PDA

View Full Version : well, got another one.

mr. bggs
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
okay guys, i traded out the rusty/pitted/whatever k40 and got a new one thanks to the Davidson's lifetime guarantee. thing is, this new one doesn't seem right either. upon breakdown for initial cleaning, i first noticed the guide rod spring was bent fairly severely.(to the point it makes a strange noise when the slide is pulled back) second, im noticing alot of rough spots on the metal. i must have filed of at least 4 pieces of metal that seemed to just be lack of finishing on kahrs part. Lastly, the followers on the mags have a small metal tab in them. they stick out of the follower so much so that i cant get round 2 in the mag because the metal tab is stopping against the mag body. (both mags) I'm really trying to like this brand and gun, i really WANT to like them, but it seems like kahr has some major improvements to make before they can sell these as 850$ pistols IMO. hopefully these are all small fixes that i can do myself, but i truly feel that, for the money, kahr should take a closer look at the pistols they are letting out of their factory before too many people like me get too many guns like this, and just say the hell with em. I've been into guns for most of my life and have found maybe a handful of guns that fit me the right way and the k series is one of them. But i also only keep good quality pieces and im hoping for smooth sailing from this point on. i was considering getting a p380 for backup carry. now i think I'll wait on the range report from this guy before dropping another 5-600 for a backup gun. thanks to all you guys who helped me with my first kahr and hopefully this one will work out its little bugs and become one of my main carry pieces. if any of you have had any of these issues, id be curious to know what you did to remedy the problem or if you just left it alone. i used a file on the followers too BTW and now they allow a full magazine to be loaded but i still can feel the follower catch on the mag body occasionally. doesn't seem to affect the guns cycling(manually at least) it's only when im loading them that i feel it catch at all. thanks again and sorry for the rant. but if not here, then where. thanks
brad in NC :33:

jocko
12-05-2010, 09:53 AM
call kahr and order some new followers, they will send them to you I am sure. You can also file that metal tab back just enought so that the follower compresses into the magazine body with no hindrance. and sthen smooth it off on the corner. Then with the slide of and the slide stop back in to gun, reinsert the empty magazine and see how it works, i. e. like picking up the slide lock lever etc..

just get a new guide rod spring and forget about that. hard telling what happened, I would bet kahr will send u a new spring also if u call and explain.

Ok to rant, you should ahve gotten a nicer gun for that money ..

mr. bggs
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
thanks jocko, i feel the same way. its alot of little thing but damn, for the SECOND gun ive gotten, ud think it would at least not have the same problems as the first. it did not have the rust.(which is a big plus) but the mag follower hangin up on all 4 mags from two diff guns is kinda weird. like they just make them oversized on all of the mags. strange. anyway i got it so that i can manually load and rack out all 6 bullets so i guess thats good enough for now. i wont be able to go shoot for a while so hopefully, its done having problems because while i was at the show, there was a mk9 like the one in my picture, minus the wood grips of course new in box for 750 and i cant stop thinkin about it. we'll see how this one does first. thanks again jock!
brad in NC

jocko
12-06-2010, 05:11 PM
if u call kahr they will send you free followers and then just rework the ones u have now. On all my new mags, I talk them apart, and with some 600+ grip auto sand paper I rub the springs a couple dozen times on each side and then I take the followers and do the same thing 360 degrees. WHY u ask. Well I know then that all things are smooth as glass and I never oil my springs but wipe them down and the inside of my magazine with one of those silicone cloths. That follower should have zero resistance. again it is allabout timing and normally if one is have feed issues, the first place to start is magazines or maybe even with the first thing to check is the magazines and recoil springs. Normally the culprit willbe one of the two.

Kahr doesn't make their mags so I really doubt if kahr does much homework in testing them out either. I would even venture to bet that their test firing of every new kahr is not with the magazines that come with the gun but magazines that they have their for that purpose..

cw45fan
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
On all my new mags, I talk them apart...

Now, that right there... THAT's the sign of a REAL gunsmith! :roll:

jocko
12-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Now, that right there... THAT's the sign of a REAL gunsmith! :roll:

I was a gunsmith, I only take on tasks that I am sure I can do. Only good smitty around my area is about 50 miles from home and he is an amish man by the name (yup u guessed it ) YODER. He has done alot of work for me that I just felt unqualifed to do. BUT I have slept in a Holiday Inn lately:D

Bawanna
12-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I was a gunsmith, I only take on tasks that I am sure I can do. Only good smitty around my area is about 50 miles from home and he is an amish man by the name (yup u guessed it ) YODER. He has done alot of work for me that I just felt unqualifed to do. BUT I have slept in a Holiday Inn lately:D

50 miles on a Screaming Eagle don't seem like too much abuse. Does Yoder allow motorbikes (is it a sin to call a Screamin Eagle a motorbike) on his property?
I guess most importantly is there a Holiday Inn to stay at on the way in case you need to lay over.
By the way I still don't get the Holiday Inn joke, keeps going right over my head. I even use it now and then but I still don't know what it means.