PDA

View Full Version : Is the MK9 the right gun for me?

DasFriek
11-07-2010, 02:44 AM
At the first of the year im buying a 3rd addition to my ccw line of guns and want a back pocket gun plus one i can have fun with at the range.
The MK9 seems like the perfect gun, But i figured id better ask first.

1. It would be a bug in my back pocket when i know im going to rough parts of town, Besides a spare clip for my 1911.
2. I dont want another .380 even tho price and availability is getting better.
3. I think the steel frame of the MK would be better at the range over the PM9 with the added weight in such a small gun. I love to shoot and thats why i dont want another .380 that uses ammo that costs as much as .45acp.
But i dont want a pocket rocket that will make me want to put it away after 2 mags.
4. Im 6'4" and 270lbs and use a leather covered Desantis Nemisis holster and will be sitting on the gun alot. I did this with a Sig P238 for months with no ill issues, Will the MK handle it also?
5. Any versions i should be aware of to not get?
6. Any major issues that can happen or seems more prominent than normal?
7. PM9 would be a better fit for me?

I was hoping to buy the new Sig P290 but all accounts say it wont be ready for order until January and i see no since in waiting on a gun that i doubt will beat the PM/MK line.

jocko
11-07-2010, 09:48 AM
If all steel is what you want the MK9 is ideal. It willbe pleasant to shoot, although I have a PM9 and I find it totally pleasant to shoot and it is my 24/7 carry peace to, so I shoot what I carry. That being said I have a K9 that it truly a great shooter and it feels so much "like a gun" should. but it is my home and range gun, never my carry. If ur gonna waist band carry the MK9 you will love it. If ur gonna pocket carry, not sure you will love it. as big as u are, u should be able to hide a tank in ur front pockt and maybe the MK9 willbe of no bother either..

jlottmc
11-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Shoot one of each if you can. If you like one over the other, then you'll have your answer. If you are drawn to a particular one over the other, then don't second guess yourself and get the thing. You'll be much happier if you do. As far as the sitting on the gun part, I have yet to see a gun that will do more than get a little of the orange stuff on it (sights and mag release on the Kahr) with treatment like that. Clean it well and often, and go with what you like.

DasFriek
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
It would be rear pocket only, Possibly coat breast pocket but never front pocket or IWB.
My last 2 guns i did this with was the Walther PPS 9mm and Sig P238 .380 and i much preferred the Sig due to its smaller size. Its almost identical size wise too the MK9 tho. The PPS barely fit my rear pocket and i had to make a leather half holster that disguised its shape on the outside and had a flap at the top as the gun could be seen without it. I carry my full sized 1911 80% of the year. This gun would be for a quick trip when i dont want to holster up the 1911 and just throw the small bug in my rear pocket and go. I even have a XD SC .40 i carry iwb during the hotter summer days.

If how the gun shot and handled wasn't an issue id just buy a Keltec PF9 or Taurus 709, But i feel neither of these will handle as well as the MK.
Plus i find those guns ugly, But i do like the looks of the new Sig 290 but i doubt it will be on the shelves yet when im ready to buy.

Im pretty sure i could rent a PM9 at a local range but i doubt they will have an MK9 on hand. I don't have rust issues in Ohio that ive found, But im also pretty diligent at cleaning and lubing and keeping the carry guns protected with the right lubes.

Ill be honest, The reason i think MK9 over the PM9 is the steel frame. It was the big reason i loved the Sig P238, It tamed that gun to the point it was amazingly fun to shoot. But that was during the ammo drought and i couldn't afford to shoot it and finally got fed up with that.

Im a 1911 guy at heart so i tend to like metal framed guns which is kind of hard to come by in small guns.

jocko
11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
gotta take into consideration the 9mmis just one pleasant gun to shoot in any desgin, be it polymer or all steel. Notice one thing damn near every new gun introuduced is polymer. To there is a reason for that. My PM9 is ported so that changes the ball game for felt recoil but you just don't readon this forum of people complaining about the recoil of a pM9. the gun just shoots very nice. No doubt a gun twice as heavy will feel different to.

Mind over matter....

Bawanna
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
It would be rear pocket only, Possibly coat breast pocket but never front pocket or IWB.
My last 2 guns i did this with was the Walther PPS 9mm and Sig P238 .380 and i much preferred the Sig due to its smaller size. Its almost identical size wise too the MK9 tho. The PPS barely fit my rear pocket and i had to make a leather half holster that disguised its shape on the outside and had a flap at the top as the gun could be seen without it. I carry my full sized 1911 80% of the year. This gun would be for a quick trip when i dont want to holster up the 1911 and just throw the small bug in my rear pocket and go. I even have a XD SC .40 i carry iwb during the hotter summer days.

If how the gun shot and handled wasn't an issue id just buy a Keltec PF9 or Taurus 709, But i feel neither of these will handle as well as the MK.
Plus i find those guns ugly, But i do like the looks of the new Sig 290 but i doubt it will be on the shelves yet when im ready to buy.

Im pretty sure i could rent a PM9 at a local range but i doubt they will have an MK9 on hand. I don't have rust issues in Ohio that ive found, But im also pretty diligent at cleaning and lubing and keeping the carry guns protected with the right lubes.

Ill be honest, The reason i think MK9 over the PM9 is the steel frame. It was the big reason i loved the Sig P238, It tamed that gun to the point it was amazingly fun to shoot. But that was during the ammo drought and i couldn't afford to shoot it and finally got fed up with that.

Im a 1911 guy at heart so i tend to like metal framed guns which is kind of hard to come by in small guns.

Welcome to the old school DasFriek. Nothing better than steel and wood. The MK is a sweet gun. I say go for it. A man your size has to have big hands, the K9 might be a better fit but with the MK9 you don't need a lot to hold on to. Tupperware is great, it's light and has a purpose and is the way things are going, but sometimes theres no need to leave our roots.

DasFriek
11-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Well i didn't find the PPS9 to be all that fun to shoot, I think its overly thin frame and high bore axis hurts it.
But you are right, There is nothing wrong with polymer and a lighter gun generally is more handy as long as recoil isnt an issue. And ive seem many accounts of people saying the PM45 has amazingly low recoil for what you would expect.

I think i may leave this open ended and say "PM or MK" either is fine. Its just i seem to get more attached to metal framed guns as they seem to have more character.
The MK will most likley cost me more money and require me to order online or special order at my local pusher.
Admittedly i love the all Black PM9 as all my guns are all black.

So you make me not so set on one gun which is good as it can make my life easier at buying time.

But im still liking the all steel gun for my needs on this one.

jocko
11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
no doubt if I was 6'4 and weighted 270, I probalby would be pocket carrying a 50 cal desert eagle, with a big sign on my back that would also say DON'T FOOK WITH ME..

Bawanna
11-07-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't think I'm 6'4 on the first rung of a ladder but been awhile since I did ladders so hard to say. No doubt if I was 6'4 I'd command a tad more respect in my everyday travels, not that that is anything I'd ever get used too.
When I tested for the State Patrol in an earlier life the minimum height requirement was lowered to 5'6 for minoritys and women, it used to be 5'11 and if you were 6'4 or more college wasn't required. They wanted big boys.
As they measured me after doing well on all the other test the guy asked me if I was stretched out, I told him I was and he said give me a little more, stretched my neck a bit and he said there ya go 5'6.
He told me not to wait for the call, the standards were lowered but they still weren't hiring short people. Said he'd love to have me if I grew up, never happened.

DasFriek
11-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Being a big'ish type guy can have its downfall's also. It seems all the crazy nuts want to take issue with you first. But the flat top hair cut and tattoo's usually even makes them think twice.
But in reality ill run before ill throw a punch, Im no fighter. And thats one reason i wanted my CHL as someone is one day gonna try and take a lifetime of frustration out on me as i stand out so much.
Turning 40 really made me see life differently.

TBH tho size is great for concealing large weapons. Just this summer at the local DNR range i was shooting my .22 benchrest gun and was talking to the RO and the subject of carry guns came up. He said he didn't even know i was carrying a gun, I said "Oh sure i am, Wanna see?"
Thats when i showed him my 5" 1911 at 3:30 and he couldn't believe it as all i had on was a T-shirt.

Now im more like speak softly and try and remain unnoticed. Life is to crazy anymore and i really dont care for standing out so much now like i did when i was in my 20's.

As stated i carried a Walther PPS 9mm and a Sig P238 at different times in my rear pocket. I still do with the PPS as i sold it cheaply to my mom and if i even want to carry it i do on occasion when strapping on my larger guns take to long for a short run to the gas station.

So either the PM9 or MK9 both should be perfect for what i want in a bug/pocket gun. If .380 was just as available and had the large selection and a low price like 9mm id stick with a Sig P238 as i really liked that gun.
Cocked and locked on both my carry guns seemed like a good match.

But i want a 9mm and i want one smaller than the PPS and also one thats high quality. If .45acp was cheaper id just get the PM45 as that gun amazes me every time i see one.
But i want this gun affordable to shoot, And i love my 1911 so i cant stop carrying that.

jlottmc
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Well here is how you solve all the problems in one fell swoop. Buy all three the MK9 the PM9 and the PM45. If you find yourself gravitating less towards one peddle it. I too love the feel of a steel gun in the hand, but the tupperware does carry better on those uber long days.

DasFriek
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I wished i could do that as i would buy the PM45 for sure and add it to the PM/MK 9mm. But i live on a fixed low income budget. And i know i could buy 2 good small guns like an LCP and a PF9 both for the same price as one MK9, But as i said i want a gun that is high quality and it feels and shoots like it also.

Walther pps 9mm - Weight (w/o Magazine):19.4 Ounces
Sig 290 - Weight w/Mag 20.5 oz
Sig 238- Weight w/Mag 15.2 oz
Kahr PM9- Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces. 15.9oz total.
Kahr MK9- Pistol 22.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces. 24oz total

Id guess the PPS would be 21.4oz with a mag.

I suppose alot will depend on how the day goes that i go to the gun store.
Most likley the MK9 would have to be ordered and i wouldn't expect much of a sale price.
The Sig P290 will most likley be on order but not in any shops yet.
The PM9 should be in stock and available so id say there is a good chance i end up with that as long as there are too many hoops to jump threw to get an MK9.

Bawanna
11-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I just checked Buds in your behalf.
They currently have in stock.
Stainless PM9 std sights-606 W/ns 718
Black PM 9 Std sights 644 Didn't catch w/ns

Mk9 Stainless std sights 657 w/ns 733

And for you folks searching for the external safety models they have those for 734 std sights, and 829 w/ns, this is the stainless model.

All these numbers include shipping, no tax to your local FFL

I didn't even look at PM45's, didn't want to muddy your waters and make you hate me for putting temptations in front of you.

TD2K
11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
my first handgun was the MK9, and it's a favorite. It was love at first sight, I loved the feel of it. I felt like I had more control of it than I did the PM9. I carry it IWB daily w/o any issues.

TD2K
11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
and I'm scary accurate with it too. :)

jocko
11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I wished i could do that as i would buy the PM45 for sure and add it to the PM/MK 9mm. But i live on a fixed low income budget. And i know i could buy 2 good small guns like an LCP and a PF9 both for the same price as one MK9, But as i said i want a gun that is high quality and it feels and shoots like it also.

Walther pps 9mm - Weight (w/o Magazine):19.4 Ounces
Sig 290 - Weight w/Mag 20.5 oz
Sig 238- Weight w/Mag 15.2 oz
Kahr PM9- Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces. 15.9oz total.
Kahr MK9- Pistol 22.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces. 24oz total

Id guess the PPS would be 21.4oz with a mag.

I suppose alot will depend on how the day goes that i go to the gun store.
Most likley the MK9 would have to be ordered and i wouldn't expect much of a sale price.
The Sig P290 will most likley be on order but not in any shops yet.
The PM9 should be in stock and available so id say there is a good chance i end up with that as long as there are too many hoops to jump threw to get an MK9.

consider price in a way that I could buy two or 3 orther guns for the price of a top quality one. Especialy putting the PF9 in any category of the kahrs except caliber only.

I could buy 6 small gm cars for the price of my Porsche sitting in the garage maybe not a greart comparison but certailnly one that I would hav enever considfered...:rain:

DasFriek
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I already know buds prices well as thats one of my top plans as i can get $20 transfers locally.
But to be fair i gave my local high volume shop who very well may be able to give Buds a run for their money on how many guns they sell a day. Anyhow i sent them an email asking about if they can order an MK9, How long it takes and what would be the price.
They are closed Sunday and Monday so i hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Even if i bought a PM45 id wouldnt carry it like this gun is intended. I really prefer to carry my full sized 1911 as my main carry gun. Sure a PM45 in the back pocket is one heck of a bug, But the issue is feeding it.
Now thats not to say that later i cant replace my XD SC .40 with a PM45 as my summer carry weapon.
Ive grown to accept my low income and fixed budget, But my guns and shooting hobby gets a large chunk of my money as it a passion right now.
But i can get past guns i like and go for guns i NEED.

I also wanted a 9mm in this gun since it was to be a micro sized gun the recoil would make it no fun to shoot 100's of rounds at a time at the range giving me pain in my hands.
I dont really trust the 9mm caliber much past being a Bug caliber, Granted in reality its more than able to do that job. But give me a .45 acp anyday.
Ill even live with a .40 too.

TD2K- Posts like yours give me resolve to stick to my MK9 plan. I learned a steel frame can tame a caliber and make it a blast to shoot and pain free and i did that with the Sig P238. I cant imagine shooting 100's of .380 rounds threw a P3AT and my hand not hurt and get frustrated when i have to stop shooting due to pain and not because i ran out of ammo.

Despite my wants for a steel framed 9mm, The P238 still stays in the plan C type options when everything fails as i love that gun and miss the one i had.
I just cant see paying .45acp ammo prices for tiny .380 rounds.
Again thats why i want the 9mm. But if it came down to it id live with it as i love that little Sig and it follows my muscle memory alot being configured like a 1911.

jocko- As a matter of fact i just dumped a ton of money and rebuilt my 1911 from the ground up including pins and springs and used all high end machined replacement parts from Wilson,Baer and Brown. The only original parts from my gun was the frame/slide and barrel.
Its at the refinisher now getting parkerized and then KG Gunkote in satin black. I shot the gun 50 rounds as a function test and it shoots like what id expect a $2500 Wilson would.

So i do see your point about quality, Thats why i wanted one of the Sigs or Kahr's. And i ruled out the PF9 and PT709 and the ton of small .380's
I wanted 1 gun that was worth owning and taking pride in.

Id still like one of those DiamondBack .380's as it looks so cool and reportably pretty well made. But thats on a back burner as one of those guns id like to eventually get. But have no real need for. I have to justify buying any gun as i cant afford to feed all of them and a gun sitting in my possession not getting used is useless imo.

pm9az
11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Just a few ideas for consideration:

Post your general location, there may be forum members nearby that could pm you and meet up at a range to let you try some of the different models.

It sounds like your heart leans towards the metal frames. I really like my PM9, but it's not always a bad thing to go with your heart.

What about reloading? If you shoot enough, the savings pays for the equipment fairly quickly. It is about the same price to shoot reloaded 45ACP as factory 9mm practice ammo, and cheaper than most factory SD/HD ammo. Then a 1911/PM45 pairing might work for you.

DasFriek
11-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I live close to Columbus, Ohio but 20 miles south of it in Mount Sterling where we have the DNR outdoor range thats 3 miles from my house. But i go to NASR mostly in the winter for indoor shooting.

Ive thought about reloading but really dont have the space to donate for it.
another thing is i look at guns and shooting 2 ways.
First is ccw which i plan to do the rest of my life.
Second is shooting as a hobby, And my hobbies change alot. Thats why i have to justify any gun purchase so i dont dump alot of money into something and then get bored with it and move on. Im about there with my .22lr Benchrest setup as i dont find it fun like i used too. But im not selling it off until i know for sure im done with style of shooting and gun.

I know some of you may or may not understand about the metal frame issue.
Im not your normal ccw guy, I carry my all steel 5" 1911 80% of the year and only carry my subcompact .40 when hiding the big gun is to hard or too hot.
granted you don't see polymer 1911's much, But i could get a smaller one and one with a lighter frame.
Part of it is i like to carry the gun i like to shoot, So liking the gun in how in handles at the range becomes even more important to me than it would most people.

Bawanna
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I totally understand your desire for a steel framed gun especially the MK9. I too carry a 1911 about 98% of the time so weight isn't an issue to me and I'm the total opposite in the size wise scale also.
I found the PM45 an improvement over my steel K40 both of which reside on my ankle. The weight difference there is helpful although even the K40 could often times go unnoticed for long periods of time. The other plus to me is my 1911 mags fit the PM 45 so I got all the same bullets, kind of nice.
I'd go the MK9, you'll like it.

DasFriek
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
So the PM45 will take 1911 mags? If so thats really a great thing to keep in mind in the future. It may be feasible at some point to replace my XD SC .40 with a PM45 but ill worry about that later.
I can definitely see why a steel framed gun wouldn't be the best bet on the ankle. I never carry there but if i did it would be the lightest and smallest gun i could get that was effective caliber wise. Id say a PM45 could easily be an ankle gun.

Id like to say this gun will be used as a bug alot, And at first i know ill carry it that way.
Ill just have to find another pocket for my spare 1911 mag.
But my main reason for the gun is as a pocket gun and in my rear pocket it will have more than enough room in a holster. I did it and still do at times with a PPS 9mm and its alot larger than the PM series.
But i hardly ever carry a bug gun in my pocket as a main weapon unless i know its gonna be for a short time.
I think the MK9 is at most 4oz's heavier than the PPS9 ive rear pocket carried and im used to have a spare 1911 mag back there or a Hi Cap mag for my XD.
So i doubt ill notice any weight at all.

If i was gonna carry it IWB id go with the PM no doubt. Maybe later i can look seriously at replacing my XD SC .40 with a PM45 as .40 ammo isn't hardly cheaper than .45 at all anymore.

My third reason is a great handling range gun that eats cheap 9mm ammo.

jlottmc
11-09-2010, 06:32 AM
That MK9 sounds like a winner then. If it is available, then jump on it, if not jump on the PM9 and don't feel bad about it. These tupperware guns are more durable than people give them credit for, but yes I too get the steel frame, do a little mining on this forum, and you'll see what I mean.

TD2K
11-09-2010, 06:34 AM
TD2K- Posts like yours give me resolve to stick to my MK9 plan. I learned a steel frame can tame a caliber and make it a blast to shoot and pain free and i did that with the Sig P238. I cant imagine shooting 100's of .380 rounds threw a P3AT and my hand not hurt and get frustrated when i have to stop shooting due to pain and not because i ran out of ammo.

I have a bit of a "bum" wrist due to a car crash, and I was afraid that it would wear out quickly when shooting. However, I can shoot 250-300 rounds with my MK9 during a range trip with no pain. It's great.

Besides, if I start thinking the MK9 has some recoil, I simply fire a couple of rounds through my Judge Public Defender and then my 9 feels like butter. :D

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Thats really my plan, get the MK9 if its somewhat easy to obtain.
Meaning i can order it from Buds and pay a $20 local transfer fee, Or order it threw my local high volume shop who i buy from alot and know a certain salesman well and see if i cant get a good deal that way.
If those options get too expensive like say Buds MK9 has night sights and is $75 more id just go with a PM9.
I have no issues with polymer past the point i just prefer a steel frame.
The extra weight helps recoil, Which isn't an issue with the PM9 anyhow. But the steel just feels more sturdy and like an Heirloom you should always keep.

Ive pretty much ruled out the Sig P290 even if it come out in time unless it is sold at $425 which is very possible. But i really doubt it will be on the shelves in time. And im way too impatient to be on a waiting list of any kind.

I still love the Sig P238 but its price has jumped so much most models cost as much as a PM9 and while its a quality built gun, Its no better than the Kahr.

Ive mentioned the PPS 9mm i sold my mom but i still borrow it and shoot it from time to time. Its a borderline back pocket carry but i can do it with a half holster that covers the outside of the gun and has a flap over the top. It looks like a large wallet in my jeans. But at the range it is no fun at all.
The recoil doesn't hurt, But it has alot of muzzle flip for a 9mm.
The trigger out right sucks and i can not get used to it.
Im alot less accurate with it for some reason. Even over my XD SC .40 which i have to really concentrate with to shoot it well. But im twice as good with the .40

Ive always heard how the PM9 was a graceful shooter and it handles recoil that alot of ladies actually like. Not meaning anything against them, But most ladies don't like alot of recoil and especially dislike muzzle flip.

I gotta admit a few of you fine folks have me jonesing for a PM45 also.
But it would mess up my carry rotation to a point i dont know what would happen.
I just wrote a wall of text about the PM45 and how it would affect me, But it comes down to this. "I need a small high quality 9mm i can use as a bug and still have a blast at the range with"
Then sometime later i may add a CW45 to keep capacity up but its size is smaller than a 1911 and alot lighter. And a better option than my XD SC .40 which is an ok gun, Its just not special.

TD2K
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I want to get an MK40 in the near future. It's the same size as my MK9 so I can use the same holsters, and it's only a couple of ounces heavier.

I also want a PM45.

Bawanna
11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I want to get an MK40 in the near future. It's the same size as my MK9 so I can use the same holsters, and it's only a couple of ounces heavier.

I also want a PM45.

I'd put the PM45 ahead on the want list over the 40. To me the 40 is a little dragon. It can be tamed but she's a fire breather.
If your wrist are marginal I suspect you won't like it much but I admire your spirit in wanting them.

Go for it.

jlottmc
11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Yup, you done it now. You got the bug. Worst part is around here we're enablers.

TD2K
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I plan on renting both the PM40 and MK40 first to see how they handle before I make my final decision. I kinda expect the MK40 to be rough, so we'll see.

jocko
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
I plan on renting both the PM40 and MK40 first to see how they handle before I make my final decision. I kinda expect the MK40 to be rough, so we'll see.

u will find the MK40 far far more pleasent to shoot the the PM40, both exactly the same size but a noticeable weight difference. Expect reoil out of both,but expect more for sure out of the PM40..

Probably a wise decis9on to try both if you can do that.. Who knows you might change your mind and go to the 9mm instead..

TD2K
11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I already have the MK9.

looking for 40 and 45 next

Bawanna
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I missed that on the first post being MK40, had PM40 stuck in my head. That would for sure be better but still a fire breather. Maybe Wynn will get his wish and they'll come out with a MK45 or a K45.
Just when I think I got all I need that will be added to the list.

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Id take the PM45 over an MK40 myself.

I just heard back from my local store and they will beat Buds price.
But add in tax it will be about even. Even with the $20 transfer fee its a dead heat except it will take 3-4 weeks to get the gun in as they have to order it.

Don,
The price would run $649.99 and delivery is approx. 3-4 weeks

Todd Vance
President
Vance Outdoors, Inc.
(614) 471-7000
(614) 471-2134 fax

Its great having a local store that often beats buds at prices.
But seeing id have a long wait time ill just go with buds.
Or i may go put a deposit down and have them order it in ahead of time.

Bawanna
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Id take the PM45 over an MK40 myself.

I just heard back from my local store and they will beat Buds price.
But add in tax it will be about even. Even with the $20 transfer fee its a dead heat except it will take 3-4 weeks to get the gun in as they have to order it.

Its great having a local store that often beats buds at prices.
But seeing id have a long wait time ill just go with buds.
Or i may go put a deposit down and have them order it in ahead of time.

I certainly try to support the locals whenever I can. With the internet now its easy and foolish not to check prices and compare. Gotta be tough now days, gotta be competitive. Course I see lots of people in shops that don't do their homework, they don't realize that they just paid way way too much. I guess if they don't know, theres no harm. If they are happy.

TD2K
11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
I, too, wish they'd make an MK45

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
This shop is so busy you have to take numbers to be waited on buy 1 of the 10 salesmen all behind one long counter.
They just started selling online also.
Vance Outdoors Inc. - Ammunition, Firearms, Optics, Archery & Hunting, Boating & Marine (http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/)
http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf

Look at the ammo prices in the flier as im pretty sure you can order them online. If their online sales take off that will surpass buds quickly.

sonofodin
11-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I just wrote a rant about Vances in another sub forum. I reccomend the Powder Room or anyplace else than supporting those people.

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I just wrote a rant about Vances in another sub forum. I reccomend the Powder Room or anyplace else than supporting those people.

Ill be looking that up and see whats up, They always been good to me.
But lets not discuss it here ill post in your thread since thats where the issue is.

sonofodin
11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
General > Frustrating gun store experience (http://kahrtalk.com/general-discussion/4506-frustrating-gun-store-experience.html)

dusty10
11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
DasFriek, Not to muddy the waters any but, several weeks ago I put an all black PM45 on my wish list at Bud's and really forgot all about it. In the meantime I wanted a pocket gun and picked up a PM9 at the LGS. Broke in the PM9 fine with no issues and carry it in pocket or IWB depending on mood and what I have to do that day. Well. wouldn't you know it Bud's emails me a PM45 is there if I want it. I jumped on that all black PM45 for 697 including shipping and picked it up today. I set the PM9 on top of the PM45 and the 45 really is about the same size as the 9 except for the grip being a little less than 1/2" longer. If you can pocket carry a PPS then you can pocket carry the PM45 and you have same bullet, same mag as your primary 1911. I studied all the measurements and specs on these guns but to see a side by side comparison is sometimes very hard to do. The Mk9 is same size except weight as the PM9. Anyhow, that's my .02 and my observations looking at both guns at the same time. Regards, Dusty

Bawanna
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Good for you Dusty, I'm so happy for you. Happy new gun to you. Visualize me singing happy new gun to you. That's a horrible vision isn't it?

Dasfriek would lose his ability to shoot cheap 9mm which was part of his plan. The more I think on it I think his plan is solid, and actually a mirror image of what you've just gone thru. Now you have a PM9 to take the cheap 9mm stuff and the 45 when times are good or 45 is on hand.

I see (did you guys know I have a crystal ball too?) Dasfriek with a shiney new PM45 in the future too. Oh crap, I just got a try again signal. Well it's 98% PM45 in the future.

The waters are muddy but I still think his plan is sound.

You get night sights on that black beauty, 697, hmm I'm thinking not but for what it's worth I like the standard sights alot and still have them on my K40. Standard is good for me till the XS's get hung.

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
You can bet ive kicked the PM45 idea around in my head until im almost sick of thinking about guns, Almost...
And in my normal thinking it would sound absurd that id spend that much on a 9mm when i could have a .45 for almost the same price and size.
The only other .45 i like more than the PM45 is the Colt New Agent and thats an easy $1k
But the odd thing is i wouldn't replace my full sized 1911 with it, Id replace my XD SC .40
And thats a smart move in my mind as .40 ammo hardly is any cheaper than .45 now, Maybe $1-$2 a box cheaper.

Bawanna45cal- What you don't know is my love for 1911's large and small. So that could be a reason why i never never end up with a PM45.

Here is how my setup must go:
Large full sized main carry gun must be .45acp or larger.
Mid sized compact for lite IWB duty during the summer, .40 or .45 calibers only.
Micro pocket gun and can be 9mm and up.

But that set of rules has a pecking order, You cant throw a micro .45 into the mix with a .40 cal SC for IWB carry. The point is id never carry the .40 ever again.
So not only am i not using that gun anymore, I also need to replace it and spend more money. So im also looking at the future.

At this point i need a 9mm to cheaply shoot at the range more than anything, Secondly a micro bug is my second role of the gun.
And since i wont carry a 9mm as my middle lite weight main gun my only choice left is to buy a high quality 9mm bug.

In doing it this way i wont need to set my .40 to the side and have it take up space and never be used as if i went and bought a PM45.
And tbh im rather stuck with the MK9 as there are very few 9mm guns in that size and quality range worth owning.
Sure i could buy a PM45 for the middle gun and then a PT709 or PF9 but neither are as solid of a gun as the Kahr line is.

No matter how much i want the PM45 the more i cant justify buying it at this time. Now i could possibly sell my XD SC off and pick up a CW45 for the role of my middle gun and that would work out well.
But maybe by that time i can have enough money to own a MK9 and a PM45 and the 1911.

Dont ask me how ive justified a MK9 over a PM45 and i wont even carry a 9mm as a main gun is beyond me. Its hard to find a small 9mm that is pocketable and high quality and easy to shoot at the range. Larger guns have much more selection tho.

I hope you guys can even follow my train of thought here as im getting confused at times myself.

dusty10
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
No night sights on it for that price. :( I really only like the front sight glowing so no sense in paying for package deal night sights. After break in etc. I'll invest in a front sight and paint out the back factory stripe. Personal preference. Kinda weird I know but we all have our thing.

I was under the impression that Das Friek might not be wanting to sport shoot in the future since he mentioned a slight boredom with his current benchrest .22 Can't get any cheaper than a .22 for range fun.:D Hence my recommend for the all purpose carry PM45.

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Your right i don't have any interest in sport shooting competition wise, One reason is cost.
Plus im not so much of a sociable person, Most times i like to do things at my own pace and when i want.
Maybe my post before your last one will explain more. I know its messed up, But the MK9 is like a key fitting a single lock out of 1000 possible other locks.
I pick my guns very wisely with alot of thought and many times with the future in mind also.

I do get bored with my .22's at times, My shotty can be fun once in a while but i NEED my ccw guns. And that means i HAVE TO practice and if i have to i want to enjoy it also.
Honestly a PM45 could replace my 1911 easily with only a slight loss in capacity but i could carry a spare mag like i already do.
But nothing shoots like my 1911 does, And nothing carry's like it either.

Ill be honest i do have a slight quirk in my plan, That is i dont really care much for the XD SC .40 all that much. Its a great gun until you shoot it as the .40 snappy-ness is pretty harsh in this smallish gun. Ive become better with it, But im no where as fast at getting back on target like i can with my 1911. But i can only do one thing at a time when so much cash is involved. So maybe summer time i can replace it with either a PM45 or a Colt New Agent which i love also.

dusty10
11-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Sounds like we have a winner in the MK9. :D I can hardly wait to see the range report and accompanying pics. :)

DasFriek
11-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I bought a new camera this year just for gun photo's as my old one wasnt cutting it anymore. Range report should be good since at the first of the year ill have to use an indoor range so i can shoot at 21' and not 75' my local DNR outdoor range requires since you target much be against the backstop.
Shooting new pistols at 75' is a pita.

DasFriek
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Well guys i made a commitment.
A short story on how i got there tho.
I had just built a benchrest 22lr setup with a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and custom stock and all the goodies. But even before the cold set in here in Ohio i had become bored, I guess only so many 1/2" groups and under at 50 yards got boring.
I also had a tricked out Ruger MKIII 22/45 which was seeing very little use.
Anyhow i got the urge to trade in both guns and picked up a RIA 3.5" 1911 in .45acp as ive been wanting a small 1911.

After the deal was made the stores owner then informs me he doesn't buy guns, He just trades so all the excess cash i had coming could only be used as store credit. Wouldn't have been upsetting had i known this prior to making the deal, Not after i signed the forms.

But i got a wise idea, I had him apply my remaining amount for him to order in my MK9 to be picked up at the first of the year. He says he should have it in a week and will call once its in and i can inspect it.

So i ended up being happy even tho i wasn't so sure i was gonna be not walking out with a gun and cash together.
And now im pretty well committed to purchasing the MK9 so no turning back now. :)

Bawanna
11-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Well guys i made a commitment.
A short story on how i got there tho.
I had just built a benchrest 22lr setup with a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and custom stock and all the goodies. But even before the cold set in here in Ohio i had become bored, I guess only so many 1/2" groups and under at 50 yards got boring.
I also had a tricked out Ruger MKIII 22/45 which was seeing very little use.
Anyhow i got the urge to trade in both guns and picked up a RIA 3.5" 1911 in .45acp as ive been wanting a small 1911.

After the deal was made the stores owner then informs me he doesn't buy guns, He just trades so all the excess cash i had coming could only be used as store credit. Wouldn't have been upsetting had i known this prior to making the deal, Not after i signed the forms.

But i got a wise idea, I had him apply my remaining amount for him to order in my MK9 to be picked up at the first of the year. He says he should have it in a week and will call once its in and i can inspect it.

So i ended up being happy even tho i wasn't so sure i was gonna be not walking out with a gun and cash together.
And now im pretty well committed to purchasing the MK9 so no turning back now. :)

Well this sounds like a happy ending to me. You got a nice 1911 for now and by first of the year you'll have it all dialed in and happy and then you can work on the new MK9. I would not have been happy to hear he didn't buy after the fact, sound's fishey to me but as long as you got what you want the money don't matter? Hope he did your right pricewise on the MK too.
Happy new rock to you!

DasFriek
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I normally wear a full sized 1911 most of the year, But i been wanting an Officers sized one even tho i didn't need it.
I don't think its anything fishy, I think its just a small business that cant afford money going out very much. The family that the owner is associated with has alot of respect in the community so i don't think anything was up, Just an odd store policy.
Plus i did tell them i was wanting to trade the guns for one they had so he may have given more in trade since he thought no cash would exchange hands.

Price on the MK is $650 which is $7 cheaper than buds and i have no wait or transfer fees but still get to pay tax's.

GOOFA
11-18-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't recall anyone mentioning this, but the MK9 is much more easier to shoot and quite a bit more accurate than the PM9. I have both, and my MK9 outshoots my PM9.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5081909891_d13ee0dc91_d.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5050689300_e7a0c5cb59_d.jpg

DasFriek
11-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Well they did mention easier to shoot slightly recoil wise, Bit no accuracy claims.
Id think that would come down to individual guns as i cant see what a steel frame would make it more accurate.
Im not doubting your claims with your guns, I just have a hard time thinking MK's are out-shooting PM's.
But thats why im here is to learn.
That grip tape looks good on there. I use it alot on my guns when i need more grip.
Im waiting to shoot this new RIA Officers 1911 before putting any on the front strap.

GOOFA
11-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Well they did mention easier to shoot slightly recoil wise, Bit no accuracy claims.
Id think that would come down to individual guns as i cant see what a steel frame would make it more accurate.
Im not doubting your claims with your guns, I just have a hard time thinking MK's are out-shooting PM's.

The MK9 is 8.1 oz. heavier over its polymer twin the PM9. 8.1 ounces =
Less recoil/muzzle flip = increased accuracy. You need to ask those who have both pistols.

DasFriek
11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
IMO it would only affect follow up shots and not the initial shot.
But i do agree even without shooting it the gun should be softer shooting and less muzzle flip. Thats part of the reason i went with the steel frame since this will be used alot at the range as well as 50% of its time in my back pocket.

DasFriek
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Oh, Its not Christmas yet? Dang! I bought my new MK9 a month too early.....dang.

I couldn't take it when i went into my local shop ive started using to see if in fact they could get one ordered before Christmas, But low and behold there she was.

It just so happened i had my XD SC .40 in my trunk as ill take a gun im considering trading with me when i go to shops just in case i find something i must have.
And i must have today.
BTW if someone is looking for some .40 cal ammo i have 500 rounds i could list in the classifieds so pm me if you would be interested in a good deal and ill post it in the classifieds so we can talk then.

Id post pics, But seriously don't we know what they look like by now?
But i picked up a few hundred rounds of FMJ in AE and WWB and a box of Gold Dot 124gr +P short barrel version hp's.
Then i went home and really just did a field strip and cleaned and relubed, Most it didn't really need but its a habit and good idea anyhow.

I slathered on the Slide Glide as i love the stuff and hand cycled a few mags of FMJ's and HP's as im not sure when ill get to shoot her, Im waiting on my Gov. 1911 to come back from refinishing so i can make a full day of gun shooting. But i may not be able to wait.
I gotta say this thing has the BEST darn DAO trigger i ever felt even tho its long. I always do trigger jobs on my guns, But not this one. I think i could only make it worse rather than better. Its that good.
My only upgrades may be the wooden grips, But ill try the polymer ones for a while as wood isn't always the best in some cases.

I put it in my back pocket where it will spend most of its life and its a great fit.
Now i have to start on a new holster as the one i made for my Sig P238 i sold is a tad too small. Plus i just bought a bunch of new holster leather so why not.

Soon as i shoot her and break her in ill report back my findings. But the way the gun hand cycles and ammo points i cant see it having any issues. Ill post a pic of the holster i make for it also.

Now what sux is i gotta pick out another Christmas gun, Sounds easy but its not. All my guns have to be justified and have a specific use and thats not easy to do.
But i hear you cant ever have to many 1911's so who knows......