PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Release Observations

robmcd
12-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I've seen a few posts on magazines not dropping free, and various suggested fixes. I had the same issue with the 6-round mag on my new PM9, but the 7-round mag dropped free. I ordered 2 new 6-round mags from Kahr, but they had the same issue. I called customer service and they had me return the new mags for replacement, and in the meantime I compared mag dimensions and polished the body on my sticking 6-round mag. Today I received the replacement mags, and they work like a charm. No mag well or mag release work was necessary. That's when I noticed something: the mags that would not drop were all marked "MK", but the mags that worked OK were marked "9-6". I then compared mag body dimensions, and the "9-6" mags are the same thinkness but very slightly smaller front-to-rear. It makes me wonder whether the "MK" mags are all just slightly larger, but work OK in the MK and cause problems only in the PM. Just a thought.

At any rate, score +1 for Kahr customer service. Just in time - the Federal HST's, night sights and leather should arrive this week. Now that's a Merry Christmas.

jocko
12-15-2010, 04:21 AM
humm, very interesting, looks like maybe kahr made a slight change--MAYBE. We will see downthe road if onehas issues with mags not dropping what lettering is stampled on the magazines.

thanks for the nice tip..

all 3 of my sticking mags are MK's. It really doesn't bother me one way or the other.. One of the two glock magazines in my g19 sticks.

garyb
12-15-2010, 08:14 AM
This is an interesting observation. Hopefully others will check their mags to determine if there is a relationship between the designation of MK and that mag not dropping freely VS 9-6 and that mag dropping freely. It will be interesting to see if there is a relationship. I checked my mags for a designation but could not find anything. However, I had tricked them out by applying Agrip material to the base and extension in order to improve the grip and cover the stainless. I like the look and feel of the Agrip better. So far it is holding up well. I am assuming the designation is near or on the base plate/extension area of the mag. Is this true? I hope others will check their mag to see if there is a correlation. Thanks.

robmcd
12-15-2010, 08:26 AM
The imprint is on the lower left side of the mag body.

I have also used Agrip in the past, but found that the black dye got all over my hand when the material got wet.

garyb
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Yep...then I covered it with Agrip and that is why I can't find it on the mag. I guess that was the first negative experience I've had with this agrip stuff...this agrip may not be all that it's cracked up to be....or maybe it was my fault and not the agrip...who cares! ha ha

garyb
12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
My 5 round mag only has 40 Kahr as the designation printed on the lower left side. It does not show an MK or 9-6. This 5 round mag also drops freely and functions perfectly.

Tat2dman
12-15-2010, 03:46 PM
HMMM,just checked I have two of them marked MK,both 6 rounders,and they drop free from my PM9 everytime!

robmcd
12-15-2010, 07:44 PM
HMMM,just checked I have two of them marked MK,both 6 rounders,and they drop free from my PM9 everytime!

Oh well, so much for my theory.

garyb
12-16-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree with you that it sounds like it might be difficult to get to the bottom of this one. It appears that something "MAY" be going on with mags and the differences with designations. Who knows? Kahr does! I doubt that kahr will give you the true skinny on this, but you could always try to fish it out of them. I get a sense that the gun manufacturers run into problems and they know exactly what is happening, but just let them ride with their customers to reduce their exposure. If a customer complains, they deal with it. If a customer is not complaining, then why worry about it...they (the gun manufacturer) just saved a few bucks. Unfortunately, many folks will live with a problem. Personally, I feel that if there is something wrong with such an important item as a defensive weapon, you are potentially putting your and your family's life on the line and need to get the problem sorted out at all cost. I want all the mags to work properly. NO failures of any kind. I want it to drop so I can exchange mags quickly if I need to. It simply needs to work flawlessly as it was designed to work. If one gets broken, don't use it until you fix it or replace it. It is VERY important to have 110% confidence in that weapon. Know your Sword! Please...this is just an opinion and not intended to be pointed at anyone.

cam1
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I just bought 2, 6 round mags because mine that is stamped with mk would not drop. The new ones are the 9-6 and they don't drop. I am perplexed. Also, I have had several FTF with the seven round mags. I also have done the "jocko prep" but it hasn't helped. I will be calling Kahr on Monday to see what is up.

JAS
01-16-2011, 01:36 AM
My 6 round mag marked MK drops fine. I also have two 6 round mags that are marked 9-6, one of them drops fine and the other one sticks.

jocko
01-16-2011, 05:16 AM
kahr doesn't make their mags, IMO the new markings mean nothing as far as dermensional changes go. They don't rtest shoot with the mags that come with your gun either, so they are jsut grabbing two mags out of hte bin and placing them in the box and then it is a crap shoot if they work or not. Somehere have sone a nice polish and wax job on their mags with great success..

jmk1138
01-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I joined this forum just to get an answer to this question. I looked and have MK on my 6-rd magazine, too.

jmk1138
01-18-2011, 06:00 PM
The 6-rounder doesn't seem to have a problem falling out when loaded. I guess this means it needs to be waxed? Slicker?
I hate to monkey with things. I'm not smart enough to improve on the design of just about anything. I think I'll try sending it back.

wyntrout
01-18-2011, 06:32 PM
They're stainless, so I don't worry about damaging the finish. I use 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the lips, the retention notch and the follower. I use a bit of Tetra oil on the outside and wipe it lightly dry. The polymer mag well can be lightly sanded... IF needed. The polymer can expand and contract more than metal. I've only sanded the mags a bit and maybe the mouth of the magazine well.
Magazines should fall out if loaded, when released... empty... would be nice, for sure, but I don't want mine hitting the ground/pavement/floor.
JMHO.

Wynn :)

earle8888
01-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Wow Tuson, in the hot weather and that food grade oil I hope you don't have the dogs after you! (:

wyntrout
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Earl, your smile is backwards or upside down!

Wynn :)

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Just bought a PM9 last Friday. My 6 rounder is marked "9-6" and it sticks. It doesn't fail to drop free all the time just most of the time. I figure it will work itself out over time. I haven't even shot any rounds through the gun yet.

Sorry to upset your theory :-), but good thinking anyway.

JimC
08-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Just bought a PM9 last Friday. My 6 rounder is marked "9-6" and it sticks. It doesn't fail to drop free all the time just most of the time. I figure it will work itself out over time. I haven't even shot any rounds through the gun yet.

Sorry to upset your theory :-), but good thinking anyway.

I have 4-6 rd. Kahr mags for my PM9 all of which are marked "9-6".
At first they were hit or miss as far as dropping free when empty.
Over the past two years they have all gotten to the point that they drop free about 99% of the time.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I have 4-6 rd. Kahr mags for my PM9 all of which are marked "9-6".
At first they were hit or miss as far as dropping free when empty.
Over the past two years they have all gotten to the point that they drop free about 99% of the time.

Great to hear Jim, that sounds like my situation (hit or miss).

Even the short amount of time I've had the gun the magazine has loosened up quite a bit.

Thanks for the good news.

:Amflag2:

bxojr
08-12-2013, 10:20 AM
My 6-round mag (marked "9-6") drops free. My 7-round mag (marked "9-7") does not, though it's somewhat better after I hammered on it a bit.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 11:06 AM
My 6-round mag (marked "9-6") drops free. My 7-round mag (marked "9-7") does not, though it's somewhat better after I hammered on it a bit.

Hi, maybe you could elaborate on how and where you "hammered" it? I read the thread about squishing the top where the rounds feed but it just feels like mine is catching somewhere in the middle of the mag. Thanks.

bxojr
08-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi, maybe you could elaborate on how and where you "hammered" it? I read the thread about squishing the top where the rounds feed but it just feels like mine is catching somewhere in the middle of the mag. Thanks.

Yes, that sounds just like my experience. I tried squeezing at the top, just below the feed lips, but that didn't help. After some experimentation, I determined that the part of the mag just above the hole that engages the mag release was actually hanging up on the mag release itself. I hammered (not too hard!) with a brass hammer on that area, just above the hole on the left side of the mag.

It's better now, in that I can usually get it to drop free. Sometimes it still hangs up, depending on how hard I press the mag release (though I can generally get it to drop out with a bit of a shake).

I considered filing down the plastic on the inside of the mag release button a bit, but I decided that was a bad idea (if I take off too much, the mags won't click in anymore). Instead I'm going to wait and see if the plastic wears down with use. I'm only about 130 rounds into my break-in period, so I'm assuming things will continue to loosen up.

JimC
08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Great to hear Jim, that sounds like my situation (hit or miss).

Even the short amount of time I've had the gun the magazine has loosened up quite a bit.

Thanks for the good news.

Allow me to add, my mags and or followers have not be altered or modified in any way, they are "stock" as they come.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
bxojr, thanks for the info. I'll break the gun and mags in first before I consider more drastic measures, but I think I'll be okay just by using the gun. If not, I now have some things I can try (short of modifying the mag release button).

Jim, I'm a believer in keeping a gun as stock as possible. My Remington 870P I just added a side saddle, that's it. My three Glocks are all stock, and my Ruger 10/20TD I just swapped out the bolt release plate and the large rear pin in the receiver for a softer one. I'm very happy with the stock configuration of my PM9 too (at least before actually shooting it that is). Thanks fellas.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey fellas, I cleaned and oiled the gun for the first time. I was amazed how dirty it was, and this was straight from the factory. Well, I bought it from a gun dealer off the display shelf and there's no telling if they shot it. I noticed that slide seemed kind of gritty when I racked it but now it's as smooth as butter. Great improvement. I did the 500 rack prep earlier but I wish I waited until after I cleaned it first. She should be ready to hit the range now to break her in.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
BTW, here's a pic right after I got it:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j86/Player1000/kahrpm9.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/user/Player1000/media/kahrpm9.jpg.html)

jocko
08-12-2013, 12:59 PM
probaby y eyesfollin me but would that be the blunt nose PMJ9 instead of the beveled fron slide. Kinda lookslike that...

Bawanna
08-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Looks beveled to me but hard to see in that light.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
I know what you mean, the picture looks odd, but it's a standard PM9. On the case it says "PM9 W DIAMOND BLACK SLIDE PM9094A".

I think it's a combination of the angle, light, and the lens I used (effective 35mm). The gun doesn't look so "snubby" in person.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Looks beveled to me but hard to see in that light.

It's bevelled all right, roll stamped too.

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Here's a better pic:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j86/Player1000/DSC_0001copy2a.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/user/Player1000/media/DSC_0001copy2a.jpg.html)

jocko
08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
yup sure is, buth the dlc finish is awesome..

Jeff1000
08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
yup sure is, buth the dlc finish is awesome..

Thanks Jocko, gun looks better in person though.