PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Question

koishoes
11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I noticed my extractor is pretty stiff on my K9. I mean I can manipulate it with my finger but barely, it's pretty tight. I just detail stripped it and cleaned the channel, and yes, I have the pin that sits against the extractor sitting properly. Is this just a Kahr thing (I know on Glocks they're a little looser) because they're such tight fitting guns?

Just curious.
:D

jocko
11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Its a kahr thing, no need to take that area apart either, just spray right behind the extractor and u will keep it clean. they are tight but that is kahr, so don't compare theirs to another brand. Just shoot it like you stole it ... I have not had that area apart on my K9 which has over 5000 rounds through it and my PM9 which has over 30,000 rounds through it, I clean it like above. Why fook with something that is workingproperly. Keep it clean and a drop of oil right behind the extractor is allthat isneed to keep that area clean and lubed.. Super gun the K9, Kahrs bread and butter gun no doubt in the steel version.

koishoes
11-07-2010, 10:05 AM
That's what I figured, I just thought I'd ask.
This thing is so tight it's as if it was machined from a single block of steel or something. So nice. :p

jocko
11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
no doubt more rounds out of the gun might even smooth that extractor area up some to. If it ain't broke , don't fix it....

koishoes
11-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, even though I brought this gun used (a week ago :) ) the born on date is July of 2009, and it looks like it's barely been fired. I getting to thinking it's possible the guy never really broke it in.
Picking up a DeSantis Cozy Partner in a bit, might have to take it out and run some more rounds through it too.
Thanks!

jocko
11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
it is new to speak and more than likely ur right. some people buy a kahr and love everything about them except the looooong trigger which really upsets the accuracy that they seem to think they should be getting, so there for they peddle it..

koishoes
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
BTW-

As it's stated in the manual (and as it is with a lot of guns), the extractor is supposed to serve as a loaded chamber indicator. Mine...well mine really doesn't. it's the same with a round chambered as empty.

jocko
11-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Mine is a poor excuse for a LCI to. Forget about that ad hype b.s.

Bawanna
11-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't think the extractor acts like a loaded chamber indicator. That fella yesterday that couldn't get his replacement gun in California said that was a requirement the Kahr didnt have as well as the mag safety.
The new compliant one is suppose to have this feature. Don't matter to me, I never utilize that feature on my guns that have it anyhow.

sonofodin
11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
The Extractor functions as a minimalistic LCI on my CW45. The Diffirence is hard to notice. Besides, It's always loaded whether it is or aint :D

jlottmc
11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Well said. I never trusted them, and like Thor there says, it's always loaded. ( I just hope he has Norse blood coursing through those veins.)

MikeyKahr
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
My PM9 extractor does work as an LCI when loaded (always) but as has been said before, I don't trust it completely or use it as such.

koishoes
11-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I didn't plan on using it as an LCI but rather it was an issue of me just being sure things are functioning properly. I'm thinking it might be a bit tighter than it's supposed to though, as it doesn't return to fully flat against the slide and although it throws brass, if i have the slide off the frame it doesn't hold a casing against the breech face. I might just shoot some photos to Eion and see what he thinks.