PDA

View Full Version : Just joined the Kahr Club

BobR
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi to all, I am new to the forum, and the Kahr owners club.

I had recently picked up an MK 9, just last month, and this is my third trip to the range. I've put about 300 rounds through the pistol flawlessly, and it digests everything from blazer fmj to Hornady TAP, without a hiccup.

I bought the gun as a BUG, for pocket carry, ansd so I didn't bother with getting the night sights out of the box, but I am so happy with the gun I invested in a set of CT grips for it after the first range trip.

The one idiosincrasy I have noticed is that it shoots a bit low (say around 3-4" at 7 yards) with the cheap FMJ, but seems to be dead on for the hotter hollowpoint. Primarily I have been shooting it initially at 3-7 yards, but I intend to push it out to 25 next trip, as I think that is possible. About how much drop is there for an MK from that range? Has anybody noticed? Or should it be dead on?

I am getting much more out of this gun than I expected for a back-up piece. My wife likes the gun so much, she wants one for herself.

Does anyone make XS style night sights for the gun? I think I would like to add night sights, and I am definitely adding a wolf recoil rod and spring set as soon as I can.

ripley16
12-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Check out the Kahr site for accessories suitable for your new MK9.
http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Sights.asp

BobR
12-19-2010, 02:09 PM
"Ask and ye shall recieve", Thanks Ripley!

jocko
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
BobR. kahr offers the xs big dots and they are awesome, I would highly avise letting kahrinstall them, as kahrs sights are the hardest tog et off the gun and some people have actually damaged their slides in trying. U can send the slide only regular mail for about $5 and get it back in a week. Their work is flawless. Ihave the xs on my PM9 and on my P380 and love um. Mind u though, they are a close up quick acquisition "fighting" sight. not a target type sight as they cover alot beyond 15 yards..theya r emade for a purpose as is your MK9..

nice gun,

Bawanna
12-19-2010, 07:11 PM
You might check out Steve Bedairs guide rods also. He makes nice stuff and the price is very good. Good guy too. A spring from Kahr or from Wolffe is the same spring so get that either place.
Alot of guys here with Bedair guide rods.

I also love the XS Sight setup, a perfect match for the Kahrs. I have a set on my PM45 and just love them.

Your gonna love that little MK more and more without doubt.

DasFriek
12-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Hopefully i can explain this so it makes sense and just doesn't sound like garbled ramblings.
Why your seeing the lower shots with standard loads and higher with +P loads is the guns lock time and timing set by the recoil springs.
Ive found small guns more susceptible to this than larger ones.

With standard loads your bullet is exiting the barrel while the slide is still closed, Once it exits the slide cycles.
With the +P loads your slide isn't staying locked long enough for the bullet to exit the barrel and your slide has started moving rearwards and tilting the barrel up during its travel.
So actually your standard loads should be hitting right on with a six o'clock hold on the front sight. Its your +P loads that are hitting high. Unless you got to remedy #2 will they come down.
This isn't a bad thing per-se, It just how a semi auto works.

The remedy?
1. Is do nothing and the spring will lighten with time and the distance between the two types of ammo should shrink. Your standard loads will start hitting where your +P loads are now.
2. Install a heavier 22.5lb recoil spring which should get the +P loads out of the barrel before the slide lock breaks and the slide starts its rearward progress.

Being you have an MK9 if you replace the recoil spring it can be done cheaply or expensively.
You can order the heavier spring set and just replace the larger one on the captured spring guide.
Kahr sells a stainless guide rod thats a little pricey but a nice stainless steel.
But you need to order the heavier spring with it.
Lastly is buying a package from Wollf that has the guide rod and springs for $35 +shipping. I have a thread with pics in this section about it.

Personally id just not mess with it and keep shooting it until the groups start blending.

Im not a gun smith and just a gun enthusiast like many here so don't take my word as the gospel.

recoilguy
12-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Welcome enjoy as you have noticed there are many very knowlegable people here to learn from

RCG