PDA

View Full Version : Another new Florida guy

Ghostsoldier
10-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Hello, all....been a member at MachineGunBooks.com (http://www.machinegunbooks.com), and just recently found your forum. I own a semi-auto Thompson M1A1 SBR that I use for WW2 reenacting, and will soon be in the market for a '27/28 version for some 1930's era reenacting that I am getting into.

I thought it would be nice to join a forum that actually showcases the brand and has input from owners...I hope I can be useful around here in the future! :)
Rob
(PS: Here's my Tommy...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/My%20Impression%20stuff/My%20Weapons/IM000955.jpg
And me using it...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/P5252468.jpg

Dietrich
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Man,that Tommy is waay cool.Glad you found us. Welcome and enjoy yourself.

Ghostsoldier
10-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Dietrich...:)
Rob

10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Wow!

Nice TG! Should we call you Sgt Saunders? :D

Although not terribly new, I have been too busy to get on this forum lthe last few weeks. Work is interupting my social life!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for the great pics1

10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Meant to ask....., Do you shoot blanks when re-enacting? Do you have a blank adapter?

Kahrdog
10-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Welcome Ghostsoldier! I had one of those in Viet Nam for a short while. 45 Ammo was hard to come by in our unit. Only the MP's got it and they didn't share. They're a blast to shoot. I hope you enjoy it and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Kahrdog

NavJAG06
10-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the forum. My father was in the Army Dental Corps in WWII and was in the Leyte Gulf invasion. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a .45 1911 but picked up a Tommy Gun and qualified as expert with it. He raved about how secure he felt with one.

zena
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Very cool gun. How does it feel to shoot? Welcome to the forum!

Ghostsoldier
10-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome! :D

1911: Yeah, I use .45 ACP blanks, and adapted my SBR by tapping the barrel with a 1/2" x 20tpi tap, and then drilled out several Allen head set screws in different sizes so I can "dial in" the gun, depending on what blanks I use (Swanson being the hottest). ;)

Zena: Like Kahrdog said, it's a blast to shoot! It gets a bit heavy humping it in the field for 8-plus hours at a time (with ammo and gear), but I wouldn't trade it for the world! :)
Rob

packinaglock
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Welcome from Florida also

Bawanna
10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Wow, if Tom Hanks ever needs a stand in for another great war movie your qualified. Shouldn't those lads behind you be saluting or are they in such awe of your Tommy they are dumbfounded?
I have one very similar with the longer barrel, big brother out here don't allow the short barrel without a special license. I keep it on my desk here at work. Like you said darn heavy to hump but awesome to look at and fondle a 100 times a day and a blast to shoot. How did ole Hanks make it look so easy to pack around, you'd a thought it was made of plastic. First time I picked mine up I thought you gotta be kiddin me. I've had dads at the range want to know if their kid can shoot it. I tell I'm all for it if they can pick it up. If they can't I just help em, gotta get the kids in the game.
Good times for sure.:w00t:

luka
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
To me the Best War movies come from the 2nd World War, but have you noticed you are seeing less and less of the old John Wayne, Etc, Etc, movies. I watch them anytime I can and buy all the DVD's I can on the WW2. It is Great to see people like Ghostsoldier that are keeping it alive.

Keep Up the Great Work

Ghostsoldier
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks, guys...my group and I try to keep the memory of the WW2 vets alive, as best we can, by educating the younger folk. :)

Bawanna...the boys in the background aren't dumbfounded because they know me too well...the one with the BAR is my oldest son, and I lost my 'dumbfounding power' with him a long time ago! :D
Rob

Bawanna
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Ghostsoldier,
I truely feel your pain. I have a couple sons myself at or above that age group and am painfully aware that I long ago lost my dumbfounding capabilities also. I still dazzle them with brilliance once in awhile although that's a pretty rare occurence anymore either. Still think they oughta salute you even if it's just respect for the Thompson. For what it's worth I'm still dumbfounded. Great photo and a great way to enlighten the young folks about history. Thanks for clarifying on the BAR also, I thought it was but just wasn't 100 percent.
bawanna:cool: