PDA

View Full Version : Why I carry a gun

Dietrich
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
On the 29th 0f this month,the state of North Carolina will release 20 violent felons,most of whom will have no supervision.Not even a parole officer. This release is due to a "quirk" in N.C. law. In the 1970s the legislature passed a bill stating that when a criminal received a sentence of life imprisonment that the word life would be interpreted as 80 years.Now,jump forward a bit to the N.C. legislature of 1981. Those shimmering jewels of collosal ignorance decided that 80 years was too long and shortened it to 40 years.Fast forward to today. These 20 individuals are going to walk out of prison in 9 days. Among them ,7 at one time or another, were on death row. One killed a N.C. Hiway Patrolman. There are several murderers,several rapists [and yes,two of the rape victims were children.Oh, the rapists will have to register as sex offenders,boy don`t I feel better. ]and also included in this happy band are a few armed robbers who tried to kill their victims but failed.Maybe they`ll have better success when they get out and try again.
The present governor and the state AG are standing on their heads but cannot find a legal way to stop this insanity.I`m just a dumb ol` southern boy but this doesn`t seem to me like the government of my beloved state has my safety high on their agenda.This is one of the reasons I carry a gun.

wagon
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I carry because I simply exercise my rights to be able to save myself and/or my loved ones from grave danger.

Kahrdog
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't carry because I exist in the God forsaken Peoples Republic of IL and can't. I retire in March after 40 yrs in the Army, and will be moving back to my home state of Michigan. There might not be many jobs there, but at least we have concealed carry.

Kahrdog

zena
10-20-2009, 07:22 PM
That's why I carry a gun. What if one of Dietrich's recently released not so pleasant people decided the Northeast was the place for him, and became a part of the world I move through daily? What if one of the local scumbags who already move in a world too close to my daily life sees something about me or my world he thinks he should have? What if I choose the wrong day to be at the mall? What if I didn't have my gun on one of these occasions and I could have changed a devastating day into just a really bad one? Now I'm not suggesting that a gun is always the great equalizer or a magic wand and I'm certainly no cowboy. But my gun does give me some degree of comfort so that I can just go about my day, not worry, but stay alert and sleep with some peace of mind in my corner of the world.

wingnut
10-20-2009, 11:06 PM
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop. ;)

wingnut
10-20-2009, 11:08 PM
And by the way, Dietrich, I agree. That is messed up. I cannot believe there is no way to stop this from happening.

Stay safe.

Dietrich
10-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Just in case any of you have been wondering,no that isn`t me in my avatar.I`m much more ruggedly handsome.

Ol'coot
10-21-2009, 06:10 AM
I carry a gun because I believe that is my right, my duty and my personal responsibly to protect myself and my loved ones from the type of people Dietrich mentioned in the first post. I am never ceased to be amaze by the stupid decisions made by our elected officials. Also I firmly believe that if and when there is a crisis it will be over in a few seconds and a policeman is always just a few minutes away. I plan to be prepared for the unexpected, not let myself be a victim.

Dietrich
10-22-2009, 02:20 AM
The local television stations are starting to show interviews with the victims families.Lord,I feel sorry for those folks.There is no justice in this.

Rotty37
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Why do I carry a gun?

"In case I need to employ it in a worst-case scenario to prevent the
imminent and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or great bodily
harm to innocent people, my family or even me."

"It is my most important job to keep myself and my family safe, and
this is the best tool that I have to do so."

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and
not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the
ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate
the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the
mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass kickin'.

Funny ones:

• Because I can't carry a COP!!
• I carry a gun because I'm too old to fight. A young guy will kick
your ass, but an old man will just shoot you.
• Because I can't throw a rock 1000 fps.
• For the same reasons I have fire extinguishers and wear my seatbelt.
• I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.
• Don't let your dying words be "Damn, I wish I had my gun.
• Because a cop is too heavy to carry?
• OK, so a cop can walk, but then you have to carry donuts, to keep
him close by.
• When did Noah build the Ark? That’s right, before it rained.
• Doesn't everyone carry a gun?
• In case I need to shoot something… or someone.
• Because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
• Cuz a gun ain't got no legs...
• Because you never know when one of us is going to come up lame and
need to be put down!
• You know...because of the killer clowns.

WMD
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Just in case any of you have been wondering,no that isn`t me in my avatar.I`m much more ruggedly handsome.

Hmmmm, I thought the avatar was supposed to be a self portrait. I guess I should change mine then. :D

All kidding aside and to get back on topic.... I carry a gun because no one else will protect me or my family from the evil that currently exists around us. Times are changing in a direction I am not too crazy about. Whatever happened to the notion of people being held accountable for their crimes?

Values are either gone or forgotten, no one is accountable, and there are too many folks who live by the creed "if it is there for the taking, take it!".

An example of how things have changed....

I was in a motorcycle accident a couple of months ago. Picture a head on collision but at a slight angle. I was on the bike. I was thrown over the handle bars and bounced off the hood and windshield of the guy's Honda Accord and landed in the street. This occured on a relatively busy street and not one person stopped to aid me or even ask me if I was all right. They other vehicles that witnessed the accident just drove around me and vacated the area. The guy who hit me never even got out of his car and asked me if I was OK. He did try to drive away however. I was able to prevent that from happeneing.

Good news was I did not get hurt. The hood of the Honda absorbed the energy of the hit and I was also wearing protective (armored) gear.

In the not too distant past, folks would have stopped and provided aid or at least called for assistance.

We (as a country) are in a prestty sad state of affairs at the moment and I beleive it is going to get worse before it gets better. I hope I am wrong.

dschubert
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
News reports like this convince me that it is the right decision for nearly everyone.

In August, a man shot two people to death on a bridge near San Francisco. At the moment of the killings, two on-duty Marin County sheriff’s deputies were within 100 yards of the shooter. One was close enough to see the muzzle blast of the shotgun. The police officers, however, did not move against the culprit. One, stuck in traffic, called in a description of the killer’s vehicle as he fled. The other positioned her car to prevent traffic from entering the crime scene. These two law-enforcement officers did what police officers tell the public to do: Don’t intervene. Get a description of the offender. Call the police. Be a good witness. http://www.marinsheriff.org/uploads/457.pdf

Even if the police are present when someone is being assaulted or killed, they don’t necessarily have a duty to intervene — as evidenced by the praise given to the two Marin County officers by their sheriff after the aforementioned incident. http://www.marinsheriff.org/uploads/457.pdf

Cappy
10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't carry because I exist in the God forsaken Peoples Republic of IL and can't. I retire in March after 40 yrs in the Army, and will be moving back to my home state of Michigan. There might not be many jobs there, but at least we have concealed carry.

Kahrdog

What part of Michigan? I spent most of my childhood in Northern Michigan (no I am not a full fledged Uper, Eh!), the Traverse City area and Les Cheneaux Islands. Now I live in the Metro Detroit area, a great battle field :40:– LOL!

Sorry for getting off topic!!!!

Kahrdog
10-23-2009, 05:33 PM
What part of Michigan? I spent most of my childhood in Northern Michigan (no I am not a full fledged Uper, Eh!), the Traverse City area and Les Cheneaux Islands. Now I live in the Metro Detroit area, a great battle field :40:– LOL!

Sorry for getting off topic!!!!

I grew up in S.E. MI (St Clair Shores). Daughter lives in Marquette, U.P.
I hunt in the central U.P. But will probably return to S.E. MI. I miss MI :)

Cappy
10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I grew up in S.E. MI (St Clair Shores). Daughter lives in Marquette, U.P.
I hunt in the central U.P. But will probably return to S.E. MI. I miss MI :)

Since I am in SE Mi now ( I work in Chesterfield by the air base), when you get back send me an email and we can hook up for a java -- my treat! ;) I miss northern Michigan, but my wife wants to move to Florida. :eek:

LaVere
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Kahrdog

Welcome home to Michigan I'll keep the lights on untill you get here.

Born, raised and and lived here 67 years. Well two years off for the Army 1964