PDA

View Full Version : Grips for MK9

KMA
10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
This is my first time here. I got my MK9 Elite 2003 for a few days ago. I like the pistol, but I do not like the factory grips at all. I call Kahr Arms and asked if they had rubber grips to it, and the answer was “no”. I wonder if someone here knows where I can get rubber grips to the MK9. I also wonder how effective the checkered wood grips from Kahr are and how thicker they are. Thank in advance :)

lunde
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
I want the opposite. I love the thin grips on the MK9, and wish that there were comparable grips for the K9.

KMA
10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I want the opposite. I love the thin grips on the MK9, and wish that there were comparable grips for the K9.

I like the integrated thin grips too, that is the reason because I asked how thick the wood grips are. What I dislike is that after a while, the hands’ perspiration makes holding the MK9 like holding an ice cube.

scrapperid
10-29-2009, 10:30 PM
KMA, I have the factory checkered wood on my mk40 and I like them. They are pretty well executed, (machine cut of course) They are rounded in the middle and slightly thicker there, running slightly over 1.1" at the screws. I can really feel the difference in my hand. I have trouble with recoil hitting the base knuckle of my thumb after several rounds, and this helps hold the gun better. I also apply some padding to that knuckle before shooting more than a couple mags. This problem is worse because I also have a pm9 that of course hits the same place. The thickness isn't a lot more, but can't tell you what origional grips were. Doesn't have much effect on pocket carry the most important thing for me. Hope this helps.
Wayne
Ps the gun is tons purtier with the wood. LOL

dirksterg30
11-09-2009, 11:31 AM
This is my first time here. I got my MK9 Elite 2003 for a few days ago. I like the pistol, but I do not like the factory grips at all. I call Kahr Arms and asked if they had rubber grips to it, and the answer was “no”. I wonder if someone here knows where I can get rubber grips to the MK9. I also wonder how effective the checkered wood grips from Kahr are and how thicker they are. Thank in advance :)

From what I understand, the MK9 used to be produced with rubber grips. For some reason, Kahr changed the grip material to plastic, and at the same time made slight changes to the frame so the rubber grips will not work on a gun that did not come with them.

As for wood grips, I found a person selling them on EBay for a number of guns, and I bought a set of grips. Very well executed, with checkering on the sides and backstrap. This was a few years ago, and I haven't been able to locate the seller again. Here are the grips I purchased:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/MK9/MK9woodgrips.jpg

You could also send the plastic grips to David Bowie, Dan Burwell etc. to have them textured. I've thought about doing that myself, but I think I'll stick with the wood grips for now.

photoshooter
11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I like those grips very much with the Kahr logo.
They look like the walnut grips sold here. (http://www.grips4u.net/product_info.php?products_id=255) I was going to get a set but decided to go with the pau ferro wood grips from the Kahr Shop online. Except for the logo and wood species they appear to be the same.

KMA
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
I have heard the same before, that the old MK9’s used to have rubber grips. I guess that the reason because they changed it was the cost; I do not know, that was just speculations from my side. Anyhow, the MK9 is may daily CC, and for that reason I take it with me to the range every week. Unfortunately, after a few mags holding the little MK9 feels like holding an ice cube, which I really hate. I wish I could get rubber grips. I might try the checkered wood grips and see if they work for me.

powpierre
11-11-2009, 07:59 AM
didnt mind factory plastic grips...put a ct laser grip on, they are rubber, & i like the feel better

dirksterg30
11-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I like those grips very much with the Kahr logo.
They look like the walnut grips sold here. (http://www.grips4u.net/product_info.php?products_id=255) I was going to get a set but decided to go with the pau ferro wood grips from the Kahr Shop online. Except for the logo and wood species they appear to be the same.

That's them. Thanks for the link. I might pick up another set.

jggonzalez
11-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I've heard that the reason they changed from rubber to plastic was because clothing would hang up on the rubber when the gun was worn in an IWB rig.

firstluff
11-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I like the integrated thin grips too, that is the reason because I asked how thick the wood grips are. What I dislike is that after a while, the hands’ perspiration makes holding the MK9 like holding an ice cube.
I use Agrip on my MK40, and like it a lot. Eliminates slipperiness from perspiration, and should insulate you from the icy feeling without adding much thickness. I was a bit apprehensive about its durability, but it sticks, and sticks, and sticks... Good stuff.

http://www.brookstactical.com/