PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight PM9 Ammo Suggestions

Riccardo
11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been reading that there are 'light weight' cartridges specifically made for short barrel, 9mm 'pocket' guns. Shells made from a lighter material than brass and lighter bullets. Does anyone have any suggestions, and how much lighter they actually are?

I have read that if carrying a full 6 + 1 PM9 and 7 round back up mag iwb, the lighter stuff could shave off as much as 3 to 4 ounces all together, depending on what you usually carry?? That's almost a QUARTER POUND!! Hardly seems possible, but I'd like to see the stats.

erice303
11-03-2010, 11:52 PM
14 rounds of 9mm will weigh in around 6.5 oz their is not way that using aluminum casses will lower the weight by 3-4 oz. i would select you carry load on something other than weight.

OldLincoln
11-04-2010, 01:17 AM
There is Short Barrel (SB) by Spear that has faster burning powder but probably weighs about the same. That's the only different ammo I know of for short barrels.

If you get excited about saving an ounce, don't carry pocket change and clean out your wallet. Of course you can choose not to carry back-up magazines or trade your PM9 for a .25 caliber gun, but it's a bad choice for self defense.

wyntrout
11-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I use the 9mm Speer 124-gr +P Short Barrel ammo for my PM9 and K9. Ammo is the last place you should try to "save weight". Choice of pistol, amount of ammo carried, and type of carry rig are the ways to do that. Then effectively putting enough rounds on target in the shortest possible time will take care of the bad guy(s). Slow careful aiming is not usually a choice in self defense.
JMHO.
Wynn:)

8th SPS USAF
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
One of my friends wanted to carry CCI Al Blazer 45 in his gun to

cut down on the weight. After using a scale to check, I think a full

clip only was about 1/2 oz difference. The Fiocchi 9mm EMB is

only 92 grs. I plan on trying it in my MK9 when it gets here.

8th

Riccardo
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Ammo is the last place you should try to "save weight". Choice of pistol, amount of ammo carried, and type of carry rig are the ways to do that.

I know...you are absolutely right. I was just wondering. I think we all want to make our rigs as comfortable as possible. I am borderline with pocket carrying my Kahr PM9. It's just a little heavy and sits like a brink in my front pocket. If I could drop a couple of ounces without compromising safety/reliability, then why not?

OldLincoln
11-04-2010, 11:06 PM
For me, the PM9 IS a tad heavy for pocket carry. It just doesn't feel right. So I got an IWB holster that puts the weight on my hip and no longer noticeable. You may want to consider that solution.

Riccardo
11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
For me, the PM9 IS a tad heavy for pocket carry. It just doesn't feel right. So I got an IWB holster that puts the weight on my hip and no longer noticeable. You may want to consider that solution.

For IWB, I feel a lot more options open up, including higher capacity pistols, compacts instead of subcompacts for greater control, etc. I really liked the Kahr for summer pocket carry, yet it feels just that tad too heavy. I know 3 ounces for my mag and backup mag combined savings is minimal, but if the box of ammo only costs $20 or so, I wouldn't mind giving it a try just to see how it feels. Hope someone can toss out a suggestion.

Mr. S
11-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I haven't tried this particular load but it might be worth checking into.

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 9mm Corbon DPX 95gr. Hollow Point Ammo [DPX0995/20] - $28.95 (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-9mm-corbon-dpx-95gr-hollow-point-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo)

citizen9mm
11-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't carry anything less than 124 gr +P in a reputable brand JHP, but that's just me. I don't compromise weight by my ammo selection. I would highly recommend checking out some unbiased testing on the ammo you select before you trust your life to it.

joshh
11-08-2010, 08:34 AM
i've been iwb carrying the 147gr win pdx in my pm9 and honestly i cant feel the difference in weight from the 115gr.

wyntrout
11-08-2010, 09:50 AM
A PM9 load of 6+1, or 7 rounds of 9mm 115-grain bullets, weighs .51 ounce less than 7 rounds of 147-grain bullets, hardly worth worrying about the weight difference. There are 7,000 grains in a pound or 437.5 grains per ounce.

I guess that if you were carrying a 7-round reload of 115-grainers as well, you could save a whole ounce over the 147-grain bullets!

Wynn:behindsofa:

joshh
11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
winchester & leo's recommend the 147gr in the short barrel pistols, so that's what i use. also never have had any feeding issues with 147gr under any conditions. "lip wristing", weak hand, etc. the pdx casings are plated for corrosion resistance too which makes more sense to me, havent people had issues with aluminum cases in single stacks?

wyntrout
11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
The aluminum cases are throwaways so reloaders won't care for those. I DID see and fire some reloads using the aluminum cases, though, so it's "possible". I guess you can drill out the primer cavity and use even Berdan-primed cases... steel, too, but that creates the possibility of pressures different from the original design.
Wynn:)