PDA

View Full Version : my new kahr

mr. bggs
11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
hey guys, new here and just wanted to say hello, i had a kahr pm 40 when they first came out and let me say, it was not the best gun I've ever shot! recoil was terrible and the frame was so weak that i could literally bend it with two fingers LIGHTLY pushing on it. sold it and never looked back. lately I've been feeling the itch that i felt when i first saw the kahr pistols and just couldn't resist. i went to my local gunshow and made up my mind to buy a kahr mk or k9. i looked all over our 800+ table show and there were no steel frame kahrs to be found. this didn't surprise me because in this area(NC) i have rarely seen a steel frame kahr at any shops or shows. if ever. but on the second day, that's right i said second day(i actually paid to go two days in a row just to look, i found a k40 with night sights new for 785 plus tax. not sure if that's tip top of the pricing scale but it felt a bit high. after an hour of pondering i said "hell with it" and bought it. i am in love! it feels solid as a rock and not too heavy to carry either. i bought two holsters and a box of powerball ammo to go in it. get home and am just elated to have it finally in my possession. :D it fits in all of my holsters perfectly and the ammo was on sale so i feel like the gun gods were shining down on me and then it happened. im breaking it down to see the insides and i notice the top of the barrel hood has a strange indent in it. it seems like it should not be there. it doesn't seem to affect function at all so i guess i can live with it until it gives me a reason not to. then im examining the grip closer and i see that on the front strap and a little on the top of the back strap it appears to be rusting?? not sure if it is some kind of corrosion or rust. it looks like really light freckling which from all of my blued guns is usually a sign of bad things to come as far as my finish is concerned. i was just wondering if any of you guys have has any of these issues and if so, do you know how to fix it without mailing the gun off.(im not a fan of shipping my gun off to a company and live without it for an undetermined amount of time) thanks in advance and im glad to be here. I've loved the looks of kahrs since day one and im just praying that this is not fortuitous of the future im going to have with this gun and this company. thanks brad:cool:

dusty10
11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Welcome to Kahrtalk Mr. Bggs. I have an all black K9. Some pics of your question areas would be helpful. I'm sure a more knowledgeable member will chime in soon on your questions though. Again, welcome, Dusty

Bawanna
11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
I echo Mr. Dusty's welcome and agree some of the more knowlegable members will be of help. Most of them get sent to bed fairly early so be patient.

From your description, I'd say your just talking cosmetics, a discoloration or early stages of indeed rust. The nice thing about stainless is you can clean it up usually. A scotch brite pad or some fine steel wool might get the job done.

Some one here just recently, (who was that?) had this same issue and ended up just polishing the frame.

No company is perfect and occasionally any one will get a gripe or two but my experience with Kahr has been extremely good in all respects. Fast, and no issues. I agree in that I don't like to send guns off for any reason but if it ever comes to that you shouldn't have anything bad to report.

Pictures of these spots would be nice, ole Dusty thinks of everything.

wyntrout
11-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Be careful if you use steel wool. It can leave microscopic bits of embedded steel behind and induce rust. Try polish instead.

Wynn:)

mr. bggs
11-23-2010, 03:20 PM
:)thanks guys. i havent figure out how to post pics but am working on it. it got it from a dealer who sells exclusively davidons firearms with lifetime warranties. dont know if it is covered or not but will look into it before i try any home gunsmithing remedies. i appreciate you guys helping me out and the warm welcome. i have alot of guns and the kahr (k and mk series) have always cought my eye as perfect fireams for concealed carry. hope fully it will shoot good and clean up easy. thanks again guys and pics awill be up as soon as i can figure out how to post them.

mr. bggs
11-23-2010, 03:31 PM
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/tsman2006/kahr-5.jpg

mr. bggs
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/tsman2006/kahr-4.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/tsman2006/kahr-3.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/tsman2006/kahr-2.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/tsman2006/kahr-1.jpg

mr. bggs
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
the pics are of very poor quality but you can see the discoloration around the bottom of the front strap and top of backstrap. hope these help. any info would be appreciated! thanks again guys.

Bawanna
11-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I assume you've tried some cleaning solvent or perhaps a little Flitz. It doesn't look deep, just a discoloration.

dusty10
11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Just curious. Is the K40 you bought New Old Stock or recently manufactured as in model year 2010?

Bawanna
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
It's brand new!:eek: I didn't catch that, I thought it was used but the price should have told me it was new.

Might be a whole new ballgame. See if kahr would give it a quick touch up with the bead blaster?

Lookerk40
11-26-2010, 06:15 AM
I have just recently bought another k40. The first I bought was 3 years ago. I Sold it to a friend. Both of these weapons feed factory ammo well. The only down side of this that you cant re-use the cases to reload. It absolutely destroys the cases.. after firing the mouth of the case looks like a D. I contacted Kahr and they told me that was normal... I feel this is a small issue. I dont take this one to the range to target shoot with anyway. The service department at Kahr seems to be top notch I have been able talk to a real person each time I have called...

mr. bggs
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
hey guys, sorry havent been round a comp in a few days, holidays and all. but i talked to the guy who sold it to me and he said it should never have left his shop that way and is offering to get me a replacement on dec4. of course i have to meet him at the next gun show to get it but thats just an excuse to have a little fun on a saturday. so i guess he's looking after me on this issue. i did try some balistol and rigorous wiping with some lint free cloths but its the weirdest thing, in the pics it looks like rust, but in actuality it seems more like pitting. there are individual black spots that you can actually fel when you rub them with your fingers. either way, the problem seems to be resolved. thanks for all your input. this damn kahr is my new favorite gun and as long as the newER one doesnt havr this problem and works reliably, i'll continue my love affair with her.:D thanks again guys. love the site!

Obiwan
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I've had a K40 for a few years. GREAT gun! It's my "go out to dinner with wife and can't carry my H&K" gun. The grip is slightly small for me, but not excessively so. It shoots a half inch high at 7 yards with 155gr/1195fps loads. Perfect at what would be a long SD shot. Recoil is less than expected. It's a little heavy, but that's what makes it good to shoot. Easy to carry in Thunderwear or DeSantis Cozy Partner. It's at the upper size/weight end for pocket carry. I've done it and it is do-able. It has been with me for years and would be among my last to go. :cool:

mr. bggs
11-29-2010, 05:24 PM
thanks for all of the replies. man i do love this gun! it is the perfect size as far as i am concerned and if i cant do it with 6-40 cals and a reload then it dont need to be done! hope this will finally put an end to my concealed carry search!