PDA

View Full Version : Got a K9 Black

PaiN
12-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I went to the LGS this morning to compare a few carry weapons before I plunk down my money on the CW9, I specifically wanted to handle the Beretta Px4 SC, turns out it was much too fat for my likes.
I had to browse while I was there..this shop (http://www.hoffgun.com/) is huge btw...in the upper back corner of the used gun case, an all black Kahr K9 caught my eye...so did the price of $399. It was very clean and tight, no abnormal ware and only a few handling marks. Seems like it was carried alot and shot alittle. The trigger was phenomenal(I now believe what is said about the metal Kahrs having an even better trigger than the polys) it has rubber grips and two mags. Well, once in hand that was it, awesome feel and weight. I even like the all black better than the two tone Kahrs.
This in the first time I've so much as seen the metal Kahrs...How come no one let me in on these earlier ..? ;)
I put it on lay-a-way and will pick it up next month or likely sooner

Sorry no pics until then

ripley16
12-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah, you're going to love the K9. The price was good too.

Your LGS has some nice prices...I'd go bankrupt if I lived near by.

jocko
12-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I went to the LGS this morning to compare a few carry weapons before I plunk down my money on the CW9, I specifically wanted to handle the Beretta Px4 SC, turns out it was much too fat for my likes.
I had to browse while I was there..this shop (http://www.hoffgun.com/) is huge btw...in the upper back corner of the used gun case, an all black Kahr K9 caught my eye...so did the price of $399. It was very clean and tight, no abnormal ware and only a few handling marks. Seems like it was carried alot and shot alittle. The trigger was phenomenal(I now believe what is said about the metal Kahrs having an even better trigger than the polys) it has rubber grips and two mags. Well, once in hand that was it, awesome feel and weight. I even like the all black better than the two tone Kahrs.
This in the first time I've so much as seen the metal Kahrs...How come no one let me in on these earlier ..? ;)
I put it on lay-a-way and will pick it up next month or likely sooner

Sorry no pics until then

very decent price. I am sure you are aware this is the carbon steel slide, not stainless and it has the NYPD trigger as all K9 have (except the elite) and u have the smaller dovetail in the slide which you need to know if you change sights etc. Not knocking this K9 at all, just wanted you to be aware. I can't see how the k's can have any better trigger than the poly's as they are identical, actually the poly'shave the elite trigger in them.

again a nice gun u can go to the kahr tech section and run your serial number in there to see about whenit was made. I am going to guess without knowing the serial number 10 years. You can't shoot out a kahr, so feel good about that part.. The rubber grips are awesome. i have them on my K9 which is about 6 years old..

PaiN
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I really know very little about the "K" Kahrs...I do know that I trust my gut and it liked this K9 very much, just had a good feeling about the gun. With no glaring defects and a 30day used gun guarantee from the shop(they'll buy it back or give full credit toward something else if there are any functional issues with a purchased used gun).
Now I'm done with my business for the day, I'm going to read up on the K9....

BobR
12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Congratulations!

I recently joined the Kahr club with an MK9 that I was so happy with, I went and picked up a K9 elite 98 with probably no more than two magazines through it, and less than 100 rounds all told. Got it for a comparitive song, about half the price of a new one.

I am surprised that such short barreled pistols shoot so accurately - they easily beat every other pistol I have except a 7 1/2" barreled Cimmaron model P in .357 magnum.

You wouldn't have done badly with a Px4 storm either. I have one in .40, but it is definitely a 3 season gun, no way can you conceal the 4" model in Summer clothes, without some method of off-body carry, like a versipack or fanny pack

PaiN
12-19-2010, 01:35 PM
copied from the tech section:

AX08xx - K9 - Nov 2003
BA0xxx - K9 - awaiting date
BE01xx - K9 Elite 03 - Jul 2005

My K9 is a BA0xxx according to the above does that mean it was made in ~2004?

jocko
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
copied from the tech section:

AX08xx - K9 - Nov 2003
BA0xxx - K9 - awaiting date
BE01xx - K9 Elite 03 - Jul 2005

My K9 is a BA0xxx according to the above does that mean it was made in ~2004?

yes, it is a nice gun, I was not trying to take anything away from it or your purchase, just wanted to relate a few things about the gun. I wish kahr would offer the K9 today in a dlc finish slide and frame..

PaiN
12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
yes, it is a nice gun, I was not trying to take anything away from it or your purchase, just wanted to relate a few things about the gun.
:confused: I'm confused?
Anyway, what about its born date per the SN#

ripley16
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
very decent price. I am sure you are aware this is the carbon steel slide, not stainless and it has the NYPD trigger as all K9 have (except the elite) and u have the smaller dovetail in the slide which you need to know if you change sights etc.

What makes you say the K9 PaiN is buying has a carbon steel slide? It is more likely to have a stainless slide as the carbon steel slides were offered in the earlier years. It is also just as likely to have the new style dovetails. Did I miss some part of the description?

gunmut
12-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Can you tell the carbon steel from the SS guns by the additional machining on the frame of the SS guns; I think the carbon steel guns are more slab sided than the SS guns??
:confused:

PaiN
12-19-2010, 02:06 PM
The SN # is of the later builds, I'm pretty sure it has a stainless slide.

jocko
12-19-2010, 02:37 PM
The SN # is of the later builds, I'm pretty sure it has a stainless slide.

I would call kahr to verify that, as the blued framed guns were carbon steel slides.

ripley16
12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Can you tell the carbon steel from the SS guns by the additional machining on the frame of the SS guns; I think the carbon steel guns are more slab sided than the SS guns??
:confused:

I can't tell the difference between old and new, stainless and carbon slides. The frames have evolved from the slab side below to the "cut" frame seen on the bottom.

Here is a '96 carbon steel slide. To my knowledge, all early black slides were carbon steel. I believe the stainless slides were left alone.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/tphandseecamp001.jpg

A new Stainless slide All slides are stainless now regardless of finish.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/newK9003.jpg

jocko
12-19-2010, 04:01 PM
UR Right, I wish they would offer the K9 in a total DLC finish. That would be one awesome son of a gun...

dusty10
12-19-2010, 04:39 PM
All of my black slide Kahrs are stamped stainless steel on right side of slide. My K9 is also a 2004 model year and has that same stamping on slide. This does not necessarily mean yours is not stainless but, without that stamp, I would definetly call Kahr and ask. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

10Kahrs
12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Congrats on your purchase ! here is a pic of my carbon steel E9 The slide is thicker on the E9's and just so ya know they wont fit in a K9 holster but do fit in a K40 holster not sure if the carbon steel K9 slide was thicker too?

PaiN
12-20-2010, 08:15 AM
btw....I almost forgot to ask :o
These K9's are generally good and reliable pistols, right?

jocko
12-20-2010, 09:27 AM
btw....I almost forgot to ask :o
These K9's are generally good and reliable pistols, right?

be they early model carbon steel slides, later model stainless slides, they are kahrs best of the best. Don't worry to much about what yours is made of. Take care of it and just shoot it like you stole it.

Look at the kahr lube thread, it is a dandy and will serve your K9 well..

PaiN
12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
they, are kahrs best of the best..

The best of the best! Now, I know why I liked the gun so much :D

gunmut
12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the pic of the old and new K9

PaiN
12-26-2010, 05:27 AM
This waiting is tough...I want my gun :hungry:
I was able to get a buyer for Taurus PT709, after a very quick 2nd repair.
I have to hand it to Taurus they picked up shipping on both trips. The first was for a sudden onset of FTE's and light strikes. I got it back in 2weeks but the pistol was still light striking. The second return was sent on 20th, and received back on the 24th with a complete new upper. I've always liked this little gun, but with all that's happened I won't be comfortable carrying or with its long term reliability.
Anyway, since I got the 709 back so quickly and its in soon to be sold I should be picking up the K9 maybe as early as next week.

bagman
01-02-2011, 08:01 AM
PaiN you will be amazed at the difference between your new Kahr and the Taurus.

PaiN
01-07-2011, 07:58 AM
PaiN you will be amazed at the difference between your new Kahr and the Taurus.

I finally got the Taurus sold off...I'll be picking up the K9 tonight or tomorrow.
Hopefully this will take care of my CCW needs for a long time to come.

PaiN
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow....I had to brave a snow storm but its so nice to finally have the K9 home. I had chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb, not a flaw to be seen inside or out(except :mad: *see below) its exceptionally clean and well cared for and will continue to be....
The pistol likely didn't need them but I replaced the recoil and striker springs with the Wolff's I bought. The LGS had a nice ItW holster made by Tagua it was about half the price of the Don Hume I've been waiting on and was available on the spot, so I snagged it.
Here's some quick pics I grabbed...
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Kahr%20K9/DSC03157.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Kahr%20K9/DSC03159.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/Kahr%20K9/DSC03155.jpg

*Now the :mad:
I wanted to strip the pistol and look at it over before we finalized the sale. The pin was very tight..I knew it would be and brought a tool for the purpose. The sales guy insisted on not using the it and taking in the back to remove the pin with a rubber mallet. Sure enough when he came back out...I noticed(he didn't tell me) a tear in the rubber grip the sales guy managed to cause using his mallet :7:. I was not too happy...To the stores credit, the owner e-mailed their Kahr rep and ordered me a new set to be mailed to my house.
That's that... now to get to shooting it ASAP

ripley16
01-07-2011, 09:54 PM
The pin was very tight..I knew it would be and brought a tool for the purpose.

Uncle Ripley's Tip of the Day; Try using the base of a magazine to push the pin out. One "tool" that's always with your gun so you don't have to carry something else.

Nice gun. Black is sexy.

MikeyKahr
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
That's one sweet Kahr, PaiN. Congratulations to you. I hope it shoots as well and sweet as it looks! Bummer about the grip but glad to hear that the LGS made it right (in time, anyway). Good luck to you with it, hope it's better than your previously cherished P9. And one of these days, you'll have to let us know if there's been any update to the "Philosophy of PaiN" that I've read about on this forum previously. If I remember right, it was minimalistic (P9 and Benelli and you're good to go, right?) :cool:

Bawanna
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Looks good, glad the wait is over. I did'nt think you could still get the rubber grips anymore, hope they come thru for you. Even though I'm a wood guy I like the feel of the rubber handles on my K40.

jocko
01-08-2011, 05:11 AM
is this a new K9, I like Bawanna never knew they went back to the rubber grips again. U should
love those grips. what a great feel they give. I just love those K9 in the black finish..

kpm9
01-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Finally, congrats and it looks great.

What a doofus, tearing the grip. Anyway, it in your paws now and a new set of grips on the way.

Range report expected soon.

PaiN
01-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. It seems to be a really great find....I should have taken pics of its guts ..so clean..:) Once I shoot it I'll post a range report for ya. I hand cycled about 50 rounds though of RWS FMJ and the Federal XPB HP all smooth as slik.

hope it's better than your previously cherished P9. And one of these days, you'll have to let us know if there's been any update to the "Philosophy of PaiN" that I've read about on this forum previously. :cool:
My P9 was perfect....that was one sweet pistol, so being "better" might me a stretch. The only problem with my P9 was me, the gun was too nice and expensive for EDC and I worried sick about it....With this K9 I don't have that feeling, it was half the price and is all business, like it has a job to do ;)
"The "Philosophy of PaiN" has not changed, absolutely only keeping guns I have need for....I've been through a few more firearms than I thought but I have not come off task or bought any needless weapons. In fact this K9 would not be with me if the Taurus hadn't turned out to be a POS, I have to admit it is a great fit in the collection and worlds better than the PT709.

Here's the minimal collection of 4 weapons I have to fit my "needs":
-rifle(s): Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine w/Choate stock .30carbine and a Marlin 795 .22lr for practice and plinking.
-sidearm: Sig Sauer P220 .45auto with .22lr X-Change kit for practice and plinking.
-EDC: Kahr K9 9mm

MikeyKahr
01-08-2011, 08:25 PM
The "Philosophy of PaiN" has not changed, absolutely only keeping guns I have need for....I've been through a few more firearms than I thought but I have not come off task or bought any needless weapons. In fact this K9 would not be with me if the Taurus hadn't turned out to be a POS, I have to admit it is a great fit in the collection and worlds better than the PT709.

Here's the minimal collection of 4 weapons I have to fit my "needs":
-rifle(s): Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine w/Choate stock .30carbine and a Marlin 795 .22lr for practice and plinking.
-sidearm: Sig Sauer P220 .45auto with .22lr X-Change kit for practice and plinking.
-EDC: Kahr K9 9mm

Thanks for expounding on the "Philosophy of PaiN". When I was blessed with my PM9 last summer and found this forum, I did a thorough reading of every post and your philosophy hit a chord with me as it is very similar to my philosophy. I'm a minimalist at heart in many ways, and while I would like to have access to the arsenals some members on here have, I most likely never will. And due to circumstances, I will need to be very selective and purposeful in my purchases and try hard not to make a mistake. My first was the PM9 and I'm so thankful to have it, it's been everything I wanted and more. I have been seriously considering a HD 12gauge for my next purchase, but I'm constantly changing my mind and thinking of maybe getting a nice carbine along the lines of an Auto-Ordnance M1 instead. I know, I know jocko - get them all, right? Unfortunately that's not in the cards for me. Right now, I'm shooting (pun) for four: PM9, 12gauge, rifle, then either MK9/K9 (what can I say, wood/steel just does it for me.) However, if I can't have four, I think I'd settle for two: PM9 and 12gauge (or maybe carbine instead.) PaiN, given your philosophy, any particular reason why you gave up your Benelli, as that's on my current short list? Maybe you'll be able to save me some $ and grief by further expounding. :yo:

PaiN
01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
The Benelli Nova was a good shotgun, very good....I'd recommend one if that's what you're looking for.
As for need...hmm, maybe we should discuss that in a PM. The less people that know how I think, the better.

MikeyKahr
01-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Understood, PM it is.

Bawanna
01-08-2011, 10:52 PM
The Benelli Nova was a good shotgun, very good....I'd recommend one if that's what you're looking for.
As for need...hmm, maybe we should discuss that in a PM. The less people that know how I think, the better.

Hey when you guys figure out how you think, could I be next. I'd kind of like to figure out how I think sometimes too! I realize we don't have much to work with and all but I'd surely like to get a grasp on it before the river crossing if you get the flow of my stream and all.

Perhaps its lack of thinking which muddies my water? Hmmm.....................

MikeyKahr
01-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Hey when you guys figure out how you think, could I be next.

Sure, but it may take a while. I'm complicated! :rolleyes:

I'd kind of like to figure out how I think sometimes too!

I think I may need a few different advanced degrees to start at the task, perhaps also some sort of governmental funding. I'd probably start with moments like when you took your gun with you in a double ziploc when you showered. As good a starting point as any in my mind.

I realize we don't have much to work with and all but I'd surely like to get a grasp on it before the river crossing if you get the flow of my stream and all.

I think you don't give yourself enough credit most times. And as for the second issue, that's beyond my pay grade - I suggest you check with a urologist.

Perhaps its lack of thinking which muddies my water? Hmmm.....................

Rhetorical? :bump2:

Bawanna
01-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Hmm, I must have told you about the double zip lock bag trick huh? Works good for the hot tub too.

Wow don't recall spilling them beans. Maybe them alien cameras are for real. I'm putting my tin foil hat back on just to be safe.

PaiN
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not buttering this up because I want to like my K9 or anything like that but this has got to be the finest shooting 9mm pistols I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. Obviously it had perfect function... I fed it some of everything I had...~100 rounds of mixed UMC 115g, RWS 124g and Herters 115g plus 50 of my carry round, Federal LE Barns XPB 115g +P. The K9 points very well with two, strong and weak hand grips. I also like the trigger, I'm sure its the "NYPD trigger" but did not seem to have any ill effect on my ability to 2 or 3 tap shoot....the damn thing is so silky smooth :cool:
I officially luv this pistol.

dusty10
01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp182/packers1960/woodgripk90001.jpg

+1 Pain. I kinda love my K9 too. Here's mine. :D

newpm9er
02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
sorry...but where is this kahr tech section you speak of to run the serial number to find the make?

thx.

very decent price. I am sure you are aware this is the carbon steel slide, not stainless and it has the NYPD trigger as all K9 have (except the elite) and u have the smaller dovetail in the slide which you need to know if you change sights etc. Not knocking this K9 at all, just wanted you to be aware. I can't see how the k's can have any better trigger than the poly's as they are identical, actually the poly'shave the elite trigger in them.

again a nice gun u can go to the kahr tech section and run your serial number in there to see about whenit was made. I am going to guess without knowing the serial number 10 years. You can't shoot out a kahr, so feel good about that part.. The rubber grips are awesome. i have them on my K9 which is about 6 years old..

jocko
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
hit on FORUM (on the left side) and then hit on karh tech, THEN THE LUBE AND SERIAL NUMBER AND PROPER PREP, THEY WILL BE IN THE FIRST 4 SITCKY'S.

PaiN
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I wanted to update on the K9, its been functionally prefect not one issue though ~400 rounds since I picked it up.
I had the K9 out on the range tonight, I started with typical Federal 115g FMJ just warming up...I switched to some nice 124g NATO loads and started letting it rip :laser:
Somewhere between the double taps and weak hand exercises, I developed a big "you-know-what" eating grin....I love this pistol, it just so freakin' good :D