PDA

View Full Version : A Pretty Amazing Holster: Remora's Clipless IWB

Riccardo
11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
This is a reprint from the Smith & Wesson forum, but I thought this was so interesting that I'm hoping some of the experienced IWB'ers and pocket carriers can weigh in:

Have you ever run across a product and said, “Man, where have you been all my life? I could have used this for the last 25 years!” Well, that’s my feeling after two weeks of wearing the inexpensive no-clip IWB holster from Remora Concealment and Security Products.

Remora Concealment and Security Products (http://www.remoraholsters.com)

When I started carrying (about 25 years ago), I was a poor college student. I needed something that would allow me (a southpaw) to carry concealed safely and securely. What I got, though, were a succession of schlocky holsters that were either bulky or didn’t protect the gun or would fly out on the draw. And this only after long searching for left-handed holsters. If I were to run across a college kid today in that situation, I’d give a quick, easy referral to the $30 Remora no-clip IWB holster.

No clip?! Well, you have certainly seen the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, the one with the rubberized "grippy" outer surface designed to keep the holster in your pocket. I've had a few for years now - big problem with them is that the grippiness fades over time and the holster doesn't sit so well in the pocket. Anyhow, I've tried used the Nemesis holsters IWB on occasion. A belt holds them pretty firmly in place, and they add very little bulk. The problem is that the pocket-holster design of the Nemesis is not ideal for such use: it’s a little oversized, designed to release the gun quickly on the draw. Not the security you want for IWB.

Nemesis and handmade mag pouch with CZ RAMI
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0010001yyy.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0020001yyy.jpg

Turns out that I'm not the only one who's attempted this. The fellow who invented the Remora holster (promising name!) took the Nemesis-in-the-waistband idea and really improved on it. Little subtle improvements, like using an even grippier rubber coating, using a heavier liner, closing the bottom of the holster, fitting the holster better to the gun, and using grippy stuff on the binding over the seams (holds the gun in the holster better).
Remora holster below, DeSantis Nemesis above – note the grippy binding used on the Remora

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0110001yyy.jpg

And note the upgraded and more-structured lining of the Remora (L)
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0100001yyy.jpg

Exteriors are similar grippy stuff – Nemesis above, Remora below
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0090001yyy.jpg

Anyhow, I ordered one (obviously) for my CZ RAMI after reading about the Remora product, and my holster came two weeks ago yesterday. Lightning fast service: they had it across the country to me in two business days. (Remora’s owner, Alan Bogdan, threw in a free mag holder, too - a really well designed one - because I'd had a little delay in being able to pay for my holster since his site had been hacked – it’s totally fixed now.) I unpacked the holster, loaded in the gun and immediately went on a hike in the foothills. After two weeks of serious wearing it (in the rain, sweating on it on hikes including one up a mountain, at the range, among non-gunny people, doing yardwork and lifting), I think it's a winner. (If I were a retailer, I would carry this line.)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0030001yyy.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/20aug10Remora0040001yyy.jpg

The Remora no-clip IWB holster is ambidextrous out of the box ( – no more searching for Southpaw holsters!). The rubber used is, if anything, a bit stickier than that on the DeSantis Nemesis. The Remora holster holds the gun in place. It’s suitable for a wide variety of IWB carry positions (cant and depth), according to user preference. It does not slip down or around (or at all) in the waistband. It releases the gun on the draw. It does not come out with the draw. It protects the gun from sweat and rain. And – thanks to the no-clip design – it accomplishes all of these things in as thin a package as is possible. Remora holsters are available for a very broad variety of handguns (see their site).

The Remora no-clip IWB holster works much better with a belt than without a belt (though I’ve worn it without a belt around the house and getting the mail and such). It does not allow for particularly rapid one-hand re-holstering. Not being a gun gamer, I'm not in a hurry to reholster. And I note that a whole lot of people seem to shoot themselves while undertaking such unnecessary (there’s rarely a real-world prize for being the first one to disarm himself) shenanigans. And this holster is a tool: I’m no longer a poor college student and am fortunate to be able to afford whatever I want – I note that some folks can make a bit of a fetish out of their gun and holster. That’s not my style: I just want something that works, and don’t take any real pride in owning fancy gear. On the contrary: I find that I worry about messing it up. This Remora holster is something that will get used.

This size of Remora also has proven to work great with my Walther PPS
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/505Erich/Handguns/21aug10PPS0050001yyy.jpg
Remora advertises a “Lifetime ‘No Questions Asked’ Warranty”. Judging from the really great service I got on ordering (which included several emails offering to take care of any hassles from the temporarily hacked website in any way convenient to me, as well as having Alan pay attention to what I was ordering the holster for and send me the correct holster for my gun and not the incorrect one that I’d oafishly ordered), I have great confidence that Remora will back this up. But, after two weeks of wearing the thing pretty heavily, I doubt replacement will be necessary.

The Remora mag pouch deserves some praise as well: it holds the double-stack magazine upright in the pocket. The magazine does not shift around and it does not slide out of the pouch during rough movement. The pouch allows the magazine to be drawn but remains in the pocket itself. Absolutely worth the money.

In all seriousness: Remora, where have you been all my life?!

Recycooler
11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
++++1^^^
Got 2 yesterday at LGS going to get magazine holder on friday.Really comfy!

garyb
11-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Cool! I have seen this holster in the past during one of my many searches. I have been thinking about an IWB holster, although I primarily pocket carry my PM40. This looks like a viable solution at a reasonable price. I sent them an inquiry to see which of their holsters is a best fit for my hardware. Thanks for bringing this option back to the surface for me :rolleyes:.

pm9fan
11-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Agree this is a great holster and excellent buy. I called Remora (Alan) two weeks ago and confirmed the sizing for my PM9 and Glock 27. Asked about a LE discount and he provided excellent service. Shipped the following day and received three days after ordering. ($24.95 each, $4.95 shipping - LE discount off the site is better than most!).

I was a sceptic but after carrying my PM9 for 13-15 hours for a few days, this is a keeper holster. Very comfortable and does not slip or shift (with a good gun belt). Nice to be able to switch sides (L/R) or appendix carry with the same holster. It actually will work as a pocket carry too.

Another feature I noticed is the ability to set the holster to the height you want at will. My PM9 grip fits well just above the belt and provides a full grip for the draw. I would recommend getting the "SS" (sweat shield) mod for and extra $5.00 if you live in a humid climate. He also offers a re-enforced version for easier reholstering. I had no problems with the standard version reholstering with one hand.

Remora offers a "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" Lifetime Warranty. Tough to go wrong with the price and the warranty.

Very pleased with the product and service.

Tilos
11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Damn it, now I have to buy one(some).
Thanks for the reviews.

just sayin'
Tilos

Riccardo
11-26-2010, 06:51 AM
This is a far from perfect holster and you need to know its problems.

1. If you wear a tucked in shirt over your gun/holster, you will have SERIOUS problems on the draw. The holster clings to your clothing. So when you try to untuck the shirt to get to your gun, the holster/gun will move up with the shirt, quite probably coming all the way out of your waistband and falling onto the floor when you need it most.

2. Yes, the Remora disappears quite easily. Since it's weight is not supported by a clip to your waistband, you don't feel that downward pull. But if your tucked shirt or undershirt (the bigger problem for me since I wear untucked) rides up during the day from movement/stretching, etc., the remora can ride up along with it. I've looked down after a couple of hours to see my undershirt has ridden up out to come untucked (which wouldn't be a problem), and the hoster/gun have come right up with it...so high they could have fallen out any moment.

Tilos
11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Richardo:

Thanks for that info.
I'm a charter member of this club, and most of the members of "team hang belly" never tuck our shirts anymore, so not a problem.

just sayin'
Tilos

jocko
11-26-2010, 09:45 AM
not pointing to anyone person here so take it for what my opinion is worth

We are to hyped up over this fast draw stuff, be it in the waist band or out of the waist band or in the pocket or on the ankle. Please show me one instance where any of the above "failed" or "succeeded"...

If u carry where ever, you are way ahead of the game. the elimate of surprise is on your side, as it is normally with the BG to. If he wishes to shoot you, he will just shoot you-period. If he wishes to rob you,and presents no gun or weapon,,, then you have the elimate of surprise. Just my 2 cents.

As I have stated before back some 35 years ago + -, I was armed robbed twice in my gun business and when you have a gun presented to you FIRST, none of these carry positions is gonna save u. go for that gun in any of those carry positions and u are dead. Survival kicks in real fast and if you have not been there then u have no clue as to how u are going to react. I am still here to rewrite about it, so I feel I must have done it right...

I feel more assured that if a BG knows you are carrying as some people like to talk about open carry, that if he means to do deadly harm, then again your probalbly dead, as he has to make the first move for if u do, u might be spending the rest of your life in jail because u shot was what you thought was a BG because he had a gun that was in view andit turned out to be one of our forum members who feels open carry is the way to go..

Riccardo
11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
richardo:

Thanks for that info.
I'm a charter member of this club, and most of the members of "team hang belly" never tuck our shirts anymore, so not a problem.

Just sayin'
tilos

tmi!!! :d

Wasabi
12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Agree this is a great holster and excellent buy. I called Remora (Alan) two weeks ago and confirmed the sizing for my PM9 and Glock 27. Asked about a LE discount and he provided excellent service. Shipped the following day and received three days after ordering. ($24.95 each, $4.95 shipping - LE discount off the site is better than most!).

I was a sceptic but after carrying my PM9 for 13-15 hours for a few days, this is a keeper holster. Very comfortable and does not slip or shift (with a good gun belt). Nice to be able to switch sides (L/R) or appendix carry with the same holster. It actually will work as a pocket carry too.

Another feature I noticed is the ability to set the holster to the height you want at will. My PM9 grip fits well just above the belt and provides a full grip for the draw. I would recommend getting the "SS" (sweat shield) mod for and extra $5.00 if you live in a humid climate. He also offers a re-enforced version for easier reholstering. I had no problems with the standard version reholstering with one hand.

Remora offers a "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" Lifetime Warranty. Tough to go wrong with the price and the warranty.

Very pleased with the product and service.

What Series Remora did you get for your PM9? From the website, its shows that a Series 6 will work with the PM/MK9 and also a Glock G26/27/33. I have a PM9 w/CT laser and a G33 and was wondering if one Remora will cover them both or is it best to get two different sizes?

Thanks for any input.

500KV
12-26-2010, 05:42 AM
I bought the size 6 for my mostly medium size carry guns and it works quite well with the PM9 as well.
However, if I was only going to carry a PM9 I would probably go with the size 4.

I'll second the good reviews. These are amazing holsters that stay put and allow one to adjust for any cant or depth.
The material is not sticky but what I would call clingy.
I've been carrying a G36 around now for about 2 weeks and with jeans, even without a belt, this thing just stays put and is very comfortable.

garyb
12-26-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm sold and will be purchasing one in 2011 for IWB and pocket carry. Sounds like a versatile and effective solution, at a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing the input guys.

Wasabi
12-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I bought the size 6 for my mostly medium size carry guns and it works quite well with the PM9 as well.
However, if I was only going to carry a PM9 I would probably go with the size 4.

I'll second the good reviews. These are amazing holsters that stay put and allow one to adjust for any cant or depth.
The material is not sticky but what I would call clingy.
I've been carrying a G36 around now for about 2 weeks and with jeans, even without a belt, this thing just stays put and is very comfortable.

Thanks for the input,

I also emailed Alan (Remora) the same question and he concurred that the Series 4A is best for my PM9 w/CT and the 6 is best for my G33. Excellent customer service BTW. Very prompt with his response and he is a great guy to deal with. I placed an order for both a 4A and a 6 both w/sweat shields. Looks like I'll have a bunch of other holsters FS soon. :D

Rotorflyr
02-12-2011, 04:39 AM
For those of you who have (or have tried) the Remora, how well do they work without a belt?
Reason I ask is on their webpage, they have vids of a gal doing tumbles etc, to show that the gun doesn't fall out, but she's wearing a belt and a lot of women don't wear belts (especially with their work/dress clothes)

pm9fan
02-12-2011, 06:01 AM
For those interested in getting the "sweat shield" version, this has the inboard side cut a bit longer.

Just mentioning this as the standard Remora is symetric. The standard Remora is good for all positions - strong side, appendix, small of the back, cross draw, left or right. The sweat shield is side dependent.