PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Kahr K9 Elite

BobR
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I just picked up an extremely lightly used K9 Elite 98 - basically, as new. I haver been so impressed with my little MK 9, that I couldn't pass this one up when the opportunity came around.

I am trying to figure out when it was made, it is serial AX02xx. I assume being an elite 98, it will use 'old pattern sights', if I wish to upgrade to night sights ? - which I do.

I also want to put one of Steve Bedairs recoil rods into it, and pick up a spare recoil spring - the recoil spring has no compression, no wear is on the black finish of the rod at all, showing how lightly the gun was used.

jocko
12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
made around June of 2001. I would go to wolffs and order a set of 22# recoil springs for the gun . Your factory springs are 20# and they are oK but I have had the 22# in my K9 since the day I bought it, used and it has never flinched one time. I think that little extra poundage jsut adds to the reliability of the gun. It will cause that slide to go to battery with alittle more gusto but still be very maneagble to hand rack. You realize the elite K9 has the "elite" trigge rin it. which is what is on every new kahrh today except the k9 version. You have the 3/8" trigger travel.

You shouldgo to the kahr accessory section in their webb site and hit on their sites and it willshow you where to look for that dimple under the slide, which your guhn will not have, so then it will show you exactly what sights are available for your model slide. I would highly advise letting kahr install the sights to, you can send just the slide by reguar mail for about $5 and get it back in a week. Kahr's work is flawless. I have alot of bent brass punches trying to remove my K9 sights, before I got alittle smarter and ordered a sight pusher..

Make sure the gun is totally reliable before putting any optional accessories on it....

BobR
12-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, the gun is newer than I expected. I was figuring 99 at best.

In regards to sending the slide, I assume there would be the $65 charge for installation, over shipping and the purchase of the sights. I ask, because it has the lifetime warentee, but as it isn't a repair, I will assume labor isn't covered for an optional instalation.

I've got about 75 rounds through it today, including the hollowpoint. What ios the round-count for 'totally reliable', in your opinion? The 200 'break in' ?

jocko
12-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't think kahr charges $65 to install the sights. You can call and chat with them about it.

Don't put alot of faith in that lifetime warranty, as the changed that a fewyears back to 5 years and I would say the lifetime warranty is good for the original owner also. Course if you don't tell kahr you bought it used, they willnot know either and more than likely they will take care of any issues, but you will be responsible for paying its way both ways possably, or at least one way, which is fair.

Being you don't really know the history of the gun, act like it is new and give it the 200 round round break in. Hell wny not, it is a fun gun to shoot. You might want to go to the kahr tech section and hit on two threads. 1. Kahr lube chart, it is awesome. #2 propper prepping of your new kahr. it is also awesome.

You have a super handgun there, take your time with it. Doe sit have the rubber grips on it or wooden ones?? The rubber ones are IMO the best grips around. Keep the right side screws tight if you have the wooden grips, they tend to shoot loose for some reason and the right side screws must be tight.....

BobR
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
It has the rubber grips, which I like a lot. Originally, I was thinking about putting a set of wood grips on it, but as soon as I handled it in the shop, I determined to keep the rubber ones on it.

What is wierd regarding grip screws is my MK 9's only problem was the grip screws on the right side shooting loose. I lost a screw my first time out shooting it, and had to order a set so as to have spares around. Lost one as well the second time out with it, with the new CT grips on it, but everything was fine this session - I made sure they were tight before going to the range.

ripley16
12-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I would highly advise letting kahr install the sights to, you can send just the slide by reguar mail for about $5

I agree. Let Kahr install the sights. Even at the high cost, the difficulty level is high, making it a value IMHO. Let Kahr install your new recoil spring too, saving a little bit on shipping from another vendor.

from the Kahr site;
Q. What is the cost of my non-warranty service?

A. Non-warranty service will be billed at $65/hour + cost of parts + $25 shipping and handling. There is a minimum $60 charge + shipping and handling.