PDA

View Full Version : MK9 with frame safety

Slave
10-16-2010, 07:47 AM
is it possible to swap parts with a pm9 tob make an mk9 with frame safety? Have they ever made a mk9 with frame safety?

jocko
10-16-2010, 09:07 AM
no, to first question and no to second question.

Bawanna
10-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that and why would you want one? The trigger pull is about 3/4 of a mile long like a fine revolver. Safe as can be to me and I'm still working on keeping my finger off the trigger. Too many nailguns in a previous life.

erice303
10-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Heck anything is possible, but you wold need to do some major modifications

Slave
10-16-2010, 05:57 PM
not to start a thread about safeties, as these are a deeply personal choice, but wife wants a frame safety, and she likes the steel version more.

Bawanna
10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I'd find a small frame revolver and do a side by side comparison with your wife doing the shooting. Educate her in operation of both. Emphasize that the lack of a safety is one less thing to deal with.
The length of pull on a Kahr lends itself to deliberate trigger operation to fire and many many here are comfortable carrying them in their pocket. That to me is proof that the gun is pretty safe even without the frame safety.
I think if your wife gets a little trigger time with a Kahr she'll understand that a manual safety isn't all that important.
The MK is a sweet little gun. She might opt for one of the PM's or CW's for the lighter weight but the MK is really nice.

Slave
10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
She liked the heavier weight of the MK9 because of less felt recoil.

She really likes the m&p 9mm compact, be she is such a little girl, that she can't conceal it. The kahr melt away on her hip.

10Kahrs
10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Consider the pm9 which is much lighter and have her pratice with standard pressure 9mm ammo. I have both MK9 and PM9 and love em both. You can also mag-na-port the PM and it will shoot like a cream puff.

Slave
10-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Consider the pm9 which is much lighter and have her pratice with standard pressure 9mm ammo. I have both MK9 and PM9 and love em both. You can also mag-na-port the PM and it will shoot like a cream puff.

Mag-na-port? What's that?

MikeyKahr
10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Mag-na-port? What's that?

Mag-na-port International--The Mag-na-port Process: Handgun Porting (http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html)

jggonzalez
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
She really likes the m&p 9mm compact, be she is such a little girl, that she can't conceal it. The kahr melt away on her hip.

If we're basing it on hip size I think I'll get my wife a Desert Eagle! :D

eastenn
01-22-2011, 07:53 AM

lmao..I take it she doesn't frequent kahrtalk

eastenn
01-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Sounds like you are in a similar position as I am. Right now she is just at the point of keeping a firearm in the car with her which is a 4" xd and she keeps it in a holster. She wants something smaller to put in her purse sometimes but she also wants a thumb safety. My first intention was a m&p9c until I held one in the gun store a couple days ago..still a chunky thing. So, back to the search. As stated, there's the pm9 with thumb safety, but there aren't a lot of other small 9's with a thumb safety. One I did find that looks pretty appealing at $361 is this Taurus.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_495/products_id/55284

Never had a taurus, but i would be willing to give it a try regardless of many opinions.

jocko
01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
lmao..I take it she doesn't frequent kahrtalk

My bet is she doesn;'t know who JGGONZALEZ is:popcorn:

jocko
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Sounds like you are in a similar position as I am. Right now she is just at the point of keeping a firearm in the car with her which is a 4" xd and she keeps it in a holster. She wants something smaller to put in her purse sometimes but she also wants a thumb safety. My first intention was a m&p9c until I held one in the gun store a couple days ago..still a chunky thing. So, back to the search. As stated, there's the pm9 with thumb safety, but there aren't a lot of other small 9's with a thumb safety. One I did find that looks pretty appealing at $361 is this Taurus.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_495/products_id/55284

Never had a taurus, but i would be willing to give it a try regardless of many opinions.

there is a big price difference in the taurus and the PM9 with manual safety. BUT there is a heep big difference in the over allquality of ech gun to. You get what you pay for, remember that. If she has to have a safety (which I wold recommend for a woman) and u don't feel like spending the bucks for the kahr, the taurus would be the way to go. You have to think about her mental attitude towards a gun that you might feel 100 % comfortable with but she is not. You might not need or care for a manual safety, as the kahrs are just taht safe without one , IMO but if she feels better with it, then you must go that way or the gun will sit home for sure as she will be scared of it. Nothing wron g with the taurus, if u get a good one, if you get a lemon just keep sending it back until they get it right, hoepfully that will not have to happen.

Nice thing abut buying here the PM9 with manual safety is if she decides some day to give up carrying PERIOD, you just acquired the best little pocket rocket on the market BY DEFAULT..:cheer2: This could possably work out as a God send for you..:cheer2:

eastenn
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Nice thing abut buying here the PM9 with manual safety is if she decides some day to give up carrying PERIOD, you just acquired the best little pocket rocket on the market BY DEFAULT..:cheer2: This could possably work out as a God send for you..:cheer2:
ha, don't think for a second that hasn't already crossed my mind. i guess i need to find a taurus forum and see what they are saying about that little gun also. i hardly buy anything without prior research

G3709
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I have checked with Kahr about Kahr installing external safety to other model such as K, MK series. Kahr Arms said they would do it if a State requires it such as MA thus the PM9 w/ external safety and LCI.

jocko
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone,
I have checked with Kahr about Kahr installing external safety to other model such as K, MK series. Kahr Arms said they would do it if a State requires it such as MA thus the PM9 w/ external safety and LCI.

ever doing that They know their biggest seller by far is the PM9, so they redesigned the pM9 to Ma complaint while still keeping the PM9 like it is to. They are not gonna change their entire line over to another model with a manual safety and LRI on it. Would not be cost efficient. Machining a MK or K series to be manual safety and with a LRI would be very costly for such little sales involved. Polymer really does trump any steel kahr made today, a dozen or so years back maybe not that way..

I think my point is also proved out with the introduction of the cm9 which is not going to be MA complaint for kahr has one model to serve that state and they know most kahr owners want NO MANUAL SAFETY OR LRI ..

jlottmc
01-23-2011, 11:12 AM

They don't make a pistol to base on my wife's hip size. Seriously, she's round, 4' tall and 4' wide. :eek: