PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Firing Pin Impression

Chippawa
10-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I have noticed that the impression that the firing pin makes when it contacts the primer has recently changed from a round symmetrical dent to a round dent with a gouge on the side.
My gun has about 500 rounds through it and has not malfunctioned in any way.
I am fairly certain that this new impression has started recently.
I shot 100 rounds today and nearly every primer has this strange impression.

Has anyone else experienced this? If people could look at your fired casings and comment I would appreciate it.

Thank you
Chippawa

Dietrich
10-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Hi Chippawa,I went to my workshop and got the bag of shell casings from my last trip to the range. The primers had a round dent with a small gouge to the side. I haven`t had any problems at all with my PM9.I`m slightly past the 1,000 round mark.I hope this is helpful information for you.

Chippawa
10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your response. I will keep an eye on my casings on future trips to the range. I just didn't recall that gouge before. I have been reloading my own but that is not a problem. The gouge is present on both new ammo & reloads. It's probably nothing to worry about. All that said, I still can't figure out how that gouge is happening. Possibly when the casing is being ejected?????

Dietrich
10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Man,you got me. I never would have noticed it if you hadn`t brought it to my attention.Personally,I don`t think it`s anything to cause any concern but there are a lot of members that are more knowledgeable than I am.I reload too but I`ve never fired any of my reloads in my PM9.I think I will the next time I go to the range just to see what`s what.If you`re really concerned about it,e-mail the guys at Kahr and see what they have to say.Every question I`ve ever asked has been answered promptly and professionally.Nice people.

500KV
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I reload too but I`ve never fired any of my reloads in my PM9.I think I will the next time I go to the range just to see what`s what.

I've noticed the comma shaped primer indent as well.
It's apparently a Kahr thing according to info. I've seen elsewhere.
Ever noticed the indent on a primer from a Glock ? Definitely a unique signature.

Dietrich, I found that my Kahrs love hot loads. They stumble a lot with light loads.

Dietrich
10-31-2009, 02:37 AM
I've noticed the comma shaped primer indent as well.
It's apparently a Kahr thing according to info. I've seen elsewhere.
Ever noticed the indent on a primer from a Glock ? Definitely a unique signature.

Dietrich, I found that my Kahrs love hot loads. They stumble a lot with light loads.
Thanks pal, if you hadn`t told me that,I would have figured that my PM9 wouldn`t take my reloads.I`m getting 1150 to 1200 fps according to my chronograph.I`ll see how that does and experiment if I have to.

zena
10-31-2009, 03:56 AM
I haven't noticed the unusual primer marking on my brass but I'll check it out. I shoot lots of reloads through my PM9 with no problem. What recipe (powder, primers, bullets) are you guys using?

500KV
10-31-2009, 07:03 AM
I haven't noticed the unusual primer marking on my brass but I'll check it out. I shoot lots of reloads through my PM9 with no problem. What recipe (powder, primers, bullets) are you guys using?

zena, I like Montana Gold bullets but use a variety of others as well.
Also like Hodgdon HP-38 (Win.-231) for 9mm, .45acp, .40cal, etc.
There are sooo..many choices really.
My Kahrs love the higher end loads but Glocks, Sigs, Kimbers seem to shoot anything.

Dietrich
10-31-2009, 08:22 AM

I also use a lot of Montana Gold bullets,115 gr.jhp and also 124 gr.Speer Gold Dots.Assorted brass. Hodgdon Universal Clays powder and Federal small magnum pistol primers.I started out with small pistol primers but I can`t find any around here and I`ve found a good supply of the small magnums.I kept a close eye on the chronograph and got the load to where I wanted it.

Chippawa
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Man,you got me. I never would have noticed it if you hadn`t brought it to my attention.Personally,I don`t think it`s anything to cause any concern but there are a lot of members that are more knowledgeable than I am.I reload too but I`ve never fired any of my reloads in my PM9.I think I will the next time I go to the range just to see what`s what.If you`re really concerned about it,e-mail the guys at Kahr and see what they have to say.Every question I`ve ever asked has been answered promptly and professionally.Nice people.

Here is a picture of what I see on quite a few of my primers.

Chippawa
10-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I have been using Remington 115 gr FMJ,Hollow Base bullets-mainly because that was one of the only bullets I could find available in bulk, Unique powder (5 gr), and small pistol primers (whatever brand I can find-CCI & Remington). My casing are of various manufacturers. I have loaded some with the magnum primers but have not fired these yet.
Once again, I bought the magnum primers because I could not get the regular small pistol primers. These load & shoot well in my PM9. Out of approx. 300-350 loads I have had only one FTF. I suspect a faulty primer.

500KV
10-31-2009, 02:11 PM

That definitely doesn't look right.
Mine just show a light scratch where yours has a gouge.
You might want to send the pic. to Kahr for their assessment.

Chippawa
10-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I am going to talk with Kahr on Monday. The gun works fine but I agree that the imprint doesn't look right. I have never had a gun that made a firing pin imprint like this one.

zena
10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I also use a lot of Montana Gold bullets,115 gr.jhp and also 124 gr.Speer Gold Dots.Assorted brass. Hodgdon Universal Clays powder and Federal small magnum pistol primers.I started out with small pistol primers but I can`t find any around here and I`ve found a good supply of the small magnums.I kept a close eye on the chronograph and got the load to where I wanted it.

I use small rifle primers (Winchester is my fave but also use Federal and Wolf). Never tried the magnum primers. How do they change your powder load? I use Vihta Vouri N350 for powder and assorted brass.

Dietrich
10-31-2009, 07:33 PM
I use small rifle primers (Winchester is my fave but also use Federal and Wolf). Never tried the magnum primers. How do they change your powder load? I use Vihta Vouri N350 for powder and assorted brass.
It surprised me but the change wasn`t all that great. I started at the low end of the recipe in the Speer catalogue and was able to actually get comfortably into the mid range with no pressure issues. Iwas told that magnum primers were hotter than regular ones and they are,but not that much. If you get a chance to try some just start at the low end and ease your way up.

ltxi
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
I am going to talk with Kahr on Monday. The gun works fine but I agree that the imprint doesn't look right. I have never had a gun that made a firing pin imprint like this one.

It's all fine. Primer swipe is normal for striker fired pistols...Glocks, Kahrs, etc.

Chippawa
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I just got a call back from Kahr service and they told me that this primer imprint or impression is normal for their gun. Nothing to be concerned about. Apparently this occurs as the casing is being ejected.
Thanks Kahr.

OldGuyinTN
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
With a hammer/pin gun, the tip of the firing pin rebounds before the casing is ejected. With the striker, the tip of the pin is still forward of the breech face as the casing leaves the gun. It drags a little on the primer. As long as the original strike mark is near center, you're OK.

Wayne's World
11-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Man, you guys are good. I love reading the threads on little probs and how they are solved. You guys bring up things I never thought about and make me a more conscious shooter at the range. Thank you.

tv_racin_fan
11-27-2009, 10:53 AM
I noticed this with mine as well, read somewhere that it was a normal thing and more or less forgot about it. Now I don't know exactly how much ammo we have run thru our Kahrs but we have noticed no unusual wear on the firing pin as a result of this phenomenon.

gunmut
11-28-2009, 06:09 PM

That is normal per the Kahr manual.:D

WMD
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
With a hammer/pin gun, the tip of the firing pin rebounds before the casing is ejected. With the striker, the tip of the pin is still forward of the breech face as the casing leaves the gun. It drags a little on the primer. As long as the original strike mark is near center, you're OK.

Hey OldGuyinTN,

Methinks you are right on the money! I believe this occurs because there is no return spring returning the firing pin back into the slide. Hence it sticks out a bit as the case is ejected. Voila!! you get a tear shaped drag mark in the primer.

I could be wrong but I am thinking that is it!

Just my 2 cents.

DustyJacket
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
The firing pin does not retract until the slide finishes it backward movement and goes forward. When the slide goes forward the FP eventually moves to the rear and the firing pin safety engages.

Hense, the firing pin is still "in" the initial dent in the primer when the case is ejected. There is your comma.

You may want to lube the FP and the FP safety.

EDIT: I just saw the post above mine. Two ways of saying the same thing.

ltxi
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Do not lube the striker.