PDA

View Full Version : ha.. my rear sight flew off?!

mity2
11-08-2010, 04:42 PM
shot about 4 mags. I reloaded, pointed the weapon out, only to find my rear sight was no more.
Took me 45min to find it!
Its this common with T-9???

http://i51.tinypic.com/10ro46c.jpg

Bawanna
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Usually they are tighter than heck and near impossible to move. That looks like an aftermarket sight with a allen screw to tighten it down.
If it were mine I'd losen the allen screw, and take a punch and stipple the bottom of the sight or carefully pean the top edge of the dovetail so the sight fits snugger. Then locktite the screw after you've determined it's in the right spot.

Don't recall ever seeing this on a kahr before.

mity2
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Well, I guess there is first time for a everything...:(
At least I found the rear sight after it flew away.
I'm gonna try the dimple idea tomorrow.

Bawanna
11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I have a Puma 45 Colt lever rifle that was shooting off a tad. The front sight looked like a better surface to tap over just a bit and it was off center. I put it in a padded vise very carefully since I love this rifle alot.
Got a punch, and a light hammer, crossed my fingers and gave it the slightest tap, hardly even a hit and the sight flew into oblivion. Took several days off and on looking to find it. No wonder it wasn't real consistant.
The stippling on the sight and a little tap on the dovetail really made a difference. Shes' solid now.
You have the advantage of that set screw also. Get it in the right spot and a little lock tite and I suspect it won't fly off no more.

sonofodin
11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Bummer hoss. I dont have much faith in sights that arent practicaly nailed in.

jocko
11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
almost look sto me like it is a novak rear sight. I think the t series comes with a novak sight on them and if so I would think that set screw in the middle of the sight is standard for that novak sight. I think I would rkather work with a sight lie that, that is kinda loosey goosey more than one that needs a punch or pusher to move it. If you do waht Bawanna says, ur issue will be solved but yet still able to be moved. I would recomment that if u locktite that cet screw to use the purple locktight and not the blue and for sure not the red. Most gun shops that sell thread locker, for guns and sights etc willbe the purple kind, which will hold but will still be easy to remove..

jeep45238
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Usually they are tighter than heck and near impossible to move. That looks like an aftermarket sight with a allen screw to tighten it down.
If it were mine I'd losen the allen screw, and take a punch and stipple the bottom of the sight or carefully pean the top edge of the dovetail so the sight fits snugger. Then locktite the screw after you've determined it's in the right spot.

Happened on my T40, same thing.

That's a stock sight. On the T series, the low profiles Novak sights can be easily drifted with one's finger after loosening the screw.

After reinstalling it, torqueing the screw snugly, and then doing the same after the next 5 or so mags, I never had another issue.

My M&P's rear sight is held in the same way, and I never had a problem with it.

mity2
11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
well, I fixed it. I did used blue locktight as thats what I had, and will redo it with purple when I get'em.
I used dremel with these round tip sander to dimple the spot ever so little(figured if there is something for set screw to hang on to - provided that the set screw don't back out - it shouldn't move at all...

I myself prefer sight thats so tight, you'll need sight pusher to adjust. But set screw is fine too, except that the my M&P9, and CBOB are both set screwed in, but they are so tightly fitted, i really don't see the point of set screw to be honest

dannyeller
02-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Had the same issue with my T9. First time out the Novak night sight (comes with the T9-Novak) flew off. I put it back on and tightened it down several times but it just wouldn't stay tight. I sent it back to Kahr as the sight appeared to be very loose in the dovetail. I think that either the sight was not the right size or the dove tail was bigger than spec. Kahr fixed it and it didn't come out on another range day after about 200+ rds were fired. but I did have an issue with the chamber being out of round at the 8-9 o'clock position. Brass had a funky swell down most of the side of the case. Far different than the swell you sometimes get with hot loads at the base of the feed ramp. After some work on my part Kahr fitted a new barrel.

dannyeller
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
well, I fixed it. I did used blue locktight as thats what I had, and will redo it with purple when I get'em.
I used dremel with these round tip sander to dimple the spot ever so little(figured if there is something for set screw to hang on to - provided that the set screw don't back out - it shouldn't move at all...

I myself prefer sight thats so tight, you'll need sight pusher to adjust. But set screw is fine too, except that the my M&P9, and CBOB are both set screwed in, but they are so tightly fitted, i really don't see the point of set screw to be honest

=====

The set screw is so you can make adjustments for windage without having to pull out the brass hammer.

mity2
02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
=====

The set screw is so you can make adjustments for windage without having to pull out the brass hammer.

Im aware that.
But on my M&P and CBOB, they are so tightly fitted, I still need the sight pusher to drift the rear sight, even after removing the allen screw completely out

stacy4422
11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Just got my T9 and when I went to shoot it the same thing happen. My guess is the set screw was not tight. Will have rang report soon

muggsy
12-05-2012, 06:48 AM
This is another prime example why people should learn to shoot a defensive weapon instinctively. Point and shoot. When things go wrong they can go very wrong in a hurry. And why is it that parts that fly off of guns are so difficult to find? Things that make you want to go hmmmm.

mity2
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
This is another prime example why people should learn to shoot a defensive weapon instinctively. Point and shoot. When things go wrong they can go very wrong in a hurry.

I agree with your point on the instinctive shooting.
But the fact remains that the rear sight from near $1000 gun should NOT just fall off.

I understand that the Kahr is small company and all, and evey company push out duds now and then, but untightend rear sight set screw? ...

And why is it that parts that fly off of guns are so difficult to find? Things that make you want to go hmmmm

Because some of us shoots at outside range? Where there are grass, dirt and empty shells everywhere, and if I remenber that day correctly, it had some snow on the ground as well?

I don't understand why you find it so hard to imagine a small black parts flew off of the gun, ended up on ground with full of clutter is going to be so hard to find?