PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Fan!

Bstinson
09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Looks like I have the first post on my favorite conceal weapon.
Anyone out there want to chime in?

Best,
Brad:cool:

Cameraman
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I will second that. Great little carry pistol! I recently added a Crimson Trace Lazer grip.

buttmez
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
def. my favorite carry gun as well. i am on my second one. the first one i sold and wished i never would have. i recentley got married and on our honeymoon my wife suprised me with a new one!

allan
09-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I have both a MK-4043, and a MK-9093. They are both great guns, but I mostly carry the .40 as it has night sights. I intend to order night sights for the MK9 also.

Bstinson
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Buttmez - Congratulations! She sounds like a keeper too.
Wish my marriage would have started out that well. HA!

B

sixball
09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Just found the site. I am a very happy MK9 owner. I picked it up to use in warm weather but its fast becoming my #1 carry. If its not with me I carry a HK P2000. Both of them have been 100% reliable. :D

Bawanna
09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I too just found the site. As a dept armorer I've acquired two so far for officers who intend to use them for off duty and back up guns. I have yet to play with one but everyone who has is really happy with them. I'm sure several more will be headed my way in the future, hopefully one with my name on it. I have a K40 that I use as a backup to whatever 45 I'm carrying primary, usually a Para Ordnance 745 Limited. Now if I can figure out how to use the little faces I'll feel like one of the guys. What could be better than new gun from a new wife. Life is good.

sentinel
09-04-2009, 02:02 AM
I like mine for summer carry.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/sentinel208/DSC01797.jpg

firstluff
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I carry an MK40, but practice with an MK9... The cartridges are cheaper...a little, anyway...

dirksterg30
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I love my MK9; it's my spring/summer gun. The wood grips make it that much better:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/MK9/MK9withknife.jpg

MisterAnderson
09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I just finished putting 100 rds through my new MK9 Elite and it's a nice shooter. I did have one stovepipe using Federal 115gr FMJ, but I'll wait until the requisite 200 rds before passing judgment.

My co-worker has a MK40 and it was nice to compare the Elite side by side. The only issue I have of the design of both, is the plastic guide rod. My co-worker's guide rod was broken before he even had a chance to shoot it! The MK series is otherwise peerless, but the lack of a 'real' guide rod is something that I didn't expect to find after my purchase.

lunde
09-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Neo, you wrote:
The only issue I have of the design of both, is the plastic guide rod. My co-worker's guide rod was broken before he even had a chance to shoot it! The MK series is otherwise peerless, but the lack of a 'real' guide rod is something that I didn't expect to find after my purchase.You're aware that Kahr does sell a stainless steel guide rod, right? See: Stainless Steel Guide Rod (MK Series) (http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=711)

dshreck
09-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Very nice gun. That will definately be my next Kahr. Love the grips and if it shoots anything like my PM9, I will be one happy camper.:D

MisterAnderson
09-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Neo, you wrote:You're aware that Kahr does sell a stainless steel guide rod, right? See: Stainless Steel Guide Rod (MK Series) (http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=711)

Yes, thank you, I'm quite aware. On an otherwise near flawless execution, I don't think that a $700+ firearm that is otherwise all steel should come with a plastic guide rod. To then sell a stainless guide rod, to me, calls attention to the flaw in the design.

Call me particular, picky, or whatever adjective you'd like, it simply doesn't sit well with me. :)

lunde
09-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I am sure that the decision to use a polymer recoil guide rod is for weight-reduction, but they offer the stainless steel one for those who are less concerned with weight or otherwise insist on a stainless steel version. If I were you, I wouldn't think too much into it, especially if you're otherwise happy with your MK9. Life is far too short to worry about such things. Just be happy that Kahr Arms even offers a stainless steel guide rod. Some companies do not.

lunde
09-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Wolff also makes a two-piece steel (with corrosion-resistant black finish) guide rod set for the MK Series. See: Resources\Ordering (http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Kahr.html)

If you have a C&R FFL, or otherwise have a dealer account at Midway, the price is about $10 less there.

powpierre
09-08-2009, 07:55 PM
BIG thumbs up for the mk9..put crimson trace grips on a few weeks ago & they are perfectomundo! love the trig...

MisterAnderson
09-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Wolff also makes a two-piece steel (with corrosion-resistant black finish) guide rod set for the MK Series. See: [url=http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Kahr.html/Resources/Ordering[/url]

If you have a C&R FFL, or otherwise have a dealer account at Midway, the price is about $10 less there.

Yes, I'm aware that Wolff has three springs sets as well. The C&R does make the prices a bit nicer at Midway & Brownells, among others.

twpayne75
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Love my MK9. Does anybody make grips for these without buying CT's?

Would love to have some Hogues.

Terry

diver454
09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
MK9 w/Crimson Trace/Novak Rear Sight. Only pistol I own.

Bstinson
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I just finished putting 100 rds through my new MK9 Elite and it's a nice shooter. I did have one stovepipe using Federal 115gr FMJ, but I'll wait until the requisite 200 rds before passing judgment.

Mine acted a bit rough when I first got it too. But after the stated break-in period, it works flawless now.

On the guide rod topic. I did scratch my head on why they might have made it polymer. I would guess that the poster who concluded it was for the weight made a lot of sense. I will eventually replace that on mine but in the mean time I am pleased with its service. It is the only conceal gun I carry now.

Regards,
Brad

MisterAnderson
09-15-2009, 06:56 AM
I would guess that the poster who concluded it was for the weight made a lot of sense. I will eventually replace that on mine but in the mean time I am pleased with its service. It is the only conceal gun I carry now.

Regards,
Brad

While weight savings is a conceivable reason, if one was looking for weight savings, why look for it in a plastic guide rod of a a 22 ounce steel pistol versus buying a 14 ounce steel/polymer hybrid outright? :)

Glad to hear that your operation smoothed out. Mine operates well, its the performance with specific HP ammo that I'm not thrilled with at this point. While acceptable in terms of self defense, I'd like to see it shoot a bit more consistently. I will be purchasing a couple other brands of HP ammo to see if one works better than another.