PDA

View Full Version : rail mounts for Tommygun

harleypower69
11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I want to set my tommygun up with rail on forend for a light and on top of receiver for a red dot. Have any members done this or do you know of any products adaptable to this task, please?

Chris

kyletx1911
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
i will look into it gotta send mine back broken extractor

Bawanna
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I can barely pick mine up as it is, I'm not sure I'd want to add anymore weight.
Don't seem natural to me either to be honest. The light rail would be relatively easy to fabricate with a horizontal forend, just attach a rail to it and you'd be there. The dot sight will definitely take a little more engineering. Never heard of this before.

harleypower69
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree the Thompson is heavy but then again so is my FAL. I really appreciate the engineering that went into this platform. A proven design with a proven round. It eats every hollowpoint I feed it which is just phenomenal. I have the vertical fore end currently. My plan is installing a Veridian green laser light combo that I own and has proven very robust when mounted on my .45ACP pistol. Therefore I need a mount inline with the bore. I am going to talk with the gunsmith team at a local "can" mfg tomorrow. I think drilling and mounting a piece of rail forward of the bolt should be easy for that kind of shop. Fabricating a piece of rail to join the tapered barrel will be the challenge. I intend to shorten the stock to decrease (LOP) length of pull. Then the Cutts will be removed and a flash hider or possibly a "can" installed (not sure if I want the expense and hassle of the "can"). I am going to drag this weapon kicking and screaming into the 21st century with modern sighting technology. I know many purists will object but it is my piece and I intend to increase fit and functionality for the planned role of home defense carbine. I will keep you all posted.

Much Respect,

Chris

Bawanna
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I bought a Boyds replacement buttstock for mine and shortened it over 1 1/2"s it was just way too long. I did the same on the forend. I can do vertical or horizontal.

A rail on the barrel would be far better for what your planning to do. As you say a little effort to match the barrel taper will be required.
Theres certainly more than enough solid material to mount a sight if you want to do the drill and tap for a sight.

Your absolutely correct in that it is yours and your discretion to do whatever you want to it. I'm gonna hold mine tonight and make it feel warm and welcome just as it is. For some reason I just feel like I'm standing next to some important people whenever I hold that thing.

Keep us posted and send some pictures as you progress.

Embalmer
12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Person can do what they want to their tommy. Not like he said he was doing it to an original, that would probably spur a Lynch mob lol. I'm curious to see how it comes out. Me personally like my 1928 with wwii military look