PDA

View Full Version : Considering a K40

Goldstar225
11-20-2010, 08:02 AM
As the thread title says, I considering purchasing a K40 and need solid feed back. I presently have a CW40 that is unreliable. Because there are many features od the Kahr design that Ilike very much I may be willing to give Kahr a second chance with the K40, hoping for better results. The problem I have with the CW40 is:

- It has been unreliable. 500 rounds, two trips back to Kahr and the problem is not resolved.
-- The primary problem has been the slide lock randomly engaging with rounds still in the magazine. (no, the slide lock spring has never been damaged)
-- After the second trip back to the factory, rounds began nose diving when loading a fresh magazine (using the slide lock to chamber a round per Kahr's instructions) in additionto the problem with the slide lock.

It's not just me, I've had two other experienced shooters try the gun with the same results.

The question I have is, can I expect better performance from a K40 than I obtained from the CW40?

jocko
11-20-2010, 09:48 AM
u should get the same performance in both models. the cw40 is not a cheap ass low grade kahr. internals will be the same in the K model as the cw models. Not sure I would jump into another kahr model until u feel good about the CW40.

Bawanna
11-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree, I'd get the CW running before I took on another. I have no doubt that given the chance Kahr will make that right. I'm surprised they haven't already.
Since the CW is a 40 your already familiar with that round, so no issues with the bang that some including myself sometimes find not the best although my last trip with my K40 it wasn't unpleasant at all.
Course if your faith in the CW is dwindling and you just want a K40 just cause you want one, I'll back ya on that one all the way. I like the K series alot, course I like the CW and the P and T and the PM so maybe I'm not focused enough.
Good luck and don't give up on that CW.

jocko
11-20-2010, 10:27 AM
port it and then the bang thing will be just a slight "prick".

Bawanna
11-20-2010, 10:32 AM
port it and then the bang thing will be just a slight "prick".

And it looks waaaaaay cool too.

Warhammer
11-20-2010, 11:04 AM
It seems that the lion's share of complaints with Kahr handguns seem to be with the poly models. I that respect, the CW40 and the K40 are absolutely NOT the same gun. My K40 has been 100% reliable since I bought it in 1996. No nosediving, no slide lock issues, no FTF's or FTE's... Just a really solid, reliable, accurate pistol. I really like Kahrs, and I love their all-steel models, but I don't have a lot of confidence in their poly guns. That's just my personal opinion on the issue, so please don't take offense if you love poly Kahrs. I agree with jocko that you SHOULD get the same performance from a K40 and a CW40, however the preponderance of evidence (admittedly anecdotal & internet-based) suggests that you just don't. I would certainly give an all steel K model a chance before you write off Kahrs altogether.

jocko
11-20-2010, 12:43 PM
probably one has to figure alos that for every K40 sold, I would bet 20 P40 or CW40 are sold. The steel is certainly one super gun but lacks in sales compared to the polymer versions. If one notices about every new gun offered by any gun maker is of polymer version. There is a big reason for that. course no doubt it costs far more tomake a polymer version than a all steel version, but it is all about weight, weight, weight. I love my K9, never faultered once, that being said my 24/7 is my PM9 which has never faltered in over 30,000 rounds.

eltee
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I have 4 all steel kahr's. No gun related problems with these 4. Probably 700 - 800 rounds through the K40. I think the steel guns are more forgiving of limp wristing, improper grip, etc. I did bevel the bottom/back of the slide release on some of my kahr's to prevent my thumb from accidently engaging it during recoil.

steve666
11-22-2010, 05:21 AM
I love my K40. It is my regular carry piece.

JohnR
11-22-2010, 08:06 AM
... If one notices about every new gun offered by any gun maker is of polymer version. There is a big reason for that. course no doubt it costs far more tomake a polymer version than a all steel version...
Interesting, I've heard (purely anecdotal uninformed speculation on the 'net) that it's the other way around, and that poly guns are cheaper to make and therefore more profitable to sell.

jocko
11-22-2010, 08:47 AM
:banplease:
Interesting, I've heard (purely anecdotal uninformed speculation on the 'net) that it's the other way around, and that poly guns are cheaper to make and therefore more profitable to sell.

ur dead right, I meant to state it that way. thanks for the correction, befoRE BAWANNA caught it and banned me for posting false stuff.

JohnR
11-22-2010, 09:11 AM
:D

I'm still going for a K9, despite the popularity of plastic.

jocko
11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
:D

I'm still going for a K9, despite the popularity of plastic.

decision. I own a K9 also and it is just one super well made gun, that for me goes bang every time to. That being said if doesn't ride in my front pocket woth a tinkers damn but my PM9 does, so it is my 24/7 go to gun. My K9 is about like my G19, a great range and home gun.:third:

eyegore
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I love my K40. It is my regular carry piece.
Ditto!! but I added Crimson Trace Laser grips.