PDA

View Full Version : Want to love my PM9

Kahrfire
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I have a PM9 (serial VCxxxx) that I bought used about 6 months ago. It had had about 50 rounds through according to the seller who I trust (who sold it to change to a pocket .380), and I bought it for carry. I decided to treat it as if it were new with a thorough break-in. I had trouble immediately with double feeds, but after a thorough strip and clean, that resolved.
The next 200 rounds were ok, but with about 1 FTF each mag.
Then it got worse.
Couldn't get through 1 mag without FTF's. This is with a variety of ammo from WWB to JHP's. Didn't matter.
Then mags started dropping spontaneously.
Got a new recoil assembly and mag catch/spring from Kahr.
Mags don't drop, but still FTF. Not limp-wristing etc (had other shooters watch and shoot, including the RO)
It's now back at Kahr.

I really want to love this gun. Perfect size/weight for caliber, and I love that smooth trigger, but I'm worried. If it doesn't come back perfect, (and how many rounds will that take to assure?) what do I do with it then? I couldn't in good conscience sell it with known malfunctions, but as much as I like the trigger, it's not really a range or competition gun.

I hope it comes back right.

Kahrfire
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Has anyone had a PM9 that had multiple issues that was eventually make reliable for carry?

jocko
10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Has anyone had a PM9 that had multiple issues that was eventually make reliable for carry?

mag issue , seems to have been solved. the FTF will be address while at kahr, . I am sure u hve the outter recoil springon correctly also??? but recheck to be sure. Quite possably your gun is going to need a few hundred more rounds to get right. Looks like you have done everything right,s o give kahr a chance to make it right for you.

Keep the rails greased up somewhat,my bet they will polish the feed ramp and chamber when u get it back to... be very sure you ar eit accidently hitting the magazine release button either. This can happen.

Yours would notbe the frist gun of any mfg-er to hav eto go back, a shame but ithappens. It will get aslot closer look now being it is in the hands of the tech people.

Kahrfire
10-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Yours would notbe the frist gun of any mfg-er to hav eto go back

I have had other pistols go back, but not a carry gun. I'm wondering if anyone has had success in having a malfunctioning gun (particularly a PM9) be fixed to the point of carrying reliability (at least 500 rounds mixed ammo with no malfunctions)

jocko
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
My K9 and PM9 has never malfunctioned and combined have 29,500 rounds through both of them.

paul0660
10-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Jocko, what does that have to do with it? We have dozens of posts about how many Kahrs run 100% out of the box. I am sure some of those posts come straight from Massachusetts, but I do know personally of Kahrs, both polymer and steel, that are 100% reliable. The problem is that some have problems. Some get fixed, and some don't. As for Kahrfire's question about ultimate reliability, in my opinion the answer is no. In my experience, some start to have problems AFTER the 200 round break in. They make some damn fine pistols (like my K9), and some lemons, like my CW9. After a decent try with their customer service, which is very good, at some point an owner should cut bait.

CDW
10-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I've got a Glock 23 and a Glock 27. If I were to compare either of my Glocks against any other stock Glocks of the same model I doubt I could tell the difference without looking at the SN's. With my PM40, I've noticed that there is still a lot of evidence of the machining process on the slide and barrel. I would bet that if mine was placed side by side with a couple other PM40s the machine tool marks would be different enough that I could pick mine out from the group. My point with all of this is that it seems to me like Glock has a very mature, very automated manufacturing process, whereas the Kahrs seem to have a much more individualized feel. They really need to look at ways to reduce the variation in their processes. That's the only explanation I can think of for why some of us get good guns out of the box (like mine thankfully) and some of us get lemons (like Kahrfire unfortunately). I've been thinking really hard about getting a .45 ACP lately. The PM45 is super cool, but it is a much bigger risk, not to mention more $$$'s, when compared to a G30 or G36. The market is there for Kahr if they could just get their act together consistently.

Parasite
10-29-2009, 09:22 PM
I have had other pistols go back, but not a carry gun. I'm wondering if anyone has had success in having a malfunctioning gun (particularly a PM9) be fixed to the point of carrying reliability (at least 500 rounds mixed ammo with no malfunctions)

I have. Had an issue with my PM9 failing to return to battery. Kahr took care of it quickly, and it has been 100% ever since, not one malfunction. (probably about 800+ rounds have passed since repair - i don't really keep a close round count)

Regarding your apprehension about the weapon itself, it is understandable. But I implore you to not tie too much extra baggage to the situation - it's just a machine, and if it isn't working right, something needs to be adjusted or replaced. Kahr should help you with that, they're pretty going at taking care of problems (no comment on the prevention of said problems).

And worse case scenario, if the time comes, and you've lost patience for it, then just let it go. I've seen many share the same sentiment of 'how could I live with myself if I were to sell it?' That viewpoint always confused me...as long as you're honest with the new owner, what is there to worry about? Would you feel guilt if you sold a vehicle with balding tires? Or with bad steering linkages? Either of those issues could easily result in a nasty situation.

I hope you don't take any offense, as I said, I can understand your uneasiness, all I wish to do is encourage others to consider another viewpoint. I hope it runs well for you when it comes home!

jocko
10-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Jocko, what does that have to do with it? We have dozens of posts about how many Kahrs run 100% out of the box. I am sure some of those posts come straight from Massachusetts, but I do know personally of Kahrs, both polymer and steel, that are 100% reliable. The problem is that some have problems. Some get fixed, and some don't. As for Kahrfire's question about ultimate reliability, in my opinion the answer is no. In my experience, some start to have problems AFTER the 200 round break in. They make some damn fine pistols (like my K9), and some lemons, like my CW9. After a decent try with their customer service, which is very good, at some point an owner should cut bait.

no point in his question but because a gun ha sto go back once for an issue to me when it gets back should not make it less reliable. To the contrare, I would think it would hve even gotten alittle more TLC when it went back for an issue to make sure it is dead nuts right this time. u got a lemon with your cw9, I have read your posts other places. It happens and when it happens to the person involved, it is not pleasant. It is surely not even close to indicative of kahrs in general. No doubt and I have stated this many times on other forums, If you loose faith in a product, be it a gun, tv, car or what ever, peddle it and move on to what pleases you. I tried to love my Para Carry 9 but it just was not reliable, But alot of Para owners swear by their guns, so WTF, I just got a lemon and gave Para 3 times to make it right before I was ever right enough to sell, but at that time I had lost alot of faith in that gun.

Would be nice if you could prove your theory of Kahr (mass) posting postive posts on kahrs, otherwise ur speculating..........

I feel when a person buys a semi of any brand, that he should be prepared to maybe have to send it back at least once , Most never have an issue but if you truly bought the product because you wanted and liked all the things about it, then give the factory one chance to make it right for you. After that it is a whole new ball game

500KV
10-30-2009, 07:06 AM

I had a few bumps in the road with my Cw45, light primer strikes and FTF, which were promptly addressed by Kahr and the gun is now 100%.
My PM9, on the other hand, has been 100% from day one.

One thing that I'm firmly convinced of is the more you shoot them the better they get.
A few glitches at first but after ~700 rounds through both guns they have become totally reliable.
Of course, major problems should be handled by Kahr but
I would encourage anyone with FTF, FTE, etc. issues to just shoot the hell out of them.
They will probably cure themselves.

Hope you get your issues resolved soon Kahrfire.

Kahrfire
10-30-2009, 06:24 PM
My K9 and PM9 has never malfunctioned and combined have 29,500 rounds through both of them.

Is this a trade proposal?;)

Seriously, I thank all for the insight. It seems like there is at least a reasonable chance it may be salvaged.

.as long as you're honest with the new owner, what is there to worry about? Would you feel guilt if you sold a vehicle with balding tires? Or with bad steering linkages? Either of those issues could easily result in a nasty situation.

I absolutely would be honest, but I think getting 50 cents on the dollar in that situation would be optimistic.

I feel when a person buys a semi of any brand, that he should be prepared to maybe have to send it back at least once

Are you serious? These devices are meant to be used in life-death situations. Reliability is paramount.

Wayne's World
11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
1200 rounds with 0 (zero) problems. The PM9 I own, is the best weapon I have had the pleasure to carry.

jocko
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
1200 rounds with 0 (zero) problems. The PM9 I own, is the best weapon I have had the pleasure to carry.

is also kahrs biggest seller of their complete gun line...:cheer2::cheer2:

border bandit32
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
is also kahrs biggest seller of their complete gun line...:cheer2::cheer2:

So the kahr PM9 is there best seller?? No wonder I had hell finding one! Where did you find that information, just curious

jocko
11-02-2009, 03:49 PM
a person of interest inside Kahr told me that after I ask him which was the biggest seller the PM9 or the cw9. I just got back from shooting a 100 rounds out of my PM9 50 wwb 115 fmj and 50 wwb 147 truncated bullet with zero issues. Along with that shoot was 50 rounds of PMC 380 out of my P380 and I emptied the magazine of 90 corbon HP before I left so as to start with a fresh magazine rounds. I shoot the darn P380 better than my PM9--go figure. Just can't find any 380 ammo around this area. Down to my last 100 cci blazer brass and half box of corbon 90 hp..

Kahrfire
11-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Just for the record, I never questioned the reliability of anyone else's PM9 (or any other Kahr for that matter.)
I do not disparage the make or model.
I don't want to know how many thousand rounds you have through yours without a malf; it just makes me jealous. Posting that yours is perfect doesn't make mine better.

jocko
11-03-2009, 02:26 AM
maybe some people do want to know how good some owners kahrs are working also. I have read other forums posts where questions were ask about the longevity of a certain firearm . No doubt posting of mine is not going to make yours work better, but to not post my success with my 3 kahrs is also IMO hindering my right of free speech also.

You can also just avoid reading any of my posts and that would eliminate any possble jealousy on your part, for my intentions were never that in the first place. I also thought the members of this forum was also here to TRY to help another owner who is having issues. Lets not take out our anger out on the owners of good working kahrs just because yours is not doing the same. to me defeats the purpose of this formum.

Kahrfire
11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
maybe some people do want to know how good some owners kahrs are working also. I have read other forums posts where questions were ask about the longevity of a certain firearm . No doubt posting of mine is not going to make yours work better, but to not post my success with my 3 kahrs is also IMO hindering my right of free speech also.

So post it in an appropriate thread, maybe title it "Post your round counts without malfunctions." Would make a good thread.

BTW you PM'd me for additional details on the malfunctions, for reasons that still remain mysterious, to which I took the time to respond. I am still in the dark.

My comment about all your perfect PM9s was meant tongue in cheek. I should have added a smilie.

zena
11-04-2009, 04:02 AM
So post it in an appropriate thread, maybe title it "Post your round counts without malfunctions." Would make a good thread.

BTW you PM'd me for additional details on the malfunctions, for reasons that still remain mysterious, to which I took the time to respond. I am still in the dark.

My comment about all your perfect PM9s was meant tongue in cheek. I should have added a smilie.

Kahrfire, I heard your tongue in cheek. It was mentioned in another post how much smilies can help express a tone of voice. If you read many of my posts, I "average" using a few every time I'm in here. I hope to see more choices in the future! :bump2: And I hope your gun gets straightened out soon.

Kahrfire
11-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Got the PM9 back today. Didn't have time to take it to the range, but I know they test fired it, because they didn't clean it!

Hopefully will get to test it out this weekend. I will post updates.