PDA

View Full Version : MK9's first 175 rounds and review.

DasFriek
12-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I finally got around to hitting the indoor range yesterday, Minus 50 rounds of RWS 9mm as it has steel under the copper jackets and my range held them until i left. Ill never buy anymore RWS pistol ammo as i was used to thier .22LR ammo which is pretty high end.
Ill start by saying i did the prep and lube sticky suggestions, But found Slide Glide is not a great "All over coating" and should be reserved for rails and barrel lugs only. It holds too much dirt but whats worse as a break in lube it also holds any metal shavings that may come loose during break-in.
This is why you change the oil in a new car at 500 miles is these initial shavings that work loose during break-in.

I used a variety of ammo, WWB 115gr, Federal 115gr, AE 115gr, Gold Dot short barrel 124gr +p and tested both mags as i went along.

I think i can skip my initial thoughts and feeling of the gun prior to firing it as its in my other post and all positive.

I also took along my new(ish) RIA CS Officers .45acp which gave me mag issues after i cleaned a Kimber mag from its initial first shots and it would not lock back on the last round. I fixed this i feel with some spring adjustments when i got home.
I mention this as my nerves were shot and i think this gun frustrating me made it worse.

Back to the MK9, All target were set at 21' which is my normal ccw distance i hold all my carry guns too. Right away once i inserted the first mag i had the shakes like i never have before. I drank MT Dew but no energy drinks as i do like those. But with both guns its was hard to hold a gun steady.
But i went with it as i figured "If i gotta use this gun to save my life chances are ill be shaking like a leaf then too".

Recoil: Less than expected, I had no issues with pain nor staying on target even shaking. My hand was getting sore, But not from the MK9 but from my RIA CS. 175 rounds tho and i could still shoot it further if i wanted too even with my other gun being slightly painful.

Accuracy: Once i got used to the sights it was dead on and even with shakes that made the front sight dance like i was chasing flies i had no issue shooting great groups. It was easily on par with the RIA CS which has an after market trigger and a full trigger job by me and about as good as it gets unless you go for competition style trigger jobs.
The MK9's rounds were placed just as well as my 1911's and almost all could be held in a grouping smaller than head shot style circles.
Rapid fire was easy once i got used to the long pull im definitely not used too.
I also watched a video on how to shoot the gun with keeping my trigger finger perpendicular with the trigger which helped also. Basically you bend the finger at the knuckle and not the first joint.

Reliability- This had one bad spot which id normally over look but it gave me a stove pipe on my last mag of the day with my carry ammo Gold Dots 124gr +P, But everything else was flawless. I don't know if these guns can suffer from limp wristing but it is possible due to fatigue at this point with the higher pressure ammo. I know i was tired,sore and even more shaky so i only half blame the gun. The gun was filthy at this point also.

Mags: I usually don't add a review section on these but the Kahr mags deserve it. Very well made and the followers remind me of an upgraded Wilson Combat follower and they feed perfectly. I know some people complains on these but its designed that way to make it more reliable and the extra length is easily hidden imo.

Wear and final inspection after shooting: Metal shavings/chips were captured by the lube, But im cutting down on the Slide Glide and using more Wilson Ultra Lube. I found no odd wear marks or weakened springs.
The gun is good to go after a good cleaning and lube.

Final thoughts: Im very pleased with the gun and my choice in choosing the steel frame as the gun still isn't no pussycat and the weight does help.
To have the one failure during break-in which i can say could have been 50% my fault doesn't scare me. But i still plan on shooting it as much as possible and wearing it in alot more. The quality of this gun will last for generations and not be worn out no matter how much i shoot it.
The gun shows very little wear marks from shooting and the Wollf stock springs still feel nice and strong.
i shot the gun as well as a 1911 which says alot for me as thats what i almost always shoot. Compared to my previous Walther PPS 9mm there is NO comparison. Less recoil,10x better trigger and better conceal-ability it beats the PPS in every area i can think of.

Beyond today: I feel once i hit 500 rounds ill be adding a heavier 22lb recoil spring, And ill see how i do with rapid fire with the 6lb trigger/sticker pull and see if i need the 5lb to increase speed without loosing accuracy.
I don't feel ill be changing the grips as i like the thin stock ones and they do look good imo. Wood is nicer but fatter and in my back pocket thats not a plus.

jocko
12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
My bet I would say that one malfunction could indeed be shooter "tired" You had put quite a few round sthrough it by then and it sure looks to me like fatigue could have set in. One can get alittle tired (sloppy) and never even know it is happening. I have no doubts that gun is good to go and by round 500,u can feel it is well broken in and smooth as glass to. Issues are things that constanty repeat themselve, not one in a 150 rounds. gold dots 124 grain are certainly one of the best to...Kahrs ar enot ammo sensitive..

nice report. nice handgun also.

DasFriek
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I think i was close too almost 400 rounds between the two guns and i was tired, Sore, Shaky and frustrated with my other gun.
I have no issues carrying it now, But as a bug in my back pocket and its the only gun i have that can do that. But i wont carry it alone until i see 200 more trouble free rounds threw it.
Im not dwelling on it tho, I don't know if i mentioned it but the malfunction was a stovepipe while it was trying to feed another round. Sounds exactly like limp wristing to me. I did forget also it seemed that every last round in the mag would hit me dead center of my forehead. I went to the bathroom to wash up when i was done and had black rings all over my forehead and one was even a perfect imprint of the base of the case, primer and all.
But that also tells me i may have been running the gun a bit too wet, But im not sure how so much lube got on the breech face. One round hit my forehead and then fell down my tucked in shirt, I always love those trying to get the gun laid down asap and grabbing the brass before it burns ya good.
I think this will clear up as the extractor loosens up also as its pretty darn tight.

My other 1911 i had with i me think i fixed with a spring adjustment, It was just not holding the slide back on the last round. Nothing big but annoying.
My Gov. 1911 is supposed to be shipped from the refinisher on Thursday so once it gets here ill be heading back to the range and put them all threw their paces again.

Bawanna
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
It's funny how one gun messing with your head can carry over and just wipe out an otherwise perfect range session. You tell yourself, it's no big deal, I know what I gotta do to fix it but can't do it on the spot but you still get worked up about it.

You just wanna go home and start all over again and hope for a better trip next time.

jocko
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Might just be my opinion which most know can't be worth much but I think most every gun will screw every once in awhile. Could be alot of unexplained reason for a screw up to. for once the screw up occurs,it is often har dto duplicate it or figure it out also.

Could be a light round that didn't let the slide work like it should. Could be a tired shooter that caused it, Could be that one time peace of crap that got into the gun and caused it.

It is when the issue happens time and time again that one has to be concerned. I personally feel Das Friek's MK9 is goo dto go.

Bawanna
12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Agreed, it was his 1911 that was throwing him off his game.

DasFriek
12-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Sorry guys but what was throwing me off was the shaking, I never had that happen while shooting. It really messed with my head bad.
The guns actually made me look good pattern wise as most shots stayed in a head shot sized group at 21'
But im usually twice as good as that also.

I hope you guys don't think i feel the Kahr is a bad gun due to one stove pipe even if it was with my carry ammo. Its very simple to explain imo.
Tired, Shaky as heck, frustrated and wanting to go home but knew i had to shoot my carry ammo before leaving and i wasn't putting effort into the shooting like i should and most likely limp wrist-ed a +P ammo and this is what you get.

Whats funny is im more concerned on why my Officers RIA wasn't locking the slide back on the last round. I spent 3-4 hours last night testing and researching and making adjustments to the spring and follower and how they interact.
But in the big picture a slide not locking back is no big deal, Especially when you only carry a bug and no spare mag. I also spent several hours today looking online for Wilson Combat mag springs and followers to rebuild the Kimber mag. But i think im ok anyhow after last nights work.
Thats how i carry, My 1911 and a spare mag or my 1911 and a bug.
Now i have the MK9 im enjoying carrying a bug so why im so worried over something that has no affect on me except as an annoyance is something only people who are OCD about hobbies and such.

So don't read displeasure into my review of the MK9, Im more than happy and do trust the gun that when the next time we are out it will perform better or i will just leave and go back another day.

I have anxiety issues i take meds for also, But its never slipped into my shooting area.
But as a kid when riding dirt bikes my legs would shake so bad i couldn't stand up on the pegs when i needed too. lol

My next range day im gonna wipe my guns down internally to remove some lube as i always overlube even when im trying not too, Its a habit as i always buy Blued guns and never Stainless steel.
Then i just have one Mt Dew for breakfast and double my anxiety meds to lower my shakes. They aren't that strong so don't worry its no safety hazard, I already thought about that also.

I found out today my Gov 1911 will be shipped out to me on Thursday and i should have it the following Monday or Tuesday and ill be going back to the range for function testing that gun since it was at the refinishers and touched by someone else besides me.
Shes one sweet pistol tho, Started life as a PT1911 but after 2k rounds i stripped it to the frame/slide and barrel and rebuilt it from the pins and springs up with all machined Wilson,Baer and Brown parts that i hand fit all of them and then did a carry bevel/melt and then sent it out to be finished by parkerization and then have KG GunKote in Satin Black backed on.
So now i have a $1500 1911 thats worth $350 on trade-in :)
I did that on purpose as it was my first 1911 and my folks bought some of the internals for me as a birthday present so i knew i wanted to never let it go and by burying myself upside down so bad into it i never can.
Its the best shooting gun i ever shot due to a few mods i did some of the high end guys helped me with.

kahrseye
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Good report. I think you're good to go, but you're the one who has to feel confident in the weapon. It sounds to me like you really like that MK9......be forewarned, these Kahrs are addictive.

DasFriek
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeh i know you guys keep pointing out that darned PM45 every time i read something, Or is it me doing it to myself? lol
Ill admit Kahrs aren't cheap price wise but they aren't cheap quality wise so that only makes sense.
Im pretty amazed at how well i was able to shoot 175 rounds threw the MK and it didnt hurt my hands, But at the end my Officers 1911 was making the web of my hand sore.
I have polymer textured grips on it and they bite a bit too much, I may sand them a bit and take the sharp tops off. Or put the wood grips back on.

Plus i gotta say Kahr has the market cornered on the affordable but high quality micro 9mm hand guns. There are no 9mm micro guns under the Kahr id buy, I just dont like them. But i can afford the Rohrbaugh 9mm and i wouldn't spend that much either.
But the ArchAngel from Micro Tech and the Boberg if they ever hit the market may be fun guns to play with.
But i only need 1 small gun like this so it wont be me buying one.

jocko
12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't think the Boberg will ever hit the market. that gun has been on the "coming soon"
thing for about 5 years. Not sure I would want one either.

hollander
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I love my MK9, PM9, and P380. I lube them with Mobil One synthetic and they run like clocks. Congrats on the new gun, stay stay, and have a Merry Christmas.

DasFriek
12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeh, Its in the same league as the "New and improved" Bren Ten thats been on the edge of release over 2 years easily.
The MicroTech Archangel would be nice as they do make some very high quality stuff, But price is on par with Kahr's higher end stuff so unless they get it perfect out of the box they may not well many and just drop the idea.

Its a tough gun market now ccw is so popular and people "Demand" reliability out of the box to protect their lives. But thats good imo, It keeps companies on their toes and not slacking on quality and also making them inventive making new products we didnt even know we wanted or needed.
Its a good time to be a gun person as long as you have a little spare cash :)

DasFriek
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
hollander As a matter of fact i too have a quart of Mobile1 15-40 synthetic i think thats the weight anyhow. And ill use it from time to time.

Soon as my Wilsons Ultra Lube runs out ill use the Mobil1 a while until i get more Ultra lube.
Wilson does make a good lube.
Slide Glide is great especially on parkerized slides and they feel like they are on bearings.
But it needs only a very thin coat on my Kahr.
Thats all the stuff i use after ive cleaned the gun and wiped it off with CLP also. But i wipe that dry before applying the other stuff.

I know i over lube, It doesn't hurt in a carry gun that doesn't get shot much. But once you take it to the range its a complete mess and many times ive had to stop and clean my glasses from the lube hitting me in the face.

Many will say thats not a good thing, But its better than under lubed and has been fine with me.

DasFriek
12-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Today was day 2 of range fun and some finish break in on the MK9.
As it last stood i was at 175 rounds with 1 failure with my +P carry ammo Gold Dots, It jambed with a stovepipe on the spent shell while feeding a new round.

Id guess today was 225-250 rounds with a minimum of 50 +P rounds, And one failure happened again same as the last time with a +P round and a stove pipe with a spent shell while chambering a new round.

Whats odd is i had my RIA officers CS .45 with me again and it went threw 150-175 rounds and 50 were +P and i had 2 failures exactly like on my MK9 same way and with +P rounds again.

Both guns have been flawless on all standard loads, This leads me to believe the +P ammo is causing a timing issue. So i went to Wolff's website and my only choice was to order the non captive steel rod and 22.5lb spring set.
Then picked up a 24lb recoil spring for my Officers 1911.

Pretty decent deal as you get the recoil guide rod and bushing and spring pack for $35
Got my 1911 spring and out the door under $50

Now to the fun stuff, How the shooting went.
I could have shot all day before my hands got sore with either gun. I know i shot 400+ rounds and every target at 25' was missing a 4" hole in the center with both guns.
But in all reality the Kahr shot the better groups.
IVE NEVER OUT-SHOT A 1911 WITH ANY GUN BEFORE, PERIOD!
My nerves were better and i wasn't shaking as i laid off the MT Dew and took anxiety meds a bit early to keep my hands steady.

When i came home i did a quick inspection of both guns as you never know what you will find during break in periods and the first 1000 rounds.
The Kahr is in as good as new shape, Hardly no wear marks or cosmetic marks from shooting even.
The RIA is gonna need some fine tuning, But thats another forum.

I do worry a bit about my carry ammo as all of it is +P and my only reliability tested and passed gun is still at the refinishers. Ammo wise everything else is FMJ ammo.
But my order to Wolff is being shipped priority so hopefully my luck will hold out as im not gonna go buy new standard pressure ammo for both guns only to carry it 3 days.

jlottmc
12-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Whats funny is im more concerned on why my Officers RIA wasn't locking the slide back on the last round. ...
But in the big picture a slide not locking back is no big deal, Especially when you only carry a bug and no spare mag. I also spent several hours today looking online for Wilson Combat mag springs and followers to rebuild the Kimber mag.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who uses Kimber mags and they won't lock the slide. I too am in search of either some new followers or a stainless slide stop for mine.

DasFriek
12-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Id say this is the Wilson kit that should work best with the Kimber mags. But its out of stock at Midway. I think Wilson has it in stock on their site.
Wilson Combat Magazine Follower and Spring 1911 8-Round Government, 7-Round Officer 45 ACP Colt, Metalform Magazine - MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=171154)

I used this one and its not perfect, But works well. The follower needs to be a bit deeper or wider but if you squeeze the mag lips with pliers just a little and then its good.
This setup put more pressure on the tip of the follower to keep the rounds pointed up but also keep enough pressure on the slide release to hold it back on the last round.
Mine worked 100% after 200 rounds since i put this in it.
Wilson Combat Magazine Follower and Spring 1911 8-Round Government, 7-Round Officer 45 ACP Wilson Magazine - MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=439991)

I would have just stayed with the factory Act mag except the base sticks out so much more than the flush Kimber mags, But ive never had good luck with the folded metal followers.
Wilson mags and internals seem to always work flawlessly.

Anyone feel the new heavier 24lb Kahr recoil spring and steel guide rod system wont clear up my +P induced failures? It wouldnt be a big deal if it happened with all ammo as that would be 3 failures out of 400+, But its 3 failures out of about 60 rounds since it was all with the +P loads.

Bawanna
12-15-2010, 09:19 AM
You might check Brownells also. They stock Wilson mags and parts.

DasFriek
12-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I did check Brownells and iirc they didn't have the right Wilson mag kit, They had STI i believe. Matter of fact they don't carry the Wilson 7 round officers mags with the short bases. Most of what they had was 7 round Gov mags.

But check for yourself as ive been known to make mistakes also.

BTW guys check post #14 for my latest update on the MK9

Bawanna
12-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Perhaps something has changed I got 6 of the officers mags from them with the short bases, some metal bases and some extended so I could mix and match.

That section can be real confusing, I struggled because they use different numbers until you actually get to the exact product. I think 47D for full size and 47OX for officers.

They may have cut back on inventory also. Have to go check it out.