PDA

View Full Version : Newby Question on Trigger Pull - CW9

GMack_1
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey Gents..., just got my okay from the moderator to post a new thread..., kind of cool. BTW, you can also see my posts at Glock's thing, 1911's thing, and mainly at "INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community"..., @ dot com.

Just wondering if there was a trigger conversion for my CW9 to make it more "Glock-like"..., or "Kimber-1911-like"..., after all, I bought the Kahr because it felt "right" in my hand (single stack..., god it looks and feels perfect.

Feedback appreciated.

hdawson
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
If it feels perfect, why change it? My CW9 is perfect and I can't imagine changing anything. Trigger is great. Long, smooth and with a clean break.

bossbird
10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I second that (hdawson). I would not want anyone touching the trigger on my PM9. It is one of the, if not the, best DAO triggers on the market. Butter smooth.

mr surveyor
10-27-2009, 09:34 PM
hhhmmmm...my CW9 is also perfect, particularly for the purpose for which I bought it. A very well made, flat, easily concealable double action handgun that I feel 100% safe in carrying in the proper mode.... holstered (trigger covered) with one in the pipe and a full magazine. The DA trigger is the smoothest I have ever felt, and gives the necessary safety of a perfect breaking weight and pull length. For what it's worth, my Kimber is also perfect for the purpose for which I bought it. A very well made, flat, easily concealable (Stainless Compact) SINGLE ACTION handgun that I feel 100% safe in carrying in the proper mode .... holstered (trigger covered) with one in the pipe, and a full magazine, AND THE THUMB SAFETY ENGAGED! The trigger is the smoothest I have ever felt, and with the thumb safety and grip safety the gun is totally safe to carry, although the trigger breaks at about 2.2 pounds. I don't think I would want my DAO pistol to go bang at 2.2 pounds.

We're talking about two totally different platforms here.... Double Action Kahr, and Single Action 1911.

Now, I'm sure that my Glock is also perfect in every way... and I'm sure there's a Glock out there somewhere that may be mine some day, although I have yet to develop Glockitis. But, even without personal ownership experience, I see no real comparison between the Kahr CW9 and Glock platform.

I have yet to handle a compact DAO pistol with comparitive manual of arms to the CW9 that can exhibit the same quality of trigger I've experienced with my CW9.

What is there to change?

surv

jocko
10-28-2009, 08:24 AM
glock like, kimber like, no there is not. your glock has a trtigger safety and its striker system if over 505 precocked where as the kahr striker system is proably less than 20% precocked. the reason you have a loooooong trigger on the kahrs also is that you are actualy cocking the striker system all the way, where as the glock just is sitting there waiting for you to touch off the trigger. The kimber, thats single action, apples and oragnes. can either of those fit in ur front pocket??/NO

I shoot my G19 far better than my PM9 and that is due tothe loooong trigger system. kahr trigger pull is 3/8" on every gun except their K9 which is then 1/2". My bet is that the glock trigger pull is problably less than a 1/4" pull to ignite a round. BIG DIFFERENCE.

If you can shoot a double action revolver then shooting a kahr is a breeze. they are wha tthey are a very close up defense gun that will not let you down but indeed does take some rounds down range to get proficient with them. The cw9 is IMO one hellof a great platform also. Not to small, not to large, still light, good sights and top quality also..

give the gun some time to get used to u also. A good gun has to have a good shooter behind it.

dfloresjr
10-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Gmack, one of the selling points of the Kahr is the double action trigger, which as many have said is similar to (but nicer than) a revolver. One issue I had, being used to my Glocks, is that I would ride the trigger on the Kahr after shooting to find the striker reset. That resulted in failing to reset, which is not good. Make sure you release the trigger all the way after firing. This is a habit I am still working on to make sure I don't screw up when it is absolutely necessary. Your best solution? Fire enough rounds through your Kahr so that proper operation will be a habit. You WILL learn to love it.

jocko
10-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Gmack, one of the selling points of the Kahr is the double action trigger, which as many have said is similar to (but nicer than) a revolver. One issue I had, being used to my Glocks, is that I would ride the trigger on the Kahr after shooting to find the striker reset. That resulted in failing to reset, which is not good. Make sure you release the trigger all the way after firing. This is a habit I am still working on to make sure I don't screw up when it is absolutely necessary. Your best solution? Fire enough rounds through your Kahr so that proper operation will be a habit. You WILL learn to love it.

become very natural, almost like breathing u don't evne realize you are letting up on the trigger at all.

O'Dell
10-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Leave the trigger alone. It's almost perfect for a DA trigger, at least mine is. Shoot it awhile and you grow to love the smooth pull and clean break.

ripley16
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Leave the trigger alone. It's almost perfect for a DA trigger, at least mine is. Shoot it awhile and you grow to love the smooth pull and clean break.

A liitle off topic, but...

Why would a Kahr trigger be called DA? It only works one time, if cocked and will not recock itself with another pull. Isn't that the definition of a SA trigger, ala 1911A1? It works only if the slide is racked or the gun is fired.

Other manufactureres make striker fired guns that do have restrike ability... that is what I'd call a DA. The Kahr is a SA striker. Am I right or wrong?

bossbird
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I think you are correct. Kahr calls it a trigger cocking DAO which is very close to your wording "SA striker". Whatever one wants to call it............it is very smooth. I continue to call it a DAO but you are right that it is not a DAO in the traditional sense.

jocko
11-05-2009, 06:15 AM
A liitle off topic, but...

Why would a Kahr trigger be called DA? It only works one time, if cocked and will not recock itself with another pull. Isn't that the definition of a SA trigger, ala 1911A1? It works only if the slide is racked or the gun is fired.

Other manufactureres make striker fired guns that do have restrike ability... that is what I'd call a DA. The Kahr is a SA striker. Am I right or wrong?

glocks are the same way and they are called DA. U are cocking the hammer/sriker once so in essence is is like a DA but not like a revolver, indeed.

Some have the ability to continue to **** but if that is aplus for some so be it. Personaly if my gun misfires, I train the tap,rack and bang ting. I certainly don't wantto continue pulling the trigger on a dead round "because I think it should have went bang" get rid of that round and go to a new round. Just my two cents. seems also that most double action guns that can be recocked have a hammer and no striker system. Not alibiing for kahr or glock either or Smith M &P either but to me it was a moot point....

mr.72
11-05-2009, 06:51 AM
"Single Action" means the trigger only does one "single" action: release whatever it is that is cocked to ignite the primer (hammer, striker, etc.). There are some SA striker-fired pistols (such as a Taurus 709), but most striker-fired pistols are DA.

"Double Action" means the trigger does two "double" actions: 1) **** whatever it is that must be cocked back to ignite the primer (hammer, striker, etc.), and 2) release it. On a Kahr, along with Glock and probably many other striker-fired pistols, the striker is partially-cocked by the cycling of the action and must be cocked the rest of the way by the trigger, thus the second action, making it double-action.

My S&W Sigma is also DAO, striker-fired, but unlike a Kahr it fully cocks the striker with the trigger alone like a traditional DAO action. However, the trigger will not "re-****" the striker after it has already been released because the trigger/sear mechanism is reset by the pistol action. So DA does not really mean you can re-strike. There are some DAO or DA/SA pistols that do have this so-called "second-strike capability".

I guess I would call a revolver "triple action" since the trigger also rotates the cylinder. :)

stevehome
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
If you have any trigger work done, send it back to the factory. They know what they are doing and do it well! Just my opinion.

henryher
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I have owned a Beretta, SW and now my CW9. The trigger pull of the CW9 took some getting used to. I got used to it by dry firing and staying on target while dry firing. I did this for weeks. Just pointing at a target and dry firing. Now I love the CW9 and actually like the trigger pull on it better than the S&W. The long trigger pull is just part of the Kahr system I doubt that it can be changed.