PDA

View Full Version : My custom alligator holster

raytor
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I have tried 3 different "ready made" rear pocket carry holsters for a Kahr P380 and found them all too thick for my dress slacks. So I had Sideguard Holsters custom make this one with thin leather molded over pistol rough side out to hold it in the pocket on drawing and a thin rear flap all stitched in a single layer rather than held with screws or rivets.
This made it much less bulky. The price was very reasonable.
Of course, being from Louisiana I had it finished in Alligator.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/220/220052/pages/1124633/Alligatorholster.jpg

recoilguy
12-21-2010, 10:29 AM
One word..............NICE!

RCG

cw45fan
12-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Excellent.

garyb
12-21-2010, 02:08 PM
You have gotta love that leather. I just can't get used to the idea of the plastic holsters, or whatever they are made of. I know guys love them and they work well, but I just love that leather. I am starting to see them with a small flap over the grip so that it truly looks like a wallet if it shows at all in the pocket. They even have a simulated zipper along the top edge. I think this is kind of a nice idea, but would make draw more difficult, but still possible.

Nice gator.

DasFriek
12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I think we may have met in another thread about pocket holsters for the PM line?
Anyhow that looks like the perfect holster for the P380.
Ive gotten some experience with back pocket holsters as thats where my bugs always reside and if i had the P380 its holster would match that exactly.

My MK9 holster with top flap has passed about every test i could be in without it being spotted as a gun.
You even got the main parts right also:
Stiff leather backing
Thin but strong gun pocket leather.
Sights exposed to help in drawing the gun smoothly.
When worn the sights are grabbed by the thumb for extraction so the gun is oriented the correct position imo.

Hows the gator for grabbing onto the pocket to keep the holster in place while drawing?
If you need more tackyness you can always take a 1/32" bit and go all the way around the edges and drill holes every 1/4" and use black waxed thread in a variety of patterns and that will grab very well also if it needs more help.

Great holster, I really like it.
Here is some pics of mine that has went threw many transformations and ended up looking very similar to the OP's, But for an MK9 which is larger of course.
I dont want to take away from your pics and holster as this thread isn't about me and my holster. Just me comparing yours to mine and how your should work as great as mine which i love, But yours looks professional while mine looks Frankenstienish.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/deathstar13/DSC00384.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/deathstar13/DSC00386.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/deathstar13/DSC00387.jpg

raytor
12-22-2010, 06:12 AM
I think we may have met in another thread about pocket holsters for the PM line?

Hows the gator for grabbing onto the pocket to keep the holster in place while drawing?
If you need more tackyness you can always take a 1/32" bit and go all the way around the edges and drill holes every 1/4" and use black waxed thread in a variety of patterns and that will grab very well also if it needs more help.

DasFriek: Yes, I think you helped me with some problems early on with my BUGs.

I really like the way you incorporated that flap to fully conceal the gun. But with the P380 being smaller, the top of my rear pants pocket closes completely and a top flat does not seem that critical. As for the alligator - after a couple of years carrying the various rear pocket holsters that I had I found that the rear flap would always stay put on drawing and it was the smaller surface area of the front gun pocket that would tend to come up. That's why I had them put it rough side out and now it really holds tight that way - in fact it's a little tough to get the holster itself out when I change pants.

The guys at Side Guard Holsters really worked well with me to get this right and I am very pleased with the end product.

jeepster09
12-22-2010, 07:00 AM
I like it ...