PDA

View Full Version : K9 - is it worth it to upgrade to elite trigger?

sttaffy
09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a K9, I love the thing. I am pretty accurate with it, more so than my G-19 with the longer barrel. I was wondering if anyone had done the regular -> elite trigger mod themselves, or if anyone sent it to Kahr to do for them. If you do it yourself which parts actually make the difference?

Warhammer
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I haven't done the Elite trigger upgrade to my 1996 K40, but I did buy the 5 pound striker spring from Wolff. (The original spring is 6 pounds.) I really like what it did to the feel of the trigger. It's still the same length of pull, just lighter and it feels smoother. Oh, and it only costs $3.50!

MattTheKnife
09-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I had the Elite trigger installed by a local gunsmith in my E9 several years ago. It really didn't do anything for the weight of the trigger-pull. However it did reduce a lot of the creep.

If I had the chance to do it over, I'd pass.

Keep in mind, I bought my E9 a decade ago. Perhaps the consrtuction on newer models would give better results.

mjames
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I had the Elite trigger installed by a local gunsmith in my E9 several years ago. It really didn't do anything for the weight of the trigger-pull. However it did reduce a lot of the creep.

If I had the chance to do it over, I'd pass.

Keep in mind, I bought my E9 a decade ago. Perhaps the consrtuction on newer models would give better results.

Is the trigger reset the same?

MattTheKnife
09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
It's been so long, I do not remember.

jocko
09-07-2009, 05:08 PM
don't think you will notice that 1/8" trigger travel difference, to me not worth the price to change either. the NY trigger is 1/2" trigger travel, trigger poundage is the same as the elite trigge rof 3/8" travel. So the only difference is the 1/8" travel. I have it on my K9 and I own a PM9 and I can't tellthe difference. I have since a long time back went to the wolffs 5# striker spring and to me that was the nicest improvement of any $5 spent. Most kahr triggers are around 7-8# out of the box. you wll feel a difference with the 5# striker but still not a hair trigger as the travel is still the same distance.

One has to understand that the city of NY has to "be different" that is why we have the ny triggers on glocks, mainly to please them and to get their guns approved. They wanted their semi's to have the same feel and trigger travel as their now long replaced revolvers.....Kahr bowed to this dictate to and since a few years back has now lost their NYPD approval of the K9 for back up use. I heard they are tryingto get it re-confirmed for BUG use..

ltxi
09-07-2009, 05:46 PM
......but I did buy the 5 pound striker spring from Wolff. (The original spring is 6 pounds.) I really like what it did to the feel of the trigger. It's still the same length of pull, just lighter and it feels smoother. Oh, and it only costs $3.50!

Thanks for the tip. Just tacked a 3-pack of these onto an order of S&W revolver and some magazine springs.

Mark G.
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a K-9 with the NY trigger, purchased the elite trigger & tried to do it myself. Was totally unsuccessful, could not get the pin to move any. Took it to a gunsmith who had an extremely difficult time, but finally got it done. I could feel the difference & enjoy the shorter trigger pull. For me it was worth it. I also have a P9 Covert with the elite trigger & just recently bought a P9 that does not have the elite trigger & I can notice a difference, but not as notable as with the K9.

midnite
12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
after reading all the great info on the k9 I installed the wolff striker spring and will head to the range today . hope to have a updated post with good news for the $3.95 I spent on a $700.00 gun:confused:

jocko
12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
after reading all the great info on the k9 I installed the wolff striker spring and will head to the range today . hope to have a updated post with good news for the $3.95 I spent on a $700.00 gun:confused:

is about as far as u need to go with your K9. chajging over to the elite skystem to gain 1/8" less trigger travel to me is not worth it. I have stated before I own the pM9 with elite and the K9 with the NYPD trigger and I can't tell the difference. Now changing to the 5# striker spring , once can certainly tell a difference..

ripley16
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I've owned both triggers in a K9 and IMO the shorter travel trigger is superior. Whether it would be worth extra money is another matter. I know I wouldn't buy another gun with the NY trigger.

johnh
12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I would have to agree on not doing it to a gun you already own. Save the money, buy more ammo, learn the trigger it comes with. I did and am quite pleased with the groups I get. My 2 cents anyway...

John