner method mentioned in the clean out hole each time?

No. The striker assembly can go thousands of rounds without needing any maintainance. Just like any other gun, try not to get too much dirty gunk get into the firing pin hole in the breech.

What about the extractor? Clean at it or leave it be?

Use a brush, pipe cleaner, etc., then wipe dry

Do I need to do much lube on the frame (trigger or anywhere else?)

If it moves metal to metal or rotates on a pin then a drop of oil is appropriate. A needle nose oiler really comes in handy in these areas, such as at the trigger/ trigger bar and cam locations..

Remember to wipe a thin layer of lube on the takedown lever pin.

jocko
10-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I have had my new CW9 for about 2 months now and have read many topics on cleaning and maintenance. I'm rather new to this "glockish" type pistol so I'll post what I do and would like to know if I'm missing anything or doing overkill. Here's my process:

1. Field strip down to frame, barrel, spring and guide rod, and slide.
2. Clean barrel, spring, guide rod. (That's the easy part.)
3. Spray down dirty parts of frame inside with CLP and detail wipe clean.
Now the part that I am not as sure about. The slide. :confused:
4. I spray away all loose crud between the breech and the muzzel with CLP and wipe clean. Clean around the striker and striker safety. Lub based on the diagram in this section.

Do I need to use the brake cleaner method mentioned in the clean out hole each time? I've read where the striker can/should run dry. What about the extractor? Clean at it or leave it be? Do I need to do much lube on the frame (trigger or anywhere else?) :confused:

I'm loving this gun and just want to do it right.

All input welcome. Thanks. like you have read the propper prepping of yournew kahr and that you know what your doing. to much lube is never good, remember that. the strker channel, that little cleanout hole int he bottom for me anyhow is spray cleaned every time i clean the gun. I never take my striker channel apart. This hole willallow you to do a perfect job of cleaning it and if you do it every time you clean the gun, it might take an extra 10 seconds. Kahrs extractors are realy self cleaning so they don'tneed toaken all the way down, spray clean it and then a light drop of oil on the back side of the extractor and that oil will find its way down that extractor channel..