PDA

View Full Version : Wood Grip Panels & Stock Screws

cobalt402
11-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Do the wood grip panels for the K9 that the Kahr Shop offers work w/ the stock screws that are on the rubber grip panels, or, is a differant set of grip screws required. If so, do they include new screws w/ new panels if you buy them or do they have to be acquired separately?

c4

xRUSTYx
11-18-2010, 09:32 AM
not sure for the K9, but I just ordered the MK9 set (and 6 screws) about 3-4 days ago. After reading on here, I needed longer grip screws, I called in, and the parts guy was familiar with the order and said he would make sure I got the correct length screws. They are all of $1.10 each, so if you have ordered it already, call in and get them with.

ripley16
11-18-2010, 10:52 AM
My K9 took the same screws, wood or rubber or CT laser.

Bawanna
11-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Its worth noting that 1911 grip screws are the correct thread size for Kahrs also. Easy to shorten as necessary and needed. If you find yourself ever hunting for grip screws locally you can always find 1911's but might have a harder time finding Kahr so grab the 1911's and your in business.
I used the same screws for rubber and wood grips on my K40 but I made the grips fit the screws rather than the screw fit the grip, so not really relevant.

Warhammer
11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
The original screws for my K40 worked just fine when I got my wood grips. However, I liked the look of hex head screws better, so I got some of those. (I also like that they don't get all buggered up and you don't have to worry about a screwdrive slipping and scrathcing you grips.) I got screws for 1911 "slim" grips, and they worked fine with no modification.

cobalt402
11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll go ahead and order them and get extra screws while I'm at it. It's always better to have some of those things lying around as extras, juat in case.

c4

dusty10
11-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Order s.s. screws if your going to carry this K9 IWB. My stock black screws worked fine with the wood panels but started to rust while carrying IWB in Texas heat.

cobalt402
11-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Good point dusty10, I'll do that.

c4

Bawanna
11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Two quick things- Don't get over zealous tightening those allen head type grip screws. They are great and as mentioned they don't get buggered up but you can also bust or crack a brand new set of pretty wood handles if you overtighten. I use a allen head bit in a screwdriver so I can feel what I'm doing or use the long end of an allen wrench in the screw and tighten with the short arm so you don't have much leverage.

Second- we could sure use a little of that Texas heat here in the NW, it's getting chilly up here already. Possible snow sunday or monday. I used to love snow, 4 wheeling, not so much anymore. Joints act like a gosh darn barometer or something. The phrase I can feel it in me bones has a more profound effect.

Mr.Kahr
02-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Slim grip 1911 screws work on the K9...? wow...goin' to get some then, which brand works, Ed Brown , Wilson Combat etc..?

mad1ben2
02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
1911 slim grip screws should all be the same... I've used Fusion's hex head slims... you can buy from their website (fusionfirearms.com I think) or go to ebay... they have grips, screws, and bushing on there all the time. Good luck

whgraham
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I bought a '96 Nickel K9 today, ordered some wood panels, and now am search for torx grip screws. Great to know that 1911 screws work. Thanks!

Bawanna
04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
1911 slim grip screws should all be the same... I've used Fusion's hex head slims... you can buy from their website (fusionfirearms.com I think) or go to ebay... they have grips, screws, and bushing on there all the time. Good luck

Hey thanks much for posting that Fusionfirearms link. I just went there and got a couple grip/bushing sets, some slim line bushing sets and a safety plunger tube. Messed up a couple bushing when I removed some slim line bushings to make standard grips. Will be all better now.

Now hopefully I won't have to use my duffle bag WWII 1911 as a grip model anymore. I have a AO cut up frame that I'll be able to use for a model without fear of a missed file stroke or scratch.

I could have easily filled a large shipping box there with wants, lots of cools stuff there. Can't believe how many main spring housings they had. Huge variety.

rvbgtr
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Bawanna

I have a new set of black slim Fusion bushings if you want them just pm me your mailing address.

Kahrson
04-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Screws from my K9 Elite worked fine. However I had to send the first set of wood grips back to Kahr as the holes in the grips were slightly off center from the holes in the frame. I was afraid of cross threading the screws.

The second set they sent were fine. Kahr was great to deal with on this issue as well. No hassles.

Bawanna
04-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Good deal, I remember you sending those back and wondered if the replacement set worked ok.

Apparently the first set must have been off just a bit.

Glad your fixed up.

No pictures?

Kahrson
04-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Good deal, I remember you sending those back and wondered if the replacement set worked ok.

Apparently the first set must have been off just a bit.

Glad your fixed up.

No pictures?
Pics will be forthcoming. Was sort of waiting untill I order up a stainless steel guide rod for it. Imo when you buy an "Elite" a stainless steel guide rod should already be on the gun but Kahr likes to make their money on the backside too I guess. :(

The second set of grips they sent were much lighter in color than the first set. I would have preferred the darker set but I wasn't going to wait any longer.

Just finally got the chance to shoot it last weekend. 250 rounds and not a hiccup first time out. Impressive for a new gun I thought. I let my son shoot it and he had a ftf but that was because he didn't use the slide release to chamber the first round.
Any way I will post more about the range report when I get some pics up...:)