PDA

View Full Version : Single day Break in marathon (p380)

jbcon
10-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, I finally got to the range yesterday and shot my P380 for the first time. I must say it was more pleasant to shoot than I expected, based on comments by owners of the other tiny (mouse) guns I've talked to. I think it’s weight helps alleviate any of the comments I have heard by shooters of the Keltec and Ruger .380 Auto’s.

My only issue was getting it to chamber the first three rounds. Since I was using cheap (Wal-mart bulk) Winchester FMJ ammo, with the flat headed bullet, I suspect the problem was ammo related rather than any problem with the gun. After I got the first couple of rounds to chamber and snapped off a clip or two all was fine.

In the end, I shot 200-rounds through the little gun and had not a one (other than before mentioned) jam the whole afternoon. Ammo in my area for the .380 is hard to find, I bought 3-100 round boxes at Wally World last week when I found it, so probably won’t shoot again until either my back-order from Cabella’s is filled or I find some more ammo locally. I have another box, but like to keep plenty around just in case. I did shoot a few rounds of Hornady Critical Defense rounds through her with no issue, since I only have a small box of these I obviously didn’t want to go through a bunch of $1 rounds if I had the cheaper Winchester.

All-in-all I am pleased. I will add though, it is a pain in the @$$ to clean such a tiny gun.

Oh yeah.... wish the sites were more adjustable. With such a short site radius, I kept finding myslef aiming at what seemed way off target to get anywhere near a good bulls-eye group, although due to being at a public range, was limited to 50 feet, which is too far in my opinion for this little gun and accuracy.

Mako
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Shot my P380 for the first time day and put 100 rounds through it bu still had problems feeding. Is 200 rounds the magic # in your opinion

jbcon
10-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I really don't know. I have read that some guns are fine others you will know if it will have problems after the first 40-50 rounds through it. I had read of a couple guys who had problems from the beginning and had to ship it to Kahr for a Polish job (see there custom shop page), and it worked fine. My "seems" fine..... I'd work through a few different types of ammo and see what happens. My problem was ammo related, other than that the gun is flawless for me.

jocko
10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I would give it 200 rounds before panicking. Kahr startes that in their manual. The gun needs to mate properly with the slide and frame etc. and normally 200 rounds will prove that out. Be patient, keep it properly lubed, make sure the recoil spring is on correctly. Then if u can, just sit there and rack the slide about 500 times as fast as u can, this helps break in without the bang thing. Ur feed ramp should be highloy polished but if it looks like it is not indeed polish that feed ramp and inside the chamber. this seems to help the most.

Mako, give it another 100 or so rounds. I am not a fan of wwb flat nose ammo, nothing wrong with wwb ammo but I prefer the fmj round nose. the flat nose always scared me in these small guns, although your one of the very few who has had any issues with the flat nose rounds.

Today, I guess one is lucky to even find 380 ammo. Our wal mart has not had any 380 ammo in over 9 months. I would buy the flat nose if itwas availalbe from wal mart formy P380.

Just be very sure u are getting a good grip on the gun also. they are small and they can and willgive some limp wristing issues. Now I am not saying that is the problem, but just keep and eye on ur grip etc...

If it doesnt straighten out in a 100 plus rounds o rmore, give kahr a call and discuss it with them. If it ain't right, they will make it right..